U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times

Advertisements

I would strongly suggest joining the military- Air Force or Navy in particular.

It will give you stability-( no worries about food, clothing, healthcare, place to live) , while you figure out what skills you can learn. Also possibly a very nice re-enlistment bonus should you decide to stay in beyond the basic term.

You'd also be a Veteran when you left with the ability to buy a home with no money down and the closing costs and points usually paid by the seller. There are college benefits, etc.

It would give you a leg up on many government jobs when you left as there is often a Veteran preference.

What I would also try to do is to not develop a chip on your shoulder about life, work, family, etc. You got a rotten deal with your family. But that is over and done with . You play the cards you are dealt.
Resentment toward the rich, toward employers and so forth will do nothing for you except hold you back.

It's time for you decide where you want to go with life and how you're going to get there. What your life is from now on is all up to you. Try to develop a long term plan with attainable goals. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,427,412 times
Another one for the military. You want to advance. The military will give you the chance. A number of people in the military come from rough backgrounds such as yours. Make the best of it. Saying a prayer for you.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
The military won't cure your problems. If you are lucky and manage to get in, if you fight the military system, you will come out worse than when you went in. You will be signing a contract that can be unpleasant and almost always, if you break the contract, you lose.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 AM

507 posts, read 304,966 times
The military cured a multitude of my problems... but as I said, it's not for everyone. Some people can not do the simple things that will make a military enlistment easier. I always said there are only a few things you need to do to be successful in the military. Be where you are supposed to be, keep your hair cut and a shave every morning, keep your uniform squared away, and TRY. When a drill sergeant or company commander tells you to do 100 pushups (usually only in bootcamp) TRY! You know you can't, so does he, but TRY! I'm 5'-6" and weigh 130, and graduated top guy out of every military school I went to, not because I was the toughest guy around, but I never gave up.

Good luck with whatever you decide and TRY works almost everywhere.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
The military cured a multitude of my problems... but as I said, it's not for everyone. Some people can not do the simple things that will make a military enlistment easier. I always said there are only a few things you need to do to be successful in the military. Be where you are supposed to be, keep your hair cut and a shave every morning, keep your uniform squared away, and TRY. When a drill sergeant or company commander tells you to do 100 pushups (usually only in bootcamp) TRY! You know you can't, so does he, but TRY! I'm 5'-6" and weigh 130, and graduated top guy out of every military school I went to, not because I was the toughest guy around, but I never gave up.

Good luck with whatever you decide and TRY works almost everywhere.
I certainly agree, it can provide you the opportunity to solve your problems. But, you can't quit it like you can quit Walmart.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM

1,900 posts, read 827,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The military won't cure your problems. If you are lucky and manage to get in, if you fight the military system, you will come out worse than when you went in. You will be signing a contract that can be unpleasant and almost always, if you break the contract, you lose.

I disagree in part.
The military can cure quite a few "problems" for many individuals who are "stuck in life" under the right circumstances.
But you are also right in saying that the military is not something you can just "try" or test out a whim.
It is a firm and life changing decision one should consider carefully and as you allude to, once you are in you are in for the time you signed up for.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,894,156 times
Join the military, and get yourself some time and distance to make decisions where to proceed with your life and get a different perspective. You then would be eligible for GI bill college and home loans and opportunities not currently available to you! It may not be your first choice but it may be your BEST choice for where you are at this point in your life. Like raggedjim said you can only be successful if you TRY. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2015, 12:45 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,000,000 times
The military is good but it is not for everybody. It may be very difficult because you really don't have anyone to write or email home to. You have no support. It is also something that would be hard to get out of its not working for you.

Why don't you try going to a public Junior College in your state. After you graduate you can go on to a 4 year college or get a job. Also if you decide to go into the military, or law enforcement it will be a better experience with a 2 or 4 year degree. 4 years is ideal because you won't have limitations on promotions. But a 2 year will also give you more choices in life than you have now.

You have a low income so you would qualify for full Federal Financial aid which would include, grants, loans and work study, and internships.

A junior college is better in your situation because it includes campus housing. A community college may not provide housing.

