U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2015, 07:00 AM
 
3,463 posts, read 4,550,815 times
Reputation: 7127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Fair enough. My experience may not represent everyone else's experiences when dealing with southern culture. However, I have found that overall, northerners are more acceptable to liberal thinking......of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.
I think its more of a Rural vs City thing. I lived in Vermont for a while, a state that somehow has gotten the label of "liberal" (it def was not!!) and was among some of the scariest, most racist rednecks I have ever lived around. The same with NE-PA. I guess it depends what your priorities are. I will take the slower pace and overall general "niceness" of the south over the supposedly free-thinking, but hyper-fast pace of the north any day. 15 years ago I wouldn't have, but getting older, I see the futility of politics and making that a priority. There is only one conservative state that scares me, and that is Tennessee. And that is only because road trips through there have yielded a few "Easy Rider" moments with scary locals in Johnson City and Jelico for instance . . . . Other than those episodes, Ive had no trouble anywhere in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2015, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,148 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Reputation: 63918
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
I do not care what some posters say. No! A liberal cannot be happy in the South. Been there and though tolerated, was always on the outside looking in. Worst yet, when at cookouts after people had been drinking and their inhibitions lowered, I have been subject to ridicule and unwanted blame.

My experience with the south is that they are more polite one on one, but when when someone riles them up in a crowd then they are down right nasty. Even the apologist when defending you for your views will in turn tell you that they are sorry that everyone was so rude to you but that they would not be that way if you were not so wrong.

I believe that this country would be a lot happier if the South left the union and became it's own country...... I know a lot of people in the South that would like to see that happen too.
"A man is known by the company he keeps."

I've lived in the South nearly my whole life and I've never once been to any sort of cookout where people started ganging up on liberals. In fact, I don't think I've ever been to a cookout at which every person there was of one particular political bent. Even my own family is very diverse politically.

I also don't know a single southerner who actually wants the south or their state to secede.

Not saying people weren't actually rude to you, but if these happenings were commonplace, I'd say you were definitely hanging out with bottom feeders, and that says as much about you as it does about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 AM
 
110 posts, read 85,903 times
Reputation: 77
If I based it solely on the SC forums, particularly the Greenville forum, I would say a liberal cannot be happy in the south.

chasing a utopia that doesn't exist can lead to unhappiness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 08:47 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,250 posts, read 19,209,535 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
Just keep your "liberal & atheist" opinions to yourself and you will do fine.
I wish EVERYONE, regardless of political and spiritual belief, would do that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 AM
 
29,962 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Reputation: 18552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
If I based it solely on the SC forums, particularly the Greenville forum, I would say a liberal cannot be happy in the south.
That's because the Upstate is the most conservative region of a very conservative state.

Columbia and Charleston aren't liberal enclaves but they are more moderate and a liberal could live there relatively comfortably within the cities themselves. Most of the outskirts are deep red territory however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM
 
110 posts, read 85,903 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because the Upstate is the most conservative region of a very conservative state.

Columbia and Charleston aren't liberal enclaves but they are more moderate and a liberal could live there relatively comfortably within the cities themselves. Most of the outskirts are deep red territory however.
i lived in Columbia and Charleston too. Never noticed any difference politically. The liberals in the Columbia and Charleston forums complain all the time too, but less republicans post on those two forums.

the most rural and poor states in SC mostly all voted for Obama. The affluent counties and areas of counties went to Romney. the outskirts are actually mostly deep blue which makes sense given Democrats are aiming to get the poor vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM
 
50 posts, read 61,156 times
Reputation: 26
I think the atheist part may be one of the harder things about moving to the south. In many areas of the south, a lot of social activities are through the churches. People commonly ask what church you attend, or if you're looking for a new church home (if you say you don't attend church). This was common in parts of the midwest too, so it may not be uncomfortable for you, but I've known a few non-religious folks who had trouble connecting socially because so many activities in their new locations were through churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 11:15 AM
 
110 posts, read 85,903 times
Reputation: 77
church is overstated.

I work in the engineering profession in Greenville SC. Never had anybody invite me to church or hear them talking about religion in the workplace.

you can on a site like Meetup.com and see numerous liberal groups or non-religious oriented groups in SC to join.

SC is like 45 percent Democrat. It is not as conservative / Republican as people say, sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,248 posts, read 4,691,927 times
Reputation: 16403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I like Southern culture in general, but I'm not a fan of conservative politics. Are there areas in the South where me being a liberal atheist would not offend people? I'm not particularly fond of the culture of the West Coast and Northeast, as I prefer people who are more outgoing and don't beat around the bush.
What is it you like about southern culture? Have you spent much time down here? Because having moved here from the Twin Cities 3 years ago, the biggest adjustment I've had to face is cultural, not political. I feel like I moved to a different country (and maybe a different century) rather than a different state. I won't go into an anti-southern rant, but I'll just say that whatever charm the area once seemed to hold has long since worn off, and while there are some things I do like about the south, overall I absolutely hate it.

I think that if you're thinking of moving here from Minneapolis (as your username suggests), you should give a lot of thought to whether you're considering a rural or an urban area. Many urban areas (especially college and university towns) aren't bad, but if you move to a rural area, you're going to quickly learn that every one of those stereotypes about the south has a reason for it. Wanting to be around people who don't beat around the bush is all well and good, but don't underestimate the value of just being around people who can actually spell the word "bush." Outgoing doesn't mean much if you don't have anything remotely intelligent to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 11:31 AM
 
29,962 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Reputation: 18552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
i lived in Columbia and Charleston too. Never noticed any difference politically. The liberals in the Columbia and Charleston forums complain all the time too, but less republicans post on those two forums.
I'm not sure exactly how you're supposed to notice a difference politically in terms of day-to-day living in a state like SC that doesn't vary much culturally, but the data clearly shows that Richland and Charleston counties are deep purplish compared to Greenville County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top