U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,015,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I don't care if my family in Wisconsin see this... no, just, lol, no...
https://www.worldchampioncheese.org/expert-judges/

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business...65ce5f214.html

You might find this interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
North Texas reminds me of Oklahoma.
Funny that, seeing as how they are both southern. Now does it remind you of Kansas? Because Kansas is Midwestern.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 639,839 times
Midwestern culture has its origins in the Connecticut River Valley of New England. Listen closely to the inflection of people from towns like Deerfield, MA, and you'll be able to connect the dots. Really neat, IMO.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Eastern Montana looks identical to western North Dakota and the people are pretty similar.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Bismarck, ND should most certainly be classified as a Plains city, but man it sure feels Mid-Westy as all get-out. Even moreso than Grand Forks, which truly surprised me. How does a city that sits on the border of another state feel more like the State should, as opposed to its capital sitting smack dab in the center of it?

Rhetorical question of course.
Not quite sure what a "Mid-Westy" feeling is, as opposed to a Plains city feeling. Maybe you could share that.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:21 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Bismarck, ND should most certainly be classified as a Plains city, but man it sure feels Mid-Westy as all get-out. Even moreso than Grand Forks, which truly surprised me. How does a city that sits on the border of another state feel more like the State should, as opposed to its capital sitting smack dab in the center of it?

Rhetorical question of course.
I would classify Bismarck as pretty solidly Midwest, although the Missouri River does mark a dividing line between the Midwest and West so you're pretty close to leaving the Midwest there. There's sort of a transition zone. What do you mean by a "city that sits on the border of another state feel more like the State should, as opposed to its capital sitting smack dab in the center of it?" How is the state supposed to feel?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:40 AM

14,412 posts, read 26,232,814 times
I think of Erie, Buffalo etc. as being no less Midwest than Northeast Ohio. Going south from Cleveland, the forest looks not unlike the Piney Woods in East Texas, or east central North Carolina (like east/south of Raleigh, not really the Piedmont proper, but not the coast)

If you took the surrounding country and topography out of the equation, Denver and Columbus are very similar. A friend who used to live in Denver went with me to Cbus once and made that observation.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:14 PM

1,505 posts, read 522,496 times
The Central Valley. Also, Snake River Valley in Idaho (it doesn't help that everyone thinks Idaho is Iowa and vice versa).

Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The Central Valley. Also, Snake River Valley in Idaho (it doesn't help that everyone thinks Idaho is Iowa and vice versa).
Those are some people who seriously need to sharpen up their geography skills.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Those are some people who seriously need to sharpen up their geography skills.
Sadly that's a solid third of the populace, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or