Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,209 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For the past year I've been contemplating moving to a new state. My goal is to be in a new job and state by September 2015. I'm 26 yr old, female, African American/Black, a school teacher, and I currently live in North Jersey. My current income is a little over 52,000. I have grown bored and impatient with New Jersey. There is nothing to do, especially for young African American professionals. Yes, there is NYC however, I'm over it!

I want to live in a city/town that is affordable and safe to live, has a decent size professional African American population, and has some form of entertainment after work hours and during the weekends, museums, plays, etc... Also, parks are important to me because I will be getting a dog soon.

As far as weather, I would like to live in a place that is warm most of the year. I'm tired of winter! But not too hot! I don't mind 90 degree temp here and there but it can't be consistently 90 degrees daily...I would melt!

Before I posted here, I've done months of research about this but nothing really answered my questions completely.

I just need insight and assistance from people who have the knowledge to share with me and point me in the some sort of direction.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 AM

26,882 posts, read 43,382,416 times
I think Atlanta probably best speaks to your criteria and would recommend the Sandy Springs-Dunwoody area on the northside which is an employment epicenter with easy access to MARTA for commuting/leisure trips into Atlanta and is a safe, desirable area with a good number of young professional African Americans.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,928,876 times
I would suggest Charlotte

Old 06-23-2015, 02:32 PM

35 posts, read 68,120 times
Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,327,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myramissy View Post
Hi,

a school teacher.... My current income is a little over 52,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I would suggest Charlotte
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNSunny View Post
Charlotte, Raleigh.
I would love to recommend NC as well, but it's tough to suggest that a teacher early in her career accustomed to a 52k salary move to NC in the current legislative environment. Yes, there have been some concessions to teachers recently, but the overall climate is still problematic and the pay cut you'd take would likely not be offset by the lower cost of living.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:31 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,702,730 times
Baltimore County Md, Columbia Md, Prince George's County Md.

All have winters, but generally milder than metro NYC. And all tick off all your other boxes. I would say Baltimore itself, which I think is a truly underrated city, but from what I've seen, I wouldn't want to teach school there. All these spots have a good number of other black professionals around + access to either DC or Baltimore for more social life and city amenities. (These 'burbs I've found have more singles in them than you might expect.)

Also consider the Va. side of DC, with Arlington and Alexandria, though they may be a bit pricey for a schoolteacher's salary, but I don't know that for sure. Again, DC weather is similar to New York's -- sort of hot and humid in summertime, but winters that are milder.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,780,246 times
We need teachers in Las Vegas. You may be hesitant because of the summer heat but I argue that 100+ degree dry heat could be compatible to a 90 degree humid heat; and it's only for 3 months out of 12. Also, teachers get summers off. You could hit the road and come back in time for the fall session. I'm not sure about a black professional community but there are black professionals here. You said you were bored. Maybe you can start a BPC. Just submitting another suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.