U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,040,154 times

Advertisements

Cairo is an odd place with those huge flood gates that drop down on the road. Made me think of the King Kong movies keeping the monster gorilla out of the village!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:15 PM

3,959 posts, read 3,489,082 times
What happened to Cairo? It's got a prime location, but the city looks practically decimated.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:58 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Seattle
San Francisco
Madison
New York City
Norfolk
New Orleans
St.Petersburg
Cape Coral
Miami Beach

Old 06-21-2015, 07:41 PM

596 posts, read 675,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Cairo, IL. Why did it take this long for somebody to mention Cairo, at the base of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, after the Missouri joins the Mississippi in St. Louis? Cairo and Chicago -- both in IL -- are two amazingly located cities, and I cannot believe Cairo is still obsolescent today!
I had forgotten about it but this is a great city for this thread. I've always wondered why no city developed there. It seems like such a logical place for one. Maybe not in the exact place of Cairo but somewhere right in that area.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:49 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,373,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Manhattan how does everything fit on that island, amazing how they make made all that work. SF has an amazing geographical location as well.
I agree with this as well. I like all the island and peninsula like cities, and I would add Charleston, SC to the list as well. Charleston layout looks pretty neat looking at it from a map, and I would also add the city of Miami Beach.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:57 PM

189 posts, read 306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I had forgotten about it but this is a great city for this thread. I've always wondered why no city developed there. It seems like such a logical place for one. Maybe not in the exact place of Cairo but somewhere right in that area.
The city that "should have developed at Cairo" is actually St. Louis. Its something thats not considered much in the rest of the country where rivers stay about the same size but the Mississippi in this part of the country is crazy. The rainwaters of an entire continent drain here so the amount of water is highly variable. Historically, it sidewinded and changed course often and during flood years, it'll become 10 times as wide.

The lowlands of this area, where Cairo is, are very vulnerable to flooding. Just a few years ago, the army corps of engineers had to blow up a few levys and sacrifice tons of farmland to save Cairo from being washed away. For the same reason, you'll never see a lot of development happen in East St. Louis in the future because the threat of flooding would make any city built there be highly vulnerable.

St. Louis was built on an even better location geographically. There just happened to be this lump of high ground at the meeting of 3 major rivers (the Missouri, Mississippi, and Illinois and 2 minor rivers Meremec, and Des Peres) Even when the area around St. Louis becomes one big lake, the city is spared:

Old 06-21-2015, 08:19 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,373,977 times
Istanbul, Turkey also have a very interesting layout spanning two continents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.