U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:53 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,216,003 times

Advertisements

Do you think there are any states where its future seems dismal?
I currently live in Connecticut and there are many issues in this state that seem to get worse and worse. The situation in the state will get worse before it gets better. Many people and businesses are fleeing this state in droves thanks to high taxes, slow growth, and bad governance. Yet the government in this state thinks its doing a really good job when it fact they are doing more harm than good. In fact many of our states biggest employers are thinking of leaving. General Electric being one of them. I might actually leave this state because my company is looking to move down south to either Virginia and Texas. The only thing i do like about this state is its high quality of life that you can't get anywhere else. Anyway, are there any states that you can think of where its future seems depressing, downhill, and dreary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
The only states where the future is dismal are states that have major population centers in areas that rely on outside sources for water. Things are not going to be rosy for Arizona and Nevada in the coming years. California's not doing so hot in this regard, either.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,069,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The only states where the future is dismal are states that have major population centers in areas that rely on outside sources for water. Things are not going to be rosy for Arizona and Nevada in the coming years. California's not doing so hot in this regard, either.
I absolutely agree with this. People seem in denial, but look at California's current problem. If there is an easy answer, as people always like to say, why don't they use it?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The question is how far in the future are you talking about? 25 years? 50 years? As the towns and cities grow, there is plenty of money to build new water reservoirs and infrastructure. But are budgets getting tight? As California, New Mexico, and Arizona continue to grow at an alarming rate I wouldn't be surprised if something huge comes up to fix the water outsourcing mess. Time and cost is key.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
The question is how far in the future are you talking about? 25 years? 50 years? As the towns and cities grow, there is plenty of money to build new water reservoirs and infrastructure.
It has nothing to do with economics where is the water that fills these reservoirs going to come from? Certainly not from the sky...

As it is, the Colorado River is running at a trickle and is essentially already completely dry in a lot of spots. Have you seen how high the "bathtub" rings are on Lake Mead? Water shortages are at what would be considered catastrophic crisis levels in most parts of the country, yet subdivisions continue to gobble up the barren desert with no end in sight.

Quote:
As California, New Mexico, and Arizona continue to grow at an alarming rate I wouldn't be surprised if something huge comes up to fix the water outsourcing mess. Time and cost is key.
Yeah, they're going to start begging and pleading with neighboring states to quench their thirst, and we all know that's not going to happen.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:36 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,714,703 times
I think the West Coast in general seems on the brink of disaster, or at least continual decline. Aside from the yuppie-fied parts of major cities, it seems like the infrastructure here is getting older and more dated. It's also getting insanely expensive to live anywhere out West, even inland states like Colorado. Due to the libertarian politics, wages are low and schools and services are poor in quality. The only real wealth here is real estate money, Silicon Valley and Hollywood. The latter two of those are becoming less and less creative and innovative.

If there is a major earthquake or extended drought I could see the West Coast becoming a perpetually depressed part of the country, just like Appalachia and NOLA.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:48 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,939,590 times
New York State (for the exception of NYC)

- The suburbs of NYC (including NJ) are dealing with MAJOR middle-class flight not only due to sky-high property taxes to ensure that EVERY lazy greedy government employees make 6-figure salaries and get MEGA-pensions but b/c many once stable middle class towns are slowly being taken over by illegal immigrants and hoodrats priced out of NYC. As a result, crime is happening in places where it once NEVER used to, schools are declining and poverty is skyrocketing. And the towns that were already 'rough-around-the-edges' are getting even more violent and deadly. In the future, the suburbs will be a mix of only super-rich areas and super-poor areas.

- Upstate NY, which has already long-been MOSTLY a craphole- no explanation really needed. Most of it is in the Rust Belt with Detroit, so you have all of those social issues (unemployment, poverty, decay, etc). Horrid weather. High taxes due to downstate politics.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-20-2015 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Do you think there are any states where its future seems dismal?
I currently live in Connecticut and there are many issues in this state that seem to get worse and worse. The situation in the state will get worse before it gets better. Many people and businesses are fleeing this state in droves thanks to high taxes, slow growth, and bad governance. Yet the government in this state thinks its doing a really good job when it fact they are doing more harm than good. In fact many of our states biggest employers are thinking of leaving. General Electric being one of them. I might actually leave this state because my company is looking to move down south to either Virginia and Texas. The only thing i do like about this state is its high quality of life that you can't get anywhere else. Anyway, are there any states that you can think of where its future seems depressing, downhill, and dreary?
It cracks me up that large companies are fleeing "high tax states" where if they were in fact paying their actual fair share of taxes, the tax rate wouldn't be so high for individuals. So instead individuals are streaming into states lacking in that high quality of life to save a few bucks (relatively speaking) in exchange for less infrastructure, lower quality public schools and often less desirable surroundings. I guess that'll show them that you're not paying a higher tax rate!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:46 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,939,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It cracks me up that large companies are fleeing "high tax states" where if they were in fact paying their actual fair share of taxes, the tax rate wouldn't be so high for individuals. So instead individuals are streaming into states lacking in that high quality of life to save a few bucks (relatively speaking) in exchange for less infrastructure, lower quality public schools and often less desirable surroundings. I guess that'll show them that you're not paying a higher tax rate!
I disagree.

I live very close to Connecticut and we have SKY-HIGH taxes but many of the school systems out here are still garbage. School performance is mostly determined by socioeconomics, not funding. Just b/c you're throwing more money at something doesn't make it instantly better...it means yo dumb behind is bein swindled by school employees who want more of your hard-earned money to stuff their already-deep pockets with.

And the infrastructure here is old and crappy. The highways have tons of potholes that take forever to get fixed, the commuter railroad and public transit is dirty and rarely on schedule...and the fares keep goin up and up...it's ridiculous out here. The infastructure, roads, homes and everything is generally much newer and nicer in states that ppl are fleeing to like NC, AZ and VA.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I disagree.

I live very close to Connecticut and we have SKY-HIGH taxes but many of the school systems out here are still garbage. School performance is mostly determined by socioeconomics, not funding. Just b/c you're throwing more money at something doesn't make it instantly better...it means yo dumb behind is bein swindled by school employees who want more of your hard-earned money to stuff their already-deep pockets with.

And the infrastructure here is old and crappy. The highways have tons of potholes that take forever to get fixed, the commuter railroad and public transit is dirty and rarely on schedule...and the fares keep goin up and up...it's ridiculous out here. The infastructure, roads, homes and everything is generally much newer and nicer in states that ppl are fleeing to like NC, AZ and VA.
Where? Overall CT has a much better education system than most states. In fact the northeast. Only CT's major cities have an awful school system like Bridgeport and Hartford. There may be some small towns in Litchfield County that are low performing and many towns plan to close schools since there are less kids due to population loss. The governor of CT plans to not cut spending on education. He thinks throwing money at it will help which is not going to help. Obama did the same thing to Detroits school system and yet it fixed nothing. They actually lost some of the funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or