Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetarheel View Post
i have to tell you it isn't smart to judge the entire region based on one bigot's actions. It would be easy to dig up a similar story on this subject from your little corner of the world. You need to stop - it's offensive and ignorant.

So i did, and it was very easy. Behold, i give you the governor of pennsylvania: pennsylvania governor suing to block same-sex marriage licenses - abc news shocking, no?

The difference here is that i'm not small-minded enough to judge the entire state or region based on the stupidity of one politician. You, on the other hand...
ka-boom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
How offensive of you to assume that I hate the Federal Government simply because I live in the South.

I'm originally from Cleveland, and ended up here after my Dad's job transferred us all over the place including stints in NC, GA & FL. As a young guy I was in the Navy, and as an adult I have continued to travel the world due to my profession. As my job is now virtual, I could live anywhere. I live here by CHOICE.

Tom, you and your ilk are the ones driving wedges between us all. Your entrenched hatred of an entire region of your own country and it's 100 million inhabitants is radical and extremely divisive, in my opinion.

Thankfully, your wish for the U.S. to fracture and implode will never happen in our lifetimes.
Amen and amen.

As a southerner from a military family, with a father, brother, daughter, son and two sons in law who have served their country in the US military and in various combat locations, I find it ridiculous for anyone to assume that this southerner hates the US government or the Union. My family has served this country, and the federal government, going all the way back to the Revolutionary War (I have ancestors who fought for the Union as well as the Confederacy). I have ancestors who died for this country. I have relatives who were captured, imprisoned, injured, MIA, etc. MY OWN CHILDREN served in combat units and though so far they have been lucky enough to escape serious injury, they have lost many friends and not long ago my husband and I actually went to Arlington to visit the graves - GRAVES, not grave, MULTIPLE graves - of my son's comrades who were killed while he was serving with them in Iraq.

These posts from this guy, which drip with hatred of the south, tell me (and I assume others) much more about his character than they do about the southern states.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and amen.

As a southerner from a military family, with a father, brother, daughter, son and two sons in law who have served their country in the US military and in various combat locations, I find it ridiculous for anyone to assume that this southerner hates the US government or the Union. My family has served this country, and the federal government, going all the way back to the Revolutionary War (I have ancestors who fought for the Union as well as the Confederacy). I have ancestors who died for this country. I have relatives who were captured, imprisoned, injured, MIA, etc. MY OWN CHILDREN served in combat units and though so far they have been lucky enough to escape serious injury, they have lost many friends and not long ago my husband and I actually went to Arlington to visit the graves - GRAVES, not grave, MULTIPLE graves - of my son's comrades who were killed while he was serving with them in Iraq.

These posts from this guy, which drip with hatred of the south, tell me (and I assume others) much more about his character than they do about the southern states.
I would rep you if I could.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I'm a conservative who loved living in the middle of Minneapolis. So, I'd think a liberal can probably squeak by in a bunch of Southern cities.
Most southern cities are majority liberal, so I'm sure a liberal would feel right at home in almost any southern city.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Most southern cities are majority liberal, so I'm sure a liberal would feel right at home in almost any southern city.
Most vote majority Democrat in presidential elections, but I wouldn't most are majority liberal. But there are enough liberals in most sizable cities in the South for a liberal to feel comfortable.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 PM

346 posts, read 647,275 times
Yeah, especially on a local level, there are still many relatively conservative southern Democrats; maybe not old school Dixiecrats but people who's politics match Jim Webb of Virginia - granted they are much less powerful than even 15 years ago. Many African Americans are not socially liberal either.

Still, nearly any city with over 100,000 people or with a public or non-denominational private university is going to have spaces for people who are liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.