U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:32 AM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Ignorance is bliss!
Try as you might the one thing most of Miami isn't? is Southern in culture.
Wrong, no matter how hard you try to deny it. It's right in your own back yard, and everyone knows it.

Besides, you live and work in Orlando. It may as well be a different State than Miami, in almost every way.

You are in total denial, and feel so threatened by your proximity to anything Southern that it should be a case study in the failure of many South Floridians to acknowledge where they actually live.

Islip is not a Northern suburb of Jacksonville, no matter how much you wish it were.

Last edited by JMatl; 06-24-2015 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:21 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,165,936 times
Why allow your political views to affect your potential for living in a different area?

Old 06-24-2015, 03:26 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. I guess the Dade County Schools are as bad as their reputation.

I agree except the part about the Confederate flag. CNN interviewed a few state representatives from SC last night. They quoted the old revisionist crap the Civil War was about states rights against an abusive Fed Govt. Lol, the southern states seceded before Lincoln was even inaugurated, but every single American of the day knew Lincoln was for halting the expansion of slavery in the west. I digress though.
Those representatives want the flag to keep flying. I just don't get the love affair southerners have for a rag flown by traitors. I'd burn the thing.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
A lot of us in Florida don't consider ourselves "Southerners". It's not disrespect but it's a very different culture down here. We have a saying that says the farther south you go in Florida the more "Northern" it gets!
Go to a Miami Dolphins-NY Jets game and half of the fans will be rooting for the Jets. A lot of Florida was developed by Yankees in developers Henry Flagler & Henry Plant.
When I think of Southerners I think of grits, rednecks, trailer parks, Guns and the Confederate flag. As for Miami it is quite Liberal.
I remember visiting a relative in Orlando and we passed a town east of Orlando called Bithlo which was full of trailer parks and they commented "That is where the Rednecks live".

My cousins grew up and still live in Hollywood FL. They are not and never have been "Southern" in any way. My uncle and aunt moved down there in 1968 to an area filled with people from PA, NJ, NY and Ohio, IL, etc. They knew no one that acted "Southern". When a guy born and raised in Fort Lauderdale calls the rebel flag a flag of treason, then you know he ain't Southern.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
A lot of us in Florida don't consider ourselves "Southerners". It's not disrespect but it's a very different culture down here. We have a saying that says the farther south you go in Florida the more "Northern" it gets!
Go to a Miami Dolphins-NY Jets game and half of the fans will be rooting for the Jets. A lot of Florida was developed by Yankees in developers Henry Flagler & Henry Plant.
When I think of Southerners I think of grits, rednecks, trailer parks, Guns and the Confederate flag. As for Miami it is quite Liberal.
I remember visiting a relative in Orlando and we passed a town east of Orlando called Bithlo which was full of trailer parks and they commented "That is where the Rednecks live".
So you think Southerners = Redneck?

I personally don't believe there is much of a North - South divide in this country (when it comes to culture/lifestyle). the biggest divide in this country is the Urban - Suburban - Rural divide, and its still not that big of a divide.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:14 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
My cousins grew up and still live in Hollywood FL. They are not and never have been "Southern" in any way. My uncle and aunt moved down there in 1968 to an area filled with people from PA, NJ, NY and Ohio, IL, etc. They knew no one that acted "Southern". When a guy born and raised in Fort Lauderdale calls the rebel flag a flag of treason, then you know he ain't Southern.
I honestly now think that there is a different perspective on where Miami is when it comes to blacks and whites. Because my family and friends in Dade and Broward look at themselves as Southern.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:19 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Why allow your political views to affect your potential for living in a different area?
The South isn't even that much more conservative than the rest of the nation so i don't understand these threads lol...

Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 PM

6,140 posts, read 2,844,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I agree except the part about the Confederate flag. CNN interviewed a few state representatives from SC last night. They quoted the old revisionist crap the Civil War was about states rights against an abusive Fed Govt. Lol, the southern states seceded before Lincoln was even inaugurated, but every single American of the day knew Lincoln was for halting the expansion of slavery in the west. I digress though.
Those representatives want the flag to keep flying. I just don't get the love affair southerners have for a rag flown by traitors. I'd burn the thing.
Lincoln was against slavery but it was NOT his main motive for the war he only issued the emancipation proclamation when the union was losing terribly to give his soldiers something to fight for because most really didn't care for the south and had no ties to it so it didn't matter if it was part of the union or not so they had no morale or inspiration to fight on. I believe if I am not mistaken the south did have a few points on the abusive federal government I learned them last year in history cant remember them though lol. tom you bash the souths culture weather and people I think you secretly are jealous of the south lol .

Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Lincoln was against slavery but it was NOT his main motive for the war he only issued the emancipation proclamation when the union was losing terribly to give his soldiers something to fight for because most really didn't care for the south and had no ties to it so it didn't matter if it was part of the union or not so they had no morale or inspiration to fight on. I believe if I am not mistaken the south did have a few points on the abusive federal government I learned them last year in history cant remember them though lol. tom you bash the souths culture weather and people I think you secretly are jealous of the south lol .

You don't know much about weather or history. Go read a book about the Civil War, and not learn it from neo-Confederate southerners. Lincoln hated slavery, but his goal was to prevent its expansion westward. Southern leaders didn't care and as soon as his election was over they started the secession. And the war was all about slavery. Go read the declarations of secession from the various states and it is as clear as day what their motivation was. Why was Lincoln determined to see the 13th Amendment passed if he didn't really care about slavery? Why was there slavery before the Civil War, and none after? Hmm. Yeah, the Civil War was really about an abusive Fed Govt. Bulls... You know what was abusive, the Fugitive Slave Act passed by the Fed Govt at the behest of the South. Go look up the Fugitive Slave Act and how it infringed on the rights of Northern States.

And yeah, the climate of the South is still the most flawed subtropical climate on earth. Sydney Australia climate, Buenos Aires climate, Durban, Naples Italy etc. etc. don't get single digit temps ever. Yet deep Southern cities like Mobile, Savannah, Charleston have gone down to single digit temps that killed all kinds of subtropical vegetation. In Australia, at the latitude of Charleston, they grow citrus commercially, and never worry about freezes. The winter in the South sucks if you like stable warm temps, and can't hold a candle to any other humid subtropical climate in the world. Just the way it is.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The South isn't even that much more conservative than the rest of the nation so i don't understand these threads lol...

Yes it is. PA is a conservative state, yet we threw out a crackpot like Santorum. The South welcomes crackpot politicians. PA has gay marriage, and yet name one southern states that does. They thump their bibles, that is what they do best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or