U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 5,000 times

Advertisements

Before I can ask my question, I need to tell my story (otherwise noone will understand what it is I am actually trying to figure out, lol). So please, read on, and see if you can help, or even relate. At this point, I am desperate.

Hi, my name is Josh, and I am reffered to as a YBS (Young, Broke, and Single). I am a 23 year-old Caucasian male brought up in poverty while surrounded by ignorant rich people who dont know the realities of being an "averge joe". This area? Breckenridge, Colorado; and surrounding towns.

For those of you who do not know this quite famous area, it is actually one of the larger tourist attraction areas in the United States. Tourism drives the economy here, due to beautiful views, wonderful outdoors, wildlife all around, great skiing in the winters, and plentiful hunting in the summers. Welcome to the area that is: The small mountain town of Colorado that is all the hype, and just 45 mins from the ACTUAL town of South Park (yes, the town upon which the show is based). As a result of the hype, cost of living is outrageous here. An economy Studio suite will set you back nearly $1000/mo in rent alone. Due to this, the average joe cant really afford to live here realistically, and so this is where my story begins:

My father, who never even finished Jr. High (stopped going to school in the 8th grade) somehow started a cleaning company here, and became mildly successful (sporting an income of around $70k yearly). He is literally, and there is no other way of putting this: A self-employed Janitor for rich people. Bill gates has a house here, on the back side of Tiger Run, sporting LITERALLY TWO THEATERS IN THE BASEMENT. And my dad, he cleans it.

Growing up, my dad blew alot of money on stupid decitions, which is what led to my upbringing in poverty. My parents did meth for 20 years, sinking every penny they could into their addictions. Somehow, even with my fathers income, we found ourselves living outside of town, living in shacks, at one point even chopping down trees and burning wood in the winters to save money on heating bills (I was 13 at this point). I was the only poor person at school too. A staggering 75% of students at my school inherited some type of sports vehicle on their 16th birthday. I knew 15 kids alone who, not joking here, were given supercars on their 16th (Example: Grahm D., a friend of mine recieved a Ferrari 360 Spyder for his 16th birthday). Those who didnt get high-end cars still got brand-new cars, just something more practical. Let me put it to you this way - of 1345 students who Graduated in 2010 at Summit High, I was one of just six, who did not own their own car. Welcome to being poor in rich country.

Eventually, when things between my parents got violent, police were called, drugs discovered, and me and my little brother found ourselves in the foster care system (my older sister had made a good decision and ran away from home at 16, began life on her own early, imancipated). After my parents graduated Rehab two years later and has gotten custody of us returned, as a more mature 15-year-old, I could see how terrible my life really was. My fathers business had plumited due to word if his arrest getting around and destroying his reputation. Now we were poor compared to the nations average, and still lived here, in Summit County. I decided to try and do better for myself. Of all my immediate family, I am the first to even graduate high school normally (Diploma vs. my siblings dropping out and getting GED's). I also went to Job Corps in hopes of affordable college (big mistake, employers laugh at Job Corps on a resume). Somehow, through all my effort, I am the black sheep of my family. My younger brother Jeremy, at 20 years old, still AT THIS POINT not even having his GED, is a chef at a major resteraunt here in town, making a whopping $15/hr. My sister just became the manager at the local Qudoba, sporting a coushy $40k/yr salary at 27 years old. Me? Well...

After Job Corps, I moved to the big city with big dreams and big hopes. Colorado Springs, CO; however, had different plans for me. Ive been in a horrible rut for the past 3 years, struggling to even get by, working for minimum wage a places like Walmart and fast-food. Last year I got into a car accident and as a result I ended up in alot of debt. Due to financial hardships, I recently moved in with my brother, returning to the hateful town full of rich snobs which I left to begin with. My brother had gotten very lucky in his life, last March, when my brother was getting ready to turn 19, my mother passed away from severely poor health (4 heart attacks in 7 years) at just 48 years old. Convieniently, Obama had decided to build a single low-income housing project just down the street from where he was living with my mother, and as luck would have it, they understood his situation and allowed him to move in before the building was even finished, rent-free until it was finished, a few months later. At $600/mo for brand new apartments with washer/dryer in unit, in an area where the next cheapest option is $950/mo for an economy studio with community quarter-laundry, everyone wants to live here. Current wait list: Over 2 years. After moving in, my brother felt it was neccissary to start bashing me constantly, calling me a failure, a waste of a human being, and bringing up the topic of finances literally on a daily basis. The kid who leeched every penny he could out of my mother until the day she died now talks down to me when I did my best to help her out and give her money towards the end. Last night, I got fed up with his BS, and I screamed at him like never before. Now I have two weeks to be here, I work at Walmart and owe $2000 to the bank, my life as I know it, is over.

