U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:10 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma seemed pretty Midwestern to me despite being at a lower latitude, and so did northern Texas, for that matter. In fact, Dallas/Fort Worth seemed like Kansas City on steroids to me. Arkansas also seemed vaguely Midwestern in places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
As a Wisconsinite, my first trip to Upstate NY felt a good bit like home, so I can get with that one.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
The cheese curds there taste and smell like dirty gym socks, though. Just awful.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,194,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Oops, I should have been more specific. East bound on Highway 2.
US 2 runs parallel with I-90 by about 50 or so miles. Same scenery. Nothing looks Midwestern along that route.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:41 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,318,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
US 2 runs parallel with I-90 by about 50 or so miles. Same scenery. Nothing looks Midwestern along that route.
Quite a bit of it looks very, very much like Kansas, Nebraska, SW Minnesota, either Dakota, and even Iowa and Illinois. Basically any of the prairie states. Even some of central/eastern Oregon does.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,135 times
Pennsylvania Dutch Country feels alot more Midwestern than Pittsburgh does.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:33 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
parts of rural Wisconsin look a bit like upstate NY.
I was about to mention that!

There are parts of Wisconsin that really look like they belong in northern Appalachia. Then again; wouldn't that be the Midwest reminding one of the Northeast? haha

Wisconsin:

Similar elevation in Appalachian New York:

Likewise the great lakes plains of northern interior NY look a lot like the typical Midwest. Flat, dominated by farmland, and of course on the lake Ontario.

The north-woods region is a given considering it is located in both the northeast and the upper midwest, just with varying degrees of elevation.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Many of the smaller cities in Eastern Pennsylvania (Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton) feel like they've been pulled out of Northern Ohio or Southern Michigan.
I can understand saying that about Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, but where in Ohio/Michigan looks like Allentown? Looks like a mini-Philadelphia to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Pennsylvania Dutch Country feels alot more Midwestern than Pittsburgh does.
I can understand that if you look at the rural areas. But the small cities of that region (Lancaster, York, Lebanon, arguably Harrisburg) look nothing like smaller Midwestern cities. The same is true even for many of the smaller boroughs.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,194,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Quite a bit of it looks very, very much like Kansas, Nebraska, SW Minnesota, either Dakota, and even Iowa and Illinois. Basically any of the prairie states. Even some of central/eastern Oregon does.
I beg to differ. Pretty much that entire stretch east of the Cascades has nothing but scrubby sagebrush growing wherever the land isn't cultivated (a quintessential identifier that you're in the West), and mountains in the distance. That's something one will never see in the Midwest.

When I think of the Midwest, I think of verdant cornfields, tall grass, wooded areas with oaks and maples and elms interrupted by farmland, lots of rivers/streams and lakes and lush greenery. Even in the predominantly prairie Midwestern states like Illinois and Iowa, the countryside is still lush and green.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,716,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I beg to differ. Pretty much that entire stretch east of the Cascades has nothing but scrubby sagebrush growing wherever the land isn't cultivated (a quintessential identifier that you're in the West), and mountains in the distance. That's something one will never see in the Midwest.

When I think of the Midwest, I think of verdant cornfields, tall grass, wooded areas with oaks and maples and elms interrupted by farmland, lots of rivers/streams and lakes and lush greenery. Even in the predominantly prairie Midwestern states like Illinois and Iowa, the countryside is still lush and green.
Yeah, I think eastern Oregon and Washington resemble the western fringe of the Midwest in parts but not the "Midwest proper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or