U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:27 AM

3,750 posts, read 2,563,903 times

Advertisements

Raleigh gets snow almost every winter. This past winter schools were closed for 2 weeks in February because of snow. Someone coming from Chicago or Buffalo wouldn't think Raleigh gets much snow at all; but coming from San Francisco....winter here will definitely feel like winter.

The high temps have also been at or near 100 for the past week and a half with no relief in sight in the 10-day forecast!

It is a very nice area though; climate is just going to seem very extreme with what you are used to in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
fwiw, Jacksonville is the cheapest major metro with a beach in the country. Incredibly low COL (probably too low) for oceanfront and defacto oceanfront (riverfront) living.

Urban living and major metro amenities are a little lacking, but if you are considering places like Albuquerque, Des Moines, and San Antonio then Jax should be on the radar as well. Doesn't get quite as hot as Miami (though it all feels stifling hot in the summertime) but it does get quite a bit colder in the winter. Plenty of logistics jobs. Paralegal as well, just like any other city. Just some food for thought.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Raleigh gets snow almost every winter. This past winter schools were closed for 2 weeks in February because of snow. Someone coming from Chicago or Buffalo wouldn't think Raleigh gets much snow at all; but coming from San Francisco....winter here will definitely feel like winter.

The high temps have also been at or near 100 for the past week and a half with no relief in sight in the 10-day forecast!

It is a very nice area though; climate is just going to seem very extreme with what you are used to in CA.
What's happening now is a rather lengthy heatwave and not indicative of a typical Summer day. This heatwave covers a huge area of the Eastern US at the moment.
That said, having heatwaves is not atypical. It's just not fair to say that the weather of the heatwave is typical of a Summer day. Anyone coming from San Francisco to just about anywhere else in the lower 48 is going to find the Summers to be hotter.
Lastly, the benefit of being in a place like Raleigh in the Summer is that you are guaranteed that everywhere will have A/C. Unlike some places in the US that experience heatwaves, new Southern cities are well equipped to deal with it.

As for the snow, years can come and go with none. Most Winters will have one or two storms that everyone gets excited about because the world stops and everyone enjoys it for a few days. Some years can produce a large storm that dumps more than a foot but those are few and far between. Raleigh and other forested Southern cities are quite beautiful and quiet after a snow. Children play and adults telecommute.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 PM

204 posts, read 411,359 times
Thanks for the advice, all! I know it will be an adjustment what with the climate...we are SO spoiled here in San Francisco area.

Think I am panicking a little bit on Raleigh because it is so "hot" right now (not temperature wise I mean). #1 on so many lists, yet so many people already have moved there or are moving there. Worried I missed the boat already and rents/house prices are going up, up, up and it is super competitive just like SF, where I want to get away from.

OTOH, one person's experience is not another's. And there is really no way to know without going out there yourself. So crossing my fingers and am at least 70% set on Raleigh.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Check out Richmond, it's kinda like Raleigh but more dense and historic. Raleigh is a better city if you have a family and wish to settle down. You'll probably get more snow but it can't be too different, Raleigh and Richmond are less than three hours apart. The Richmond metro is smaller than the Research Triangle, too. Traffic around RTP is super painful, probably going to get worse as time goes by. Same with 440 that wraps around downtown Raleigh. This area is becoming more congested, the areas around Crabtree Valley Mall have turned into a mess.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,881,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Thanks for the advice, all! I know it will be an adjustment what with the climate...we are SO spoiled here in San Francisco area.

Think I am panicking a little bit on Raleigh because it is so "hot" right now (not temperature wise I mean). #1 on so many lists, yet so many people already have moved there or are moving there. Worried I missed the boat already and rents/house prices are going up, up, up and it is super competitive just like SF, where I want to get away from.

OTOH, one person's experience is not another's. And there is really no way to know without going out there yourself. So crossing my fingers and am at least 70% set on Raleigh.
Why Raleigh? Just curious.

Not that there's anything wrong with Raleigh, but it is a very different place from SF. Have you lived in the South before?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
I can't imagine anyone coming from San Francisco and thinking that Raleigh is expensive. Certainly there are lots of new luxury apartments downtown that are pricey but you can also actually live in the downtown area for far less money and luxury.
Starting next week, the weather becomes more typical with highs in the mid 80s to low 90s in the day and mid 60s to 70 overnight. Might there be another heatwave this Summer? Maybe...It could happen or it couldn't. The weather in most of the East is just more unpredictable than in California. If you want predictable Summer weather in the East, you have to go to South Florida where almost every day will be 90 and every night will be 80 through October.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:37 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,393,515 times
Nashville may be a contender for the OP also.

Raleigh really is for it's size has or will have just about everything or will have in the next decade. it is hard to beat which is why it's on the top of so many "Best Places" Lists It is well rounded metropolitan area economy and demographics wise. and has all the pieces for a prosperous future, minus mass transit which they are working on.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:37 PM

204 posts, read 411,359 times
Hi,

@JayJayCB- I looked at Richmond but there just doesn't seem to be a lot going on there jobs-wise, as well no major universities to supply employment like Raleigh.

For Nashville, it also seems to pay lower wages yet house prices have gone up a lot.

As to why Raleigh, the Research Triangle and it being a "brain hub" is very appealing-it is one of few areas like this where it is still affordable.

Lastly, SF to NC I know is not a typical pattern- people here are moving in droves to Seattle, Portland, Austin etc. I feel as if I am moving it might as well be "full bore" and all the way across country, I've been to Seattle and Portland and it reminds me little too much of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.