U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:28 PM

30 posts, read 74,018 times

Advertisements

ok i need some help i want to move to a state where 1. there are either no or very low taxes,2. gun laws that are pretty much non existant like i can carry my weapon on me without a license etc etc etc, i like mountains but also want to be near the ocean within a 2 days drive at least,i also need a place where it is nice and safe to raise kids...states will do if you have a specific town in mind or a region plz tell me...i was thinking about new hampshire but the property tax is outrageous but there gun laws are great...thanks everyone who responds!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 04:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,371,277 times
I'd guess it wouldn't meet the beach requirement, but have you checked out Alaska?

From my understanding, Georgia has pretty liberal (or conservative depending on how you define them) gun laws. I'm not sure about the taxes there but they're certainly lower than the Northeast. As far as safety concerns, well, that varies widely between different areas of the state as it would any state.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:56 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,300,517 times
Quote:
2. gun laws that are pretty much non existant like i can carry my weapon on me without a license etc etc etc
Uhhh....why would you carry a gun WITHOUT a licence? That's a pretty awkward reason to move to a state....

Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 PM

944 posts, read 3,539,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Uhhh....why would you carry a gun WITHOUT a licence? That's a pretty awkward reason to move to a state....
Not so much.

There are people that prefer to carry them for protection and don't want to worry about the legal hassles. I spent some time in the Adirondacks and there were people carrying in plain sight. Same in Eastern Tennessee when I got lost on some road out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not a gun nut, but the idea of carrying doesn't bother me much. I fall into the "the bad guys aren't gonna stop carrying, so the good guys might as well" category.

I think Florida and Tennessee have less barriers-to-entry for concealed weapons permits. Here is a "Right to Carry" forum that provides very specific information for individual states. http://www.packing.org/ (broken link)

Old 11-11-2006, 08:56 PM

the reason for that is because i am a truck driver i carry alot of merchandise thats valuable need something to protect myself and my load and also while i am away for my wife to use in case someone breaks in...and yes i would love to move to alaska they have very lax gun laws,no income tax,but the wife thinks its always cold there lol....

Old 11-12-2006, 07:39 AM

3,339 posts, read 12,663,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecantdecide!! View Post
the reason for that is because i am a truck driver i carry alot of merchandise thats valuable need something to protect myself and my load and also while i am away for my wife to use in case someone breaks in...and yes i would love to move to alaska they have very lax gun laws,no income tax,but the wife thinks its always cold there lol....
Is the load your carrying your personal property? If it's valuable I'm sure it's insured. If you take reasonable care to secure it, like locking the trailer and not leaving your vehicle running when your away from it. You should have no problems with insurance. As far as your wife shooting an intruder breaking into your home, you might want to consult with an attorney (sic) on that one. She better be able to articulate that she was in fear for her life because deadly physical force was about to be used against her. I.E. the intruder was armed. Courts in most states frown upon things like that (shooting intruders) because there are times when it just may be a wayward drunk thinking he's home. You might serve her better by buying her a treadmill (instead of a gun) and suggesting that she use it to learn how to run really fast. This way when someone is breaking into the back door she can run out the front. Or perhaps get her a 100 lb. German Sheppard that likes to bark. That in itself will scare off 98% of people. Intruders usually don't want to tangle with dogs. The bottom line is I've been in law enforcement for nearly 30 years. I find that the majority of the time things go really bad really fast when one is confronted with a gun. Most times the person will freeze. You may scare off the amatuers but if your confronted by a seasoned criminal he just may call your bluff! If you insist on getting the gun route, please take some lessons on gun safety (NRA may be a place to look). I know for a fact that my wife would never have the presence of mind to rack in a round and take the safety off my handgun if being confronted, and she has gone shooting many times. Anyway Good luck to you and I hope things work out well.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 AM

thanks for the info,we considered gettin a pitbull we had one before and she was extremely protective of us we also have a daughter so yeah anything would be helpful in protecting my home while im away...guns just seem to give a sense of protection as well i want my kids to grow up around them like my wife did...

Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 AM

4,664 posts, read 15,802,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecantdecide!! View Post
thanks for the info,we considered gettin a pitbull we had one before and she was extremely protective of us we also have a daughter so yeah anything would be helpful in protecting my home while im away...guns just seem to give a sense of protection as well i want my kids to grow up around them like my wife did...
Doesn't even have to be a Pit Bull, although I understand you've owned one before. I have to Border Collie mixes and my husband is OTR and I doubt they'd let anyone bother me. The previous poster (exhdo1) was correct in saying that a "large bark" will send most folks another direction. In fact, an animal control officer was knocking on my door once and I was looking out the window in time to see him back up a few feet when he heard my pups

Your other consideration if you decide to get another dog is that many homeowners insurance companies ban certain "vicious breeds", so if you had the dog you either couldn't be insured or there'd be stipulations.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 AM

6,047 posts, read 21,677,324 times
Gun laws:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/25thedition/index.htm (broken link)
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx (broken link)

Tax burden:
http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxburdens.html

Old 11-12-2006, 08:10 PM

thanks for all the replies but only 1 person has really given me a state where i can see all of those things lol...anywhere else that i could move to? me and the wife have a list of states with lenient gun laws and low or no taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or