U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times
Reputation: 5394

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You own link states they starting issuing marriage licenses yesterday, so yes.

Welcome to Texas and the South:


Texas Attorney General Encourages Court Clerks To Ignore Supreme Court, Turn Away Same-Sex Couples | ThinkProgress


Will your hated Fed Govt have to intervene like they did in the 1960's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2015, 01:07 AM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have never sat in a bar in PA like I did in Mobile, AL and listen to the bar tender and patrons mock gay people, liberals, and the President. The South is just on a different level than anywhere else in the US. It just feels different as if it a different country. Many Europeans have noted the same thing. The South is just different. Throughout the history of the US they have been dragged kicking and screaming(of course because of the Fed Govt) to treat minorities of every kind more fairly. It is sad really that the US has such a large region within the nation that is so regressive. Just imagine if they had prevailed during the Civil War.
So...based on a bar with some ignorant bigots in Mobile AL the South is the worst? I hope you realize that no region of the country is monolithic. There are better areas and worse areas - just like anywhere else. Some are regressive, some aren't. There are just as many areas of Pennsylvania that are regressive too, so there is no need to look down your nose at an entire region based on your limited experience in a very small areas of it. That is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 01:08 AM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Welcome to Texas and the South:


Texas Attorney General Encourages Court Clerks To Ignore Supreme Court, Turn Away Same-Sex Couples | ThinkProgress


Will your hated Fed Govt have to intervene like they did in the 1960's?
I have to tell you it isn't smart to judge the entire region based on one bigot's actions. It would be easy to dig up a similar story on this subject from your little corner of the world. You need to stop - it's offensive and ignorant.

So I did, and it was very easy. Behold, I give you the governor of Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Governor Suing to Block Same-Sex Marriage Licenses - ABC News Shocking, no?

The difference here is that I'm not small-minded enough to judge the entire state or region based on the stupidity of one politician. You, on the other hand...

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-29-2015 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,724 posts, read 3,199,575 times
Reputation: 7161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Frankly there are far better warm climates in Europe to choose from than the South. Coastal Spain blows away the South in terms of winter warmth and not getting the extreme cold the South does. And of course you don't have to deal with crazy right wing religious types. I have no intention of spending time down there in retirement. There are much better places in the world where people won't ostracize you because of your sexuality. Check out Barcelona and Sitges. Been there and it is beautiful.
Hate to break it to you, but you sound as intolerant as all the "crazy right wing religious types" you refer to. And as ignorant. And as myopic. If it's not cool to ostracize someone because of his/her sexuality (and it isn't), then why is it okay for YOU to ostracize anyone because of their religious beliefs?

I repeat: it's all relative. States like PA and Michigan are far more religious than it is where I grew up (there would never be a a Rick Santorum to "throw out" in the first place. Never). On the other hand, I've found the South isn't as religious as it's usually portrayed to be. I know many born and bred Southerners, for example, who never attend church.

So, once again, the difference between some northern states and the South on that score isn't nearly as big as you'd like to believe. FWIW, I've never once felt ostracized here for my lack of religious commitment. I've never felt it to be an issue in the slightest.

As another poster said, it doesn't bother me if anyone wants to pray or study the Bible, Talmud, or Koran any more than it does with whom or how often someone chooses to have sex. It's none of my business, and, quite frankly, I feel no need or desire to surround myself with people who believe what I believe or who choose to live their lives as I do mine. Clearly, however, YOU do.

Keep telling yourself that you're more open-minded and tolerant. You can convince yourself of that, obviously, but you'll never convince me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63270
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
However, the South is mostly one ethnic group, 16 conservative Protestant religions, people who like hunting, guns and NASCAR. So I would not fit in.
Oh, brother.

I've lived in the south for about fifty years. I don't like ANY of the above activities and never have. I have never hung out with people who are particularly interested in those activities. I have always had tons of friends and tons of fun doing just about anything BUT activities which involve hunting, guns or NASCAR.

"I don't shoot or race or chew, and I don't hang with them what do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,635 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Reputation: 9577
The last few posts are showing how close minded people can be about an entire region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 PM
AT9
 
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
691 posts, read 1,043,534 times
Reputation: 503
I'm a conservative who loved living in the middle of Minneapolis. So, I'd think a liberal can probably squeak by in a bunch of Southern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,099 posts, read 1,123,809 times
Reputation: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I'm a conservative who loved living in the middle of Minneapolis. So, I'd think a liberal can probably squeak by in a bunch of Southern cities.
I'm highly conservative and Minneapolis is the only city in the Midwest I actually like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM
 
378 posts, read 354,931 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you sound as intolerant as all the "crazy right wing religious types" you refer to. And as ignorant. And as myopic. If it's not cool to ostracize someone because of his/her sexuality (and it isn't), then why is it okay for YOU to ostracize anyone because of their religious beliefs?

I repeat: it's all relative. States like PA and Michigan are far more religious than it is where I grew up (there would never be a a Rick Santorum to "throw out" in the first place. Never). On the other hand, I've found the South isn't as religious as it's usually portrayed to be. I know many born and bred Southerners, for example, who never attend church.

So, once again, the difference between some northern states and the South on that score isn't nearly as big as you'd like to believe. FWIW, I've never once felt ostracized here for my lack of religious commitment. I've never felt it to be an issue in the slightest.

As another poster said, it doesn't bother me if anyone wants to pray or study the Bible, Talmud, or Koran any more than it does with whom or how often someone chooses to have sex. It's none of my business, and, quite frankly, I feel no need or desire to surround myself with people who believe what I believe or who choose to live their lives as I do mine. Clearly, however, YOU do.

Keep telling yourself that you're more open-minded and tolerant. You can convince yourself of that, obviously, but you'll never convince me.
Actually, Rick Santorum was born in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Reputation: 4463
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Welcome to Texas and the South:


Texas Attorney General Encourages Court Clerks To Ignore Supreme Court, Turn Away Same-Sex Couples | ThinkProgress


Will your hated Fed Govt have to intervene like they did in the 1960's?
How offensive of you to assume that I hate the Federal Government simply because I live in the South.

I'm originally from Cleveland, and ended up here after my Dad's job transferred us all over the place including stints in NC, GA & FL. As a young guy I was in the Navy, and as an adult I have continued to travel the world due to my profession. As my job is now virtual, I could live anywhere. I live here by CHOICE.

Tom, you and your ilk are the ones driving wedges between us all. Your entrenched hatred of an entire region of your own country and it's 100 million inhabitants is radical and extremely divisive, in my opinion.

Thankfully, your wish for the U.S. to fracture and implode will never happen in our lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top