U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 AM
 
36 posts, read 42,573 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Is there a place with a climate like this in the US?
Warm, hot and long summers where temperature stays above 80 if not closer to 90 or more. Where it doesn't rain much or doesn't rain at all, a lot of sunny days. And where winters also have a lot of snow that stays for a while? Examples of the summer would be Southern US, FL, Southern CA, other parts of the Southwest. Example of winter would be the Northeast near the big lakes or Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 AM
 
103 posts, read 119,153 times
Reputation: 85
Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Reputation: 5374
I'd say Colorado or Utah is your best bet there.

Here in NY summer can get hot but it's short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 05:18 AM
 
21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Reputation: 19627
Denver doesn't get as much snow as you would expect, and it doesn't stay around for long typically since it's almost always sunny and the snow melts. Anywhere that retains snow for long periods most likely isn't sunny as much, so you're going to have to choose between sunny or snow-covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,099 posts, read 1,124,793 times
Reputation: 1384
Possibly Rapid City, South Dakota. Was like that when I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis
628 posts, read 758,767 times
Reputation: 604
Most places in the lower Midwest would probably suit you.

I know indianapolis gets pretty hot for about two months. Not a lot of consecutive days over 90, but plenty of stretches of consecutive days above 80.

The winters are hit and miss, I love longer winters and sometimes I'm disappointed because the snow doesn't stick around as long as I'd like. Sometimes it's just too mild and all the snow turns to the filthy black and salt slushy that ruins jeans. I hate that crap.

I'm sure Columbus, Cincinnati, Kansas city, Cleveland and Pittsburgh have close if not nearly identical weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Northeast Suburbs of PITTSBURGH
3,719 posts, read 3,574,221 times
Reputation: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Most places in the lower Midwest would probably suit you.

I know indianapolis gets pretty hot for about two months. Not a lot of consecutive days over 90, but plenty of stretches of consecutive days above 80.

The winters are hit and miss, I love longer winters and sometimes I'm disappointed because the snow doesn't stick around as long as I'd like. Sometimes it's just too mild and all the snow turns to the filthy black and salt slushy that ruins jeans. I hate that crap.

I'm sure Columbus, Cincinnati, Kansas city, Cleveland and Pittsburgh have close if not nearly identical weather.
Cleveland gets way more snow than KC and the other Ohio cities. Pittsburgh does as well, just not as much as cleveland. The elevation in pittsburgh and the lake in cleveland keeps them cooler than the rest as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM
 
36 posts, read 42,573 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Denver doesn't get as much snow as you would expect, and it doesn't stay around for long typically since it's almost always sunny and the snow melts. Anywhere that retains snow for long periods most likely isn't sunny as much, so you're going to have to choose between sunny or snow-covered.
I mean sunny during the summer, but it doesn't have to be sunny in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis
628 posts, read 758,767 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Cleveland gets way more snow than KC and the other Ohio cities. Pittsburgh does as well, just not as much as cleveland. The elevation in pittsburgh and the lake in cleveland keeps them cooler than the rest as well.
Totally forgot about lake effect. Does the snow typically stay around awhile in Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,379 posts, read 1,195,619 times
Reputation: 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by george777M View Post
Is there a place with a climate like this in the US?
Warm, hot and long summers where temperature stays above 80 if not closer to 90 or more. Where it doesn't rain much or doesn't rain at all, a lot of sunny days. And where winters also have a lot of snow that stays for a while? Examples of the summer would be Southern US, FL, Southern CA, other parts of the Southwest. Example of winter would be the Northeast near the big lakes or Upper Midwest.
The central Dakotas are probably your best bet, as summers are generally blazing hot with little rain (but short), and chinook winds don't reach that far east to melt snow in the winter (but snowfall is meager).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top