U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 3,439 times

Advertisements

Being raised here in Hawaii, I've spent 27 years of my life here. I've tried to pursue a career in law enforcement here in Honolulu, but being that that are so many applicants, for only so little positions they are able to pick from the top of the crop, which apparently I am not. I talked it over with my mom (who will be moving with me), and we had our eyes set on Washington. After posting in the Washington forum, some of my requirements, are hard to meet in Washington. I am currently saving up for the move, and I've done some research, but I can't figure out what state to move to. I currently work for the Marriott brand of hotels, and will be looking to transfer to a property up there. That being said, I will also be trying for a law enforcement position, after I get settled in. Now, here's where I need your help. Here are some of the things I am looking for, and you guys can help me narrow down the area. I'll just list the what I'm looking for, and you guys help me narrow down the choices.

Weather: Cooler weather, with mild/normal winters and without extreme amounts of rain, and little humidity.

COL: We will be looking to rent a house, when we move up. A 2 bedroom, or 3 bedroom, depending on cost. We have cats, so it will have to be pet friendly. Looking for a decent neighborhood, that isn't too country, coming from Honolulu we like and are accustomed to the city life, although we would like a house, that isn't right next door to someone, like it is here in Hawaii. If it's got a garage, even better since I like to work on my cars. As for shopping, we were thinking of

Activities: I like playing basketball, and love cars and bikes. I also like my guns, and like water sports. I don't go out much, but wouldn't mind moving to a state, that has a decent night life.

Job(s): Like stated before, I will try to transfer to a Marriott property somewhere on the mainland. Now, if a transfer isn't possible, I'd be in the market for a job, until I can get into law enforcement. I'd be looking for a loss prevention, or security position, since I have over 11 years, in that field including having security supervisory experience, at Hawaii's most prosperous financial institution.

Traffic: I will be shipping my vehicle up, so unless I absolutely have to take public transportation, I will be driving. So, traffic will be a big factor. Now, being that I don't know which property I may get transferred to, which really puts things up in the air. But, just suggest and we will play it by ear.

Well, that's pretty much all I got. If you have any questions about me, that may help you with your suggestions, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM

5,711 posts, read 3,668,742 times
I don't have a specific place in mind for you, but maybe I can help narrow your choices:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietladin View Post
Weather: Cooler weather, with mild/normal winters and without extreme amounts of rain, and little humidity.

Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana) or maybe parts of the Midwest (Iowa?)

COL: We will be looking to rent a house, when we move up. A 2 bedroom, or 3 bedroom, depending on cost. We have cats, so it will have to be pet friendly. Looking for a decent neighborhood, that isn't too country, coming from Honolulu we like and are accustomed to the city life, although we would like a house, that isn't right next door to someone, like it is here in Hawaii. If it's got a garage, even better since I like to work on my cars. As for shopping, we were thinking of

You want a suburb of a medium or large city, or maybe a small city. In the larger cities, the single-family houses tend to be crammed in right next to each other; it's somewhat less so in most suburbs.

Activities: I like playing basketball, and love cars and bikes. I also like my guns, and like water sports. I don't go out much, but wouldn't mind moving to a state, that has a decent night life.

Cars and bikes means areas that are fairly wide open, so you can enjoy driving and biking. Guns means you want a state with friendly gun laws. Water sports means a coastal state or one with a decent-sized lake.

Job(s): Like stated before, I will try to transfer to a Marriott property somewhere on the mainland. Now, if a transfer isn't possible, I'd be in the market for a job, until I can get into law enforcement. I'd be looking for a loss prevention, or security position, since I have over 11 years, in that field including having security supervisory experience, at Hawaii's most prosperous financial institution.

If you transfer to a Marriott, you can pull up a list of Marriott locations, and that's where you look. Otherwise, every place has need of law enforcement and loss prevention.

Traffic: I will be shipping my vehicle up, so unless I absolutely have to take public transportation, I will be driving. So, traffic will be a big factor. Now, being that I don't know which property I may get transferred to, which really puts things up in the air. But, just suggest and we will play it by ear.

Big cities = more traffic.

Well, that's pretty much all I got. If you have any questions about me, that may help you with your suggestions, feel free to ask.
Now maybe someone else can figure out a place that hits the points I've bolded, because I can't. Good luck to you.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I don't have a specific place in mind for you, but maybe I can help narrow your choices:

Now maybe someone else can figure out a place that hits the points I've bolded, because I can't. Good luck to you.
Thanks for trying to help. I've still got some time to figure things out, as I'm still saving up for the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or