Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:08 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Where? Overall CT has a much better education system than most states. In fact the northeast. Only CT's major cities have an awful school system like Bridgeport and Hartford. There may be some small towns in Litchfield County that are low performing and many towns plan to close schools since there are less kids due to population loss. The governor of CT plans to not cut spending on education. He thinks throwing money at it will help which is not going to help. Obama did the same thing to Detroits school system and yet it fixed nothing. They actually lost some of the funds.
lol Didn't the gov have brand new laptops sent to Detroit schools and then almost 2,000 of them were stolen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 02:32 PM

205 posts, read 249,267 times
IMHO,

I think that outside the trickle of population and economic growth North Central, Northeast, and southeastern Mississippi,

I think my state is in a pretty mediocre situation, and this is just the beginning of the end if we don't do something about our many social problems throughout the different regions of the State.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:25 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
IMHO,

I think that outside the trickle of population and economic growth North Central, Northeast, and southeastern Mississippi,

I think my state is in a pretty mediocre situation, and this is just the beginning of the end if we don't do something about our many social problems throughout the different regions of the State.
Not trying to start a turf war here but Mississippi is literally in last place in almost every human development index survey. Education is low, less workforce protection, less union rights, and low quality of life. They need to budget better but it is tough to do that in certain areas. I'm not too familiar with Mississippi. Is your state growing well in regards to development, population, and job growth?

Old 06-21-2015, 06:58 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
IMHO,

Based on the time I've spent in Mississippi, it seems to me that the quality of life gets better away from I-20, and worse toward I-20. Hattiesburg and the Mississippi Gulf Coast are doing OK to the south, and Tupelo and the southern suburbs of Memphis are doing OK to the north, but Jackson, Meridian, Greenville, Vicksburg and Natchez are in pretty bad shape.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:23 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Natural Resources: The Southwest and California. The water issues are real.
Economy: Rust Belt States, and Deep South

I am not going to diffentiate either, The Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Northeast are pretty healthy in the grand scheme of things. The pacific NW and Great Plains (MN, Iowa, Nebraska, Dakotas) also seems very healthy.

I am not going to say there is a magical solution either. You have conservative states failing, and liberal ones in trouble. And conservative states thriving, and liberal states thriving.

Best: Nebreska, Iowa, Minnesota, or Massachuesettes.

My thought it is easier to find states in bad situations these days. The truth is...the best scenario is to be one with nothing to write home about.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Natural Resources: The Southwest and California. The water issues are real.
Economy: Rust Belt States, and Deep South

I am not going to diffentiate either, The Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Northeast are pretty healthy in the grand scheme of things. The pacific NW and Great Plains (MN, Iowa, Nebraska, Dakotas) also seems very healthy.

I am not going to say there is a magical solution either. You have conservative states failing, and liberal ones in trouble. And conservative states thriving, and liberal states thriving.

Best: Nebreska, Iowa, Minnesota, or Massachuesettes.

My thought it is easier to find states in bad situations these days. The truth is...the best scenario is to be one with nothing to write home about.

The Southeast IS the Deep South.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:26 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Based on the time I've spent in Mississippi, it seems to me that the quality of life gets better away from I-20, and worse toward I-20. Hattiesburg and the Mississippi Gulf Coast are doing OK to the south, and Tupelo and the southern suburbs of Memphis are doing OK to the north, but Jackson, Meridian, Greenville, Vicksburg and Natchez are in pretty bad shape.
The delta is probably the worst place in the US in terms of quality of life, and the cities you mentioned are struggling with few quality paying jobs and many residents in poverty. If Mississippi doesn't have an economic revival soon it will only continue to get worse.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Nevada highest unemployment in the country, Michigan and Ohio hate to pick on them states with many dying industries but they have a lot of hard working blue collar folks its horrible, Rhode Island high unemployment and bad economy and high cost of living, Georgia same with Rhode Island, Arizona/Florida although not for wealthy retirees but for young people needing high paying and California(mostly because of state budget concerns) still a great state and a leader in the US for a lot of corporations like Apple and tech companies.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:42 PM

110 posts, read 116,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Do you think there are any states where its future seems dismal?
I currently live in Connecticut and there are many issues in this state that seem to get worse and worse. The situation in the state will get worse before it gets better. Many people and businesses are fleeing this state in droves thanks to high taxes, slow growth, and bad governance. Yet the government in this state thinks its doing a really good job when it fact they are doing more harm than good. In fact many of our states biggest employers are thinking of leaving. General Electric being one of them. I might actually leave this state because my company is looking to move down south to either Virginia and Texas. The only thing i do like about this state is its high quality of life that you can't get anywhere else. Anyway, are there any states that you can think of where its future seems depressing, downhill, and dreary?
Connecticut is the only state where you can get a high quality of life? lol

Old 06-21-2015, 07:45 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Nevada highest unemployment in the country, Michigan and Ohio hate to pick on them states with many dying industries but they have a lot of hard working blue collar folks its horrible, Rhode Island high unemployment and bad economy and high cost of living, Georgia same with Rhode Island, Arizona/Florida although not for wealthy retirees but for young people needing high paying and California(mostly because of state budget concerns) still a great state and a leader in the US for a lot of corporations like Apple and tech companies.
Georgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.