I have no more family or friends willing to help me, I seem to get stabbed in the back on a daily basis. My father does not seem to care about his own children. Even though we know his location to be within 50 miles at all times, he never speaks to any of us nor offers any aid, he is a typical dead-beat dad anymore. I need a city, ANYWHERE in this country, where a job can be gotten and kept easily, as well as coorporate corruption being low (around here companies fire people for NO REASON WHAT SO EVER, AND OFFER NO RAISES OR ADVANCEMENT WITH THE COMPANY. I DO 4 PEOPLES JOBS AT THE WALMART I WORK AT NOW AND NOT ONCE HAVE I BEEN ABLE TO GET A RAISE OR A PROMOTION. LAST TIME I ASKED THEY CUT MY HOURS IN HALF SO I HAVE LEARNED TO KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT.

The biggest thing I need though, is somewhere where I get a roomate, have extremely inexpensive rent (no more than $300/mo as a roomate), and I can focus on work and my debts, and then hopefully progress in life later.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will have just under $1000 in the bank come time for me to leave my brothers house. I need a starting point, and fast. I cannot live here any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:09 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,462,157 times
Well, you probably need support and counseling beyond what an internet forum can provide. And $1,000 in cash isn't much to move somewhere new (particularly out of state) and get established.

Could look at something like Alaska Fishing boats or wildland firefighting where the work is temporary and there's less expectation that you'll be paying for housing, at least while you're on shift.

In the longer term you need to sort out:
1) Marketable skills
2) What direction you want to move in as a career and explore what that path might look like (education, apprenticeship, enlistment, etc.)
3) Where in the country you would want to explore. Moving out of state is often harder, but if you've already tried CO Springs I'm not sure I would have a better suggestion for you in-state. It's not exactly a cheap state anymore.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM

55 posts, read 54,650 times
one answer that comes to mind is NORTH DAKOTA , the oil boom there, you get a job quick, and room mate easily

Old 06-23-2015, 02:30 PM

1,900 posts, read 828,411 times
Well another option for a full "restart" / "reset" would be considering joining the military if you are eligible and so inclined!
You still a very young and the military could provide with a good base to get a foothold. It also comes with many educational benefits and opportunities if you play your cards right.
You could go for one enlistment 3 to 4 years and in that time figure out what you want and then exit and continue on in the civilian world.

Just another idea......

Old 06-23-2015, 03:23 PM

508 posts, read 305,322 times
I was in your shoes when I joined the Navy back in 1982...

It worked for me, but it ain't for everybody.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,476,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKTHETANK315 View Post
one answer that comes to mind is NORTH DAKOTA , the oil boom there, you get a job quick, and room mate easily
I second this. I encourage you to do some research on here where jobs are located in different parts of the U.S. There is still some manufacturing in parts of the country. Oil jobs are not as plentiful as they once were. There are still some areas with low unemployment where non-college requirement work is available.

Your family sounds toxic to me. I am sorry to hear about what you have been through. Its time to take care of yourself. That doesn't mean comparing yourself to members of your family or measuring yourself based on someone else's opinion. Work hard, make good choices, and save your money. Master those three things and you can make it just about anywhere.

Distance from your family will also make forgiveness easier over time.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 PM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
My first thought was to suggest a resort town, where there are a good deal of low-skilled jobs available. You know . . . someplace like Breckenridge, Colorado.

OK, so that particular place might not work for this particular poster. So try someplace else. Or, go somewhere where industrial jobs are available. South Dakota is an excellent suggestion, especially for a young single man such as our OP. The Military might also be an avenue worth exploring.

Josh, I noticed an undercurrent of hostility towards rich people in your post. Now, I'm not saying I don't understand your perspective, but regardless. . . I hope you'll rein in your negative attitudes. Like it or not, it's rich people you'll most likely be working for, either directly for a rich employer or indirectly through serving rich customers. And I can assure you that most people don't take kindly to subordinates who have chips on their shoulders.

Good luck, Josh. I hope you'll be successful and make something of yourself.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 PM

44,708 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Seriously consider joining the military. That's my advice.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Yep, military.
One of the biggest regrets that I have was that I never joined the service.
if you take advantage of all the programs for self-betterment, save your money. its a pretty good deal.

You are the one responsible for the choices you make in life. Don't blame your family, rich people, minorities or immigrants.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,194,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKTHETANK315 View Post
Not anymore. The boom has dramatically slowed down in the past year or so. Now that gas prices are relatively low again, the oil companies up there are laying workers off left and right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or