U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snifty25 View Post
Denver, CO reminds me a lot of parts of where I grew up in Milwaukee. It's culture is much more Midwestern than Western I'd say. Aslo, Fort Collins, CO.
I'm not sure what you mean by the culture. As far as religion, Denver ranks #45 out of 51 cities in religiosity, from most to least whereas Chicago is #6, Minneapolis #16 (lower than I would have thought), Milwaukee #15, Cleveland #20 and Kansas City right in the middle at 26. When my daughter left the Denver burbs for college in MN, where most of the MN students were of course from M/SP, she was amazed to find that many MN extended families got together for a big family dinner on Sunday, every Sunday. Few people do that here because they don't have families here for one thing.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_1522644.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Denver also reminded me a lot of Minneapolis.
Lots of people say that, including my daughter who grew up in the Denver area and went to college in Northfield, spent a good deal of her spare time in Mpls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 11:48 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How come OKC has a large suburb called Midwest City?

The U.S.'s national military created the "Midwest Depot" moniker for their new air base in the south-central part of the country. It was not created by locals/Okies nor were locals/Okies consulted on what to call the air force base.

Soon after the "Midwest Depot" air force base (now renamed Tinker Air Force Base) began attracting people for jobs from Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and points north like Kansas and Missouri a town called "Midwest City" sprung up to house the thousands of employees working at the base. The township followed the "Midwest Depot" moniker in naming their new burgeoning city because it was the primary feeder city to the base.

Many Okies like myself wish they would have renamed it Tinker City to match the rename of the air force base. I think it would alleviate a lot of confusion for outsiders. And for the record, having known several folks from Midwest City, I don't know of one of them who would say they are "Midwestern" or they live in the "Midwest." They would say they live in the South, the Southwest, or Southern Plains...perhaps just plain old Oklahoma. Also, they all have very Okie/Southern sounding accents because the large majority of the population of that area is extremely blue collar.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 07-30-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Couldn't begin to tell you that. But Oklahoma is not in the Midwest.
110% correct.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:58 AM

5,549 posts, read 6,977,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Parts of the Tennessee Valley in northern Alabama have a landscape that resembles the Midwest stereotype, with flat cornfields and relatively straight roads which is less typical of the Deep South. Specifically this is the area west of Huntsville, towards Decatur and Florence within 5-10 miles of the river. Of course, much of the Midwest is very different from its visual stereotype and the remainder of northern Alabama is much more hilly.
Cincinnati is in the Midwest but does not have many straight roads.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Cincinnati is in the Midwest but does not have many straight roads.
Quote: "resembles the Midwest stereotype"

Old 07-30-2018, 02:27 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Pasadena, CA
some of the middle and western parts, sure

Old 07-30-2018, 05:26 PM

941 posts, read 413,204 times
The last time I visited the Midwest was when I visited St. Louis Missouri as a little kid. I won't remember anything, but from what I see on Google Earth, I see the Midwest as a place with flat land, farm land, and not many forested areas. I'd say parts of rural Pennsylvania and rural Upstate New York that have flat land reminds me of "my view of what the Midwest would like in real life". None of the farm land in NJ has a Midwestern resemblance.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:47 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Oswego County, NY, reminds me of southwest Michigan or eastern Wisconsin.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
The last time I visited the Midwest was when I visited St. Louis Missouri as a little kid. I won't remember anything, but from what I see on Google Earth, I see the Midwest as a place with flat land, farm land, and not many forested areas. I'd say parts of rural Pennsylvania and rural Upstate New York that have flat land reminds me of "my view of what the Midwest would like in real life". None of the farm land in NJ has a Midwestern resemblance.

The Midwest is big....awfully big. Your tour on Google Earth tells part of the story only. Wisconsin, where we are, currently, is not flat, nor is it unforested.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM

5,549 posts, read 6,977,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The Midwest is big....awfully big. Your tour on Google Earth tells part of the story only. Wisconsin, where we are, currently, is not flat, nor is it unforested.
Southern Ohio is not flat either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or