This is the Junior College in your state. You only need a HS diploma or GED for admission.
Trinidad State Junior College

This is the campus info which will give you information on housing.
Trinidad State || Trinidad Campus

It is best to go to college in your home state for tuition purposes.

Keep your job for now until you get accepted and its near to your start date. Try to rent a room somewhere, or see if your sister will let you stay with her until you would start which will be in about 2 - 6 months. The college will admit you for the fall, but your financial aide may not come through until the spring semester which usually starts in January. It will be hard but maybe you can stick it out until you can go there. Where ever you stay until your start date, be on your best behavior, the time will go by quickly.

All the best.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 5,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Yep, military.
One of the biggest regrets that I have was that I never joined the service.
if you take advantage of all the programs for self-betterment, save your money. its a pretty good deal.

You are the one responsible for the choices you make in life. Don't blame your family, rich people, minorities or immigrants.
Although I do not blame my family or expect anyone to make decisions for me, I will say that my family did completely screw my entire childhood and my upbringing. Couple that to the fact I work harder, have more education, and yet somehow end up being the black sheep when compared to my siblings, on top of the fact my siblings do their utmost best on a daily basis to flash all thier luck-based success in my face, that is what makes me want my reset, a new start in a new state.

I am definately proud of my sibling's success, however their constant showing off is what makes me think they are no different from the piece-of-s$/_% rich people around here that do nothing but show off their money all the time. Before anyone sits here and says my hatred of rich people is unfair - I challenge any other "average joe" to come to this town and speak to some of the rich locals. I would like to see any "average" human being get along with these ignorant, intolorant, racist people who were brought up incredibly spoiled, because they were "born into money" and think they are better than anyone else. If you can handle that without hating them, then I guess you have more strength than I.

On an unrelated note, one actually nice thing about living in such a tourism-driven area is all the wonderful, friendly, and diverse people I meet on a day-to-day basis. Not the rich locals, those here on vacation - i.e. the tourists.

Finally, Military is an impossibility for me, unfortunately. The car accident last year left me with a replaced femur, tibia, and fibia (not sure if thats right, the two lower bones in the leg?). All three were completely shattered to the point where the bones had to be completely removed, and replaced with titanium rods in my right leg. Ive been told a military branch would never accept me.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:18 PM

6 posts, read 5,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The military is good but it is not for everybody. It may be very difficult because you really don't have anyone to write or email home to. You have no support. It is also something that would be hard to get out of its not working for you.

Why don't you try going to a public Junior College in your state. After you graduate you can go on to a 4 year college or get a job. Also if you decide to go into the military, or law enforcement it will be a better experience with a 2 or 4 year degree. 4 years is ideal because you won't have limitations on promotions. But a 2 year will also give you more choices in life than you have now.

You have a low income so you would qualify for full Federal Financial aid which would include, grants, loans and work study, and internships.

A junior college is better in your situation because it includes campus housing. A community college may not provide housing.

This is the Junior College in your state. You only need a HS diploma or GED for admission.
Trinidad State Junior College

This is the campus info which will give you information on housing.
Trinidad State || Trinidad Campus

It is best to go to college in your home state for tuition purposes.

Keep your job for now until you get accepted and its near to your start date. Try to rent a room somewhere, or see if your sister will let you stay with her until you would start which will be in about 2 - 6 months. The college will admit you for the fall, but your financial aide may not come through until the spring semester which usually starts in January. It will be hard but maybe you can stick it out until you can go there. Where ever you stay until your start date, be on your best behavior, the time will go by quickly.

All the best.
When I said NOONE in my ENTIRE family is willing to help, I meant it. Unfortunately I seem to be the only one who even believes in the word "family". Yes I know its hard to believe, but its the truth. I would help any of them out any day of the week, especially if their circumstances were not under their control, like mine. I dont know what to tell ya other than I guess I just live one of the harshest realities a human being could face.

The plan so far, as it always has been, is to keep fighting, and not give in to the extreme depression I feel lurks just outside my subconcious. It is a tough battle though, and it seems lately like the depression and reality of my life is winning. But, I am not defeated yet, I still fight, and I will until the very end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or