U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 05:38 PM

1,078 posts, read 961,254 times

Advertisements

Show a google street view of what you consider the heart and soul of your city from a non tourist/native/local perspective. This could also apply for districts/neighborhoods of the city, doesn't have to represent the city as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,361,081 times
Number 1 rule for visiting New Orleans: GET OUT OF THE FRENCH QUARTER!

Venture to UPTOWN

Grab a drink and eat on Magazine Street: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9234...7i13312!8i6656

Take in the architecture on Prytania: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9247...7i13312!8i6656

Hop aboard a Streetcar on St. Charles: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9337...7i13312!8i6656

...I could continue, but suffice it so say that Uptown is where you should spend most of your time here, not the FQ. Stop by the Quarter if you just have to, grab a beignet, check out the Cathedral, then get out of there and explore the city!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,944,626 times
Midtown Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,382,929 times
The National Mall, parts of Downtown, and Georgetown are where most tourists and visitors to DC generally tend to congregate. All three are great places to visit and there's always something going on in G-Town, but if tourists and visitors really want to get an accurate gauge of The City, they need to venture out into the neighborhoods and abandon their outdated preconceptions of the rest of the city being "sterile, boring, and dangerous".

To experience the Heart and Soul of DC, they should:

Go to the Chinatown/Gallery Place neighborhood during a Wizards or Caps game. The weekend especially is a great time to check out the colorful hustle and bustle of this part of Downtown. The food at most of the Chinese eateries around here range from so-so to very mediocre, go to Rockville, MD for better quality options. There are other good dining options here though, especially Tosca (upscale Spanish restaurant where the Ruby Tuesdays used to be across the street from the movie theater) and Daikaya Ramen (highly recommend it) for example. It's never a dull moment and street performers and buskers are pretty common in this part of DTDC.

Go to DuPont Circle and chill in the island circle park the neighborhood is named after and people-watch. You'll see the neighborhood go by with the rest of The City as you catch people jogging, showing their skateboarding moves, walking their dogs, blast different selections of music from their boom boxes and Beats Pills, play a rigorous game of chess, chill around the beautiful fountain in the middle of the park, relax under the shade of trees, etc. It's also home to DC's gayborhood community (though the community is more polycentric than it was in the past) and it's a major nightlife nabe. And check out Kramerbooks & Afterwords Café as well! It's a neighborhood and City institution with a great selection of books to choose from with reasonable prices (it's kinda narrow in there so don't go if claustrophobic and the café itself stays open til 4am but I find the prices to not be as reasonable as the books....). DuPont Circle is very diverse and a reflection of DC's status as an internationally cosmopolitan city, especially with the embassies both on and off of Masschusetts Ave to the point where it's relatively uncommon to hear more than 20+ different languages and accents around there. Every time I'm there, I always hear an English/British accent.

Go to Adams Morgan to experience more of DC's diversity and the crazier side to its nightlife. The nightlife is fairly laid-back during weeknights and is mostly neighborhood residents. It's during the weekend nights that Adams Morgan's nightlife is more rowdy and wild with the crowd mainly consisting of college students, suburbanites, and City residents from other neighborhoods. Adams Morgan is also a treasure trove of many diverse eateries such as Japanese, Peruvian, Salvadorian, Brasilian, French, Irish, Greek, Spanish, Lebanese, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Caribbean, etc. and a good range of eclectic and quirky clothing, jewelry, and pottery boutiques. Despite being increasingly yuppified over the past decade, Adams Morgan is still in touch with its more bohemian past.

I would add more but perhaps another time. I'll just leave this list of more neighborhoods visitors to DC should explore in order to get a feel for The City's Heart & Soul:

Columbia Heights
Mount Pleasant
U Street
Shaw
Takoma
Park View
Petworth
Bloomingdale
Logan Circle
Capitol Hill (it's more than just the Capitol Building grounds)
Southwest Waterfront/The Wharf
Navy Yard
LeDroit Park
Brookland
Woodley Park
Cleveland Park
Friendship Heights
Historic Anacostia (Not as dangerous as it used to be but still be careful)
H Street NE/Atlas District

A lot of the aforementioned neighborhoods have a lot of fun offbeat stuff for someone to partake in, be it shopping, dining, bar hopping, hitting a club or lounge up, check out a secluded vantage point, being surrounded by gorgeous nature, patronizing an indie theater, going to a music concert, taking in the sights of the magnificent collection of architecture, engaging in people-watching, going to a neighborhood farmer's market, visiting a museum or art gallery that's off The Mall, or just simply strolling around. I'll probably go more into detail of these neighborhoods later.

Anyone who thinks there isn't anything to do in DC outside of tourist stuff or if The City doesn't have a heart and soul especially with its colorful past seriously needs their head examined.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Midtown Atlanta.
Plus the neighborhoods that ring the urban core (the old streetcar suburbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.