U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes it is. PA is a conservative state, yet we threw out a crackpot like Santorum. The South welcomes crackpot politicians. PA has gay marriage, and yet name one southern states that does. They thump their bibles, that is what they do best.
Not really, its not even the most conservative region in the nation.

Same Sex Marriage is legal in Maryland, West Virginia, Florida and the Carolina's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not really, its not even the most conservative region in the nation.

Same Sex Marriage is legal in Maryland, West Virginia, Florida and the Carolina's.

Not in the Carolinas by a long shot.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to disappoint you but that is not true

Gay marriage begins in South Carolina

Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 AM

5,731 posts, read 3,203,746 times
Quote:
Yes it is. PA is a conservative state, yet we threw out a crackpot like Santorum. The South welcomes crackpot politicians. PA has gay marriage, and yet name one southern states that does. They thump their bibles, that is what they do best.
You're good at making huge, sweeping statements, huh? In your mind, you justify the level of conservatism in PA; in my mind, someone from Pennsylvania is in NO position to judge how conservative the South is. Because, where I come from, Pennsylvania is considered pretty right wing and redneck. It's all relative.

And, please. Pennsylvania passed legal same-sex marriage, what, last year? Tell ya what: you can lecture another region on ITS conservatism when PA becomes a sea of blue instead of red in a presidential election; when PA has universal healthcare; and when PA has legal weed. And that's just for starters.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-25-2015 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:39 AM

6,140 posts, read 2,844,878 times
Quote:
You don't know much about weather or history. Go read a book about the Civil War, and not learn it from neo-Confederate southerners. Lincoln hated slavery, but his goal was to prevent its expansion westward. Southern leaders didn't care and as soon as his election was over they started the secession. And the war was all about slavery. Go read the declarations of secession from the various states and it is as clear as day what their motivation was. Why was Lincoln determined to see the 13th Amendment passed if he didn't really care about slavery? Why was there slavery before the Civil War, and none after? Hmm. Yeah, the Civil War was really about an abusive Fed Govt. Bulls... You know what was abusive, the Fugitive Slave Act passed by the Fed Govt at the behest of the South. Go look up the Fugitive Slave Act and how it infringed on the rights of Northern States.

And yeah, the climate of the South is still the most flawed subtropical climate on earth. Sydney Australia climate, Buenos Aires climate, Durban, Naples Italy etc. etc. don't get single digit temps ever. Yet deep Southern cities like Mobile, Savannah, Charleston have gone down to single digit temps that killed all kinds of subtropical vegetation. In Australia, at the latitude of Charleston, they grow citrus commercially, and never worry about freezes. The winter in the South sucks if you like stable warm temps, and can't hold a candle to any other humid subtropical climate in the world. Just the way it is.
Lincoln said his main goal for the civil war was preserving the union. huh I never disagreed with you about the weather in the south I just thought you where over exaggerating it. oh yes might I add the one who wins the war rights the history so all the history on the civil war we are taught is from the unions standpoint and a lot of it is not necessarily right. read these 2 links history.com even says the main goal was to preserve the union at least for half the war it was until the union started losing. Lincoln himself said if he could save the union without freeing a single slave he would do it but then he said if he could do it by freeing all slaves he would do it meaning he believed saving the union was more important than freeing the slaves.
Civil War
Emancipation Proclamation - American Civil War - HISTORY.com

Old 06-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're good at making huge, sweeping statements, huh? In your mind, you justify the level of conservatism in PA; in my mind, someone from Pennsylvania is in NO position to judge how conservative the South is. Because, where I come from, Pennsylvania is considered pretty right wing and redneck. It's all relative.

And, please. Pennsylvania passed legal same-sex marriage, what, last year? Tell ya what: you can lecture another region on ITS conservatism when PA becomes a sea of blue instead of red in a presidential election; when PA has universal healthcare; and when PA has legal weed. And that's just for starters.

Lol, please tell me that last time PA was red in a presidential election. PA has been blue in every presidential election since 1992. Show me one state in the South to match that. Weed is hardly legal in other blue states and our Republican Governor accepted Obamacare. And now that we threw him out of office for a liberal democratic governor, much more will happen. Our new Gov announced that should the Supreme Court throw out the Fed Health Exchange, PA has a contingency plan to set up our own health exchange.

PA is far far more progressive than any single state in the South and you know it.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Lincoln said his main goal for the civil war was preserving the union. huh I never disagreed with you about the weather in the south I just thought you where over exaggerating it. oh yes might I add the one who wins the war rights the history so all the history on the civil war we are taught is from the unions standpoint and a lot of it is not necessarily right. read these 2 links history.com even says the main goal was to preserve the union at least for half the war it was until the union started losing. Lincoln himself said if he could save the union without freeing a single slave he would do it but then he said if he could do it by freeing all slaves he would do it meaning he believed saving the union was more important than freeing the slaves.
Civil War
Emancipation Proclamation - American Civil War - HISTORY.com

Again I ask you, why did the southern states secede before Lincoln was even inaugurated. What was it about Lincoln that they decided to make such a dramatic move before he was even in office. It was because every single American of the day knew his goal was to prevent the expansion of slavery westward. When you prevent it moving westward, the slave states become a small minority, lose their power, and feared the Fed Gov would have the votes to outlaw slavery. Simple as that.

Go read Alexander Stephens cornerstone speech. It gets so tiring refuting these stupid arguments southerners throw out there. The history is very clear, and you all are in denial.

Just go ahead and get out of the Union already if you are still stinging about your loss of that war. You lost, its over and done and we are a better nation for it. Move on. And tear down all those monuments to traitors. Personally I hope people start defacing them constantly until they give up and take them down.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,203,746 times
Quote:
Lol, please tell me that last time PA was red in a presidential election. PA has been blue in every presidential election since 1992.

PA is far far more progressive than any single state in the South and you know it.
PA voted Democrat, that is true, but BARELY. If it weren't for (certain parts of ) the urban centers, it would have been overwhelmingly Republican. Popular vote maps of PA clearly show that, other than the small blue patches around Philly and Pittsburgh, most counties in PA are red. That is true in at least a couple of other "liberal" states, as well.

I'm not arguing that the South isn't more politically conservative than other regions, but a closer look at other states' voting histories reveals that they"re not nearly as liberal as they claim to be. PA certainly isn't, that's for sure.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:13 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
It's been legal in the Carolinas for several months now. Keep up.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:12 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,507 times
PA may be conservative but not on the same level. parts of the Deep South voted over 95 percent Rebublican during the last couple of presidential elections. The most conservative precincts in PA only got to the lower 80s for the Republicans. As for social conservatism, it does not get more so than South Georgia, rural parts of Mississippi, and the Texas panhandle. Here are a few examples:

From a member of US Election Atlas Forum: 2012 White Obama Lovers Map by County Project; TX 2nd Revision!

From Vetrans Today: Religion-in-the-US-Evangelical-Protestant-Rates-of-Adherence-County-Map | Veterans Today

Also from US Election Atlas: Same-sex marriage map by county/state
Don't see any areas of PA being quite that extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or