U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM

49 posts, read 72,403 times

Advertisements

So we've been contemplating a move for awhile and have decided to spend the next few months scouting cities/town for our next home. We have different wishlists and would love your advice on what might suit us best.

Her: Big city theater and art, commute under 20 minutes, bike-ability, preferably a 3 season locale (Spring, Summer, Fall) or total summer

Him: Small town feel, tech jobs, access to nature in an hour or less (not central park but a true nature area),

Both: single family home for less than $400,000, good food, access to a major airport in a hour or less

We lived in South Tampa and loved it, moved mainly for a job opportunity. Relocated to Chicago and love it too, but the winters are brutal and we'll never afford a single family home in a nice neighborhood and in a good commuting distance.

Any recommendations you have are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 AM

8,031 posts, read 16,086,748 times
Asheville seems to fit the bill.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:56 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Asheville seems to fit the bill.
Except Asheville doesn't have many tech jobs at all and it has a very real winter, being in the mountains at high elevation.

I'd go with the northern Atlanta suburbs (e.g., Alpharetta), Raleigh/Durham, or Richmond.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:15 AM

814 posts, read 939,014 times
Portland, OR? Seems to tick most of the boxes. Very neighborhood-based city with lots of little "Main Street" business districts that help it feel more like a collection of small towns than a big city. Climate might be iffy but winters are generally pretty mild if you can stand the drizzle. Can't speak to what the housing market is like up there right now, though.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM

5,710 posts, read 8,775,783 times
Look at Traveler's rest outside Greenville SC. It's not a tech hub but lots of general businesses that might need tech workers. By that I mean Greenville as you would be commuting.

You are close enough to Asheville to sample a wide variety of great restaurants.

Roanoke VA has a notable art museum, don't know about it's theater or tech scene. Too much winter though???

Old 06-23-2015, 01:55 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,354,218 times
Issaquah Washington.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 PM

49 posts, read 72,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except Asheville doesn't have many tech jobs at all and it has a very real winter, being in the mountains at high elevation.

I'd go with the northern Atlanta suburbs (e.g., Alpharetta), Raleigh/Durham, or Richmond.
I had been thinking Charlotte, but we will definitely add Raleigh to the list.

I'm a bit worried about the Atlanta suburbs as they don't seem big city at all but rather just dozens of tiny places strong together. Also we've been spoiled as far as public transit & easy commute. But we'll be in Atlanta (by which I mean the suburbs as no one seems to live in the city) over the 4th so I'll check it out further. Besides Alpharetta are their other areas that you would suggest?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,480,421 times
Bentonville/Rogers Arkansas fit the bill, except this region does get a little snow every year. It isn't the kind of northern winter where snow lingers on the ground for weeks at a time.

The tech jobs will be mostly associated with Walmart, JB Hunt, Tyson Foods and the vendors they do business with. There are a few tech start-ups, and some e-commerce sites based here.

Bentonville has Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, and will soon be getting a 2500 seat performing arts center. Fayetteville, to the south, has the University of Arkansas and the Walton Arts Center performing arts center which brings in the usual traveling Broadway productions. Bentonville has a rapidly evolving fine dining scene.

Cycling and mountain biking are huge here. Hobbs State Park, the Razorback Greenway, "Slaughter Pen" trails, Buffalo National River and Devil's Den State Park are some of the outdoors options.

Look up Northwest Arkansas if you're interested in learning more.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcandy View Post
So we've been contemplating a move for awhile and have decided to spend the next few months scouting cities/town for our next home. We have different wishlists and would love your advice on what might suit us best.

Her: Big city theater and art, commute under 20 minutes, bike-ability, preferably a 3 season locale (Spring, Summer, Fall) or total summer

Him: Small town feel, tech jobs, access to nature in an hour or less (not central park but a true nature area),

Both: single family home for less than $400,000, good food, access to a major airport in a hour or less

We lived in South Tampa and loved it, moved mainly for a job opportunity. Relocated to Chicago and love it too, but the winters are brutal and we'll never afford a single family home in a nice neighborhood and in a good commuting distance.

Any recommendations you have are much appreciated!
Why don't you move back to South Tampa?

I can't think in terms of small town feel plus tech jobs. Can't imagine that exists.

I think your list is impossible. What would you be willing to compromise on?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:33 PM

6,469 posts, read 3,467,398 times
Throw a dart at a map. To mix that all up in a blender and have it come out Utopia will be quite difficult.

I've lived near Boston my whole life. There is the 495 and 128/95 belts that have Tech. Trip Advisor just opened a new huge facility right on the highway in Needham. Plenty of small town feels with access to highways or public transportation to get into the big city of Boston.

But, it fails due to winter, especially the record breaking one we just had. I would think on the east coast you'd have to go to the Carolina's to temper the winter somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.