U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:27 PM

6,854 posts, read 11,125,737 times

Advertisements

You need to be trained to do something. Become a barber, an accountant, a computer repair person, etc. Look up job training programs for the unemployed (or underemployed) in your state- maybe talk to a social worker. There is help out there for you- you have to find out how to get it. Look at the Occupational Outlook Handbook- online or in the public library. Browse through it for something that interests you. There are hundreds of occupations you may never have even heard of.

Good Luck and get going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,004,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallacEngineer View Post
When I said NOONE in my ENTIRE family is willing to help, I meant it. Unfortunately I seem to be the only one who even believes in the word "family". Yes I know its hard to believe, but its the truth. I would help any of them out any day of the week, especially if their circumstances were not under their control, like mine. I dont know what to tell ya other than I guess I just live one of the harshest realities a human being could face.

The plan so far, as it always has been, is to keep fighting, and not give in to the extreme depression I feel lurks just outside my subconcious. It is a tough battle though, and it seems lately like the depression and reality of my life is winning. But, I am not defeated yet, I still fight, and I will until the very end.
The reason I suggested the Junior college was because of they provide on campus housing. Plus its an instate public 2 year and that means it would be the cheapest in terms of tuition and housing. Plus you would be eligible for all financial aide. You would receive training in most any field.

Other training programs are usually not respected as you found out from Job Corps, and usually don't teach enough to get an entry level job. Some even cost more than college and put you deep in debt. But you did graduate from Job Corps and that means a lot. Most people never finish Job Corps training. You have been working and that also means a lot. You have the ability to stick through some tough times. Going to a 2 year college with on campus housing will be easier than what you have been through already. It won't be easy, some classes will be difficult, and it can be boring trying to focus at times. You will meet people and have some fun times also.

I realize that it will be hard to survive until you can start. You should probably rewrite your original post in letter form and send it to an admission counselor and ask for advice.

I'm afraid that if you don't fight through and do something to get training, even if it is to join the military. You won't make enough money to even pay rent and survive decently on your own. You will waste too much time and will be in the same shape years from now. Getting training by going to a 2 year college or joining the military will do something to change your life for the better.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:51 PM

176 posts, read 180,737 times
OP, back in the late 80's I was in a similar situation in the exact same location as you. I had a terrible home environment in Denver and left as soon as I graduated high school. I had $50 in my pocket and all of my worldly possessions in my backpack. I hitch hiked to Summit County (where Breckenridge is located, for those who don't know the area) and got a job at Keystone resort as a night lift operator. They paid almost nothing, but it included free room and board in dorm style housing (which they still have today). It sucked, but I took advantage of it.

There is free bus transportation throughout the county, so you could get a second job somewhere without the need for a car. Do that for a couple of years and you should have enough cash saved up to move elsewhere and go to school.

Bust your ass, quit bitching about your family life and the sh*t hand you were dealt and get on with rebuilding your life. If I was able to do it, anyone can.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 06-24-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
I'll echo military. You have under a grand in the bank and also owe 2 grand to the bank. Go running to the military. Nothing else is going to work at this point.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:20 PM

176 posts, read 180,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'll echo military. You have under a grand in the bank and also owe 2 grand to the bank. Go running to the military. Nothing else is going to work at this point.
The OP already stated he can't join the military due to a bum leg. There are plenty of other options out there.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,465,469 times
OP - in which fields are you interested in working?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 5,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
OP, back in the late 80's I was in a similar situation in the exact same location as you. I had a terrible home environment in Denver and left as soon as I graduated high school. I had $50 in my pocket and all of my worldly possessions in my backpack. I hitch hiked to Summit County (where Breckenridge is located, for those who don't know the area) and got a job at Keystone resort as a night lift operator. They paid almost nothing, but it included free room and board in dorm style housing (which they still have today). It sucked, but I took advantage of it.

There is free bus transportation throughout the county, so you could get a second job somewhere without the need for a car. Do that for a couple of years and you should have enough cash saved up to move elsewhere and go to school.

Bust your ass, quit bitching about your family life and the sh*t hand you were dealt and get on with rebuilding your life. If I was able to do it, anyone can.
Ok, your quite the retard. You have no idea what its like to be dealt ****ty hands all your life. You came up here with nothing and you turned it around. Thats called good luck. If I cane up here with nothing Id end up homeless and with even less than I had before. Your idea of this area being a realistic place to thrive is idiotic. You know what, maybe in the 80's it wasnt that bad, but allow me to give you the headlines: For a kickoff, summer tourism has tripled in the past 5 years, and even its well-known winter tourism has nearly doubled in the same span of time. There are actually traffic jams much like Denver on almost every single weekend. This mass growth in tourism has also spawned a mass of those trying to make Summit County their home. These people are wealthy, NOT rich, dont get me wrong not everybody makes 6-figures, but most make $50k/yr at least. This county is being taken over by the elite and wealthy, weather we like it or not, they are all intoxicated by the views and the outdoor activities, which I do understand; but actually living here successfully requires good income these days, NO EXCEPTIONS. Ask any local family, almost none of them want their children here once they turn 18, they know how difficult it is to be young and broke in this area, and most people my age have moved. I know 2 people from high school that are still here, and thats IT.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
OP - in which fields are you interested in working?
Honestly I have three fields I am all equally at home with. As a High-Schooler I was your typical nerd: building custom cumputers and modifying tech all the time. I also loved cars, my knowlage on the automotive world is extensive, and I did take a auto-class in high-school at one point. When it came to Job Corps, I got screwed. I was initially told there were openings in the computer class, then when I get there: 18-month waiting period due to demand, to I guaduated from Office Administration.

I take lots of trips to Kansas, CO Springs, Denver, ECT. So honestly Ive been looking into getting my CDL through the summit stage and then piolit a big-rig.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,837,348 times
Military is a good option. There is a HUGE demand for UAV Drone pilots. Don't need to run around to do that, you should look into it.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:23 PM

That actually sounds pretty awesome. Are there any pre-req's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or