U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2015, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,125 posts, read 4,771,953 times
Reputation: 5408

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
That is why I was discussing elevation span and not elevation alone. Therefore, what you said doesn't hold. Flat is an adjective, not a noun so your piece of paper comparison is asinine.
Quite frankly your argument is what is truly asinine.

Flat means this -> --------

Not this -> -^-^^--

Got it? Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Florida Baby!
5,293 posts, read 680,698 times
Reputation: 3142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Does New England have nice scenery? or is it flat and boring?
OK--let's throw a monkey wrench in here....

Does NE have nice scenery? Depends on what you are looking for....

Is NE flat? No

Is NE scenery "boring"? No.

I live in CT and I compare the landscape to "Ireland if it had trees," i.e. rolling hills, lots of stone fences.

IMO CT is far too lush and overgrown with trees (I live east of I-84) Mind you, I love trees but I grew up along Lake Erie (grape belt) and find the landscape here overbearing. March 2014 I was travelling down Rt. 30 in Vernon when out of nowhere a rather large branch came crashing down on the hood of my car and smashed the windshield--and it wasn't even windy! I've noticed that people here tend to "over-landscape" their lots--especially in suburbia--and the results look like hell when not properly maintained. It' doesn't help--and it's no wonder--that CT has become the deer tick capital of the world.

I really miss the stunning summer sunsets of Western NYS--in my home town around this time of year it doesn't get dark until after 9 PM. Now that I'm living inland sunsets are a bust (obscured by all those damned trees!) and even in summer I'm affected by SAD.

The plus side to this, of course, is that NE has the most spectacular Fall season in the country. For the most part, I would say that in CT at least, Autumn is actually our longest season (except for the occasional freak Halloween snow storm ) The down side is that the winters are short but brutal--often bringing down power lines struck down by those overgrown trees....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,766 posts, read 3,701,800 times
Reputation: 16889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Second, I never said that New England was flat. I said compared to the West, New England is flat.
Is this really the hill you want to make your stand on?

"Flat" is an adjective. But it is not a comparative one; it is descriptive. According to Dictionary-dot-com, it has 30 meanings as an adjective (and also some as a noun!), but for our purposes, the first three are most relevant:

1. horizontally level: a flat roof
2. level, even, or without unevenness of surface, as land or tabletops
3. having a surface that is without marked projections or depressions: a broad, flat face

Under none of these meanings can New England be called "flat." The condition of the West is of absolutely no relevance, because "flat" is not comparative.

If you had said "New England is flatTER than the West," no one would have batted an eyelash. But instead, you keep on spewing nonsense about how New England is flat because it's less non-flat than the West.

New England is flatter than the West. But New England is not flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,087 posts, read 16,148,146 times
Reputation: 9428
Man, stop feeding the troll. New England isn't flat by any measure. Do the hills and mountains compare to the mountains out west? No. They're smaller and less rugged. However, they're not flat. In fact, you could argue that The Presidentials in New Hampshire, or Katahdin in Maine are actually more dramatic than some taller peaks because they rise so high above their base elevation. I've seen taller mountains that don't appear as tall because while the peak may be 8,000 feet, the base elevation is 4,500 feet. That mountain peak is only rising 3,500ft above the surroundings whereas Mt. Katahdin at 5,270 ft. rises 4,288 above its surroundings.

Regardless, New England isn't flat by any measure. Its topography is almost characterized by rolling hills (even in Southern New England). The scenery is beautiful and charming. It's not as rugged and dramatic as other places, but it's exceptionally beautiful here. If you want jagged peaks and foreboding alpine environments, or jagged cliffs plunging down toward the ocean, look elsewhere. If you want hills, forests, and beautiful coastline, New England is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

New England is flatter than the West. But New England is not flat.
Which is EXACTLY what I have been saying all along. Saying New England is flatter than the West is equivalent to saying it is flat compared to the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Quite frankly your argument is what is truly asinine.

Flat means this -> --------

Not this -> -^-^^--

Got it? Good.
Okay, then according to your definition, no landscape, even salt flats, are flat, because there are bumps on a micro level. It is completely dependent on what resolution you want to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,420,744 times
Reputation: 2896
New England is NOT flat. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,993 posts, read 42,220,191 times
Reputation: 14811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Okay, then according to your definition, no landscape, even salt flats, are flat, because there are bumps on a micro level. It is completely dependent on what resolution you want to look at.
Try going on a long bike ride in Western Massachusetts and leave the Connecticut River valley, I promise you won't think it's flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 AM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
New England is NOT flat. The end.
Please point out where I said it was flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,215,778 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Try going on a long bike ride in Western Massachusetts and leave the Connecticut River valley, I promise you won't think it's flat.
Try going on a long bike ride in the Sierras or the Cascades and you will think Western Mass is flat in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top