U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 PM

56,729 posts, read 81,038,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Charleston, WV is very affordable and right in the mountains with beautiful scenery. There is plenty to do around as well, and is extremely over looked in terms of culture. It is an under-rated city and metro, and unfortunately people often associate it with negative images and poor quality of life.
What about a small city like Beckley? It seems like it gets a lot of love from people in the WV forum.

Another WV community I thought about is Lewisburg in Greenbriar County. What about Fairmont and Clarksburg in North Central WV? It has a NASA presence and is still close enough to Morgantown and WVU for employment, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 PM

56,729 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well I am from the Watkins Glen/Montour area of Schuyler county so I can recommend this as it is beautiful with everything from low rolling hills to more dramatic cliff-sides and arching peaks. Both towns offer a lot of to-do and local culture as well as being within fair driving distance of Elmira, Corning, and Ithaca.

From here you can go south or east for mountains; west for more hills; and north for rolling plains! Whatever you want to see that day.

I'd say any town in the southern half of Tompkins county could suit you as well.

Also there is Oneonta out east which is nice but admittedly more isolated.

Addison and Canisteo are also great.

For Pennsylvania I personally love Renovo, Williamsport or the Tioga area.

I think about anywhere in the "twin tiers" would work for you. Just beware of fracking issues that have taken place in PA and are threatening NY.

As to down south around the Ozarks far-eastern Oklahoma is also very nice with scenery.
I also thought about places in Cortland County like Homer, Marathon or maybe even Cortland due to being in a valley surrounded by high hills and it puts the OP in between Syracuse, Ithaca and Binghamton for multiple employment/cultural options.

Tioga County, with Owego in particular came to mind as well. It is between Binghamton, Elmira and Ithaca. You have a Lockheed Martin plant there and the Guthrie Clinic/Hospital is just across the state line in Sayre PA.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:55 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,744,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about a small city like Beckley? It seems like it gets a lot of love from people in the WV forum.

Another WV community I thought about is Lewisburg in Greenbriar County. What about Fairmont and Clarksburg in North Central WV? It has a NASA presence and is still close enough to Morgantown and WVU for employment, if I'm not mistaken.
Beckley and Morgantown are both nice! I am particularly fond of Morgantown.

I personally do not recommend Fairmont though. Each time I've been there it is always excessively dirty and the people are rude and angry. Your results may vary.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,659,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, Beckley is a pleasant place with very pretty scenery, and surprisingly good highway access due to its being at the juncture of Interstates 64 and 77. I didn't mention it in my previous post because I'm not sure about the employment opportunities, and also because of its relative isolation from major cities. But it certainly is a place that the OP may find would work for them.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 6,207,396 times
Another vote for Fayetteville, Arkansas. A charming little town on the edge of a decent sized metro. Although it is generally conservative, the Fayetteville part of that metro is a mix (like most college towns). The University of Arkansas has a beautiful, quaint campus and downtown is vibrant and charming. The mountains hug the south and east edges of town. The fall foliage rivals that of the northeast. the other towns in the area, particularly Rogers have some upscale eateries and entertainment.

It's about 45 minutes to Fort Smith which surprisingly has a few fun places and attracts some acts (more than you'd think). It's an hour and fortyfive minutes to Tulsa which has a lot of the attractions of a mid sized city. Springfield, MO is about the same and they draw some activities there. Finally OKC, Little Rock, Kansas City are about 3 hours away or so, and St Louis and Dallas are less than a day drive.

A true gem of a place.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:21 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Affordable. That leave Colorado out. I too would recommend Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Yes, much of the state. Mountain West states with resort areas will certainly be more expensive. I agree with posted suggestions of the Ozark and Appalachian areas. They are beautiful and meet many of your desires as well.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl234 View Post
In my search so far, I've been particularly intrigued by Chattanooga, TN, Charlottesville/Lynchburg, VA area, and NC in general.

List of wishes:

1. Housing is very reasonable - a single person with a good job can afford a modest condo or single family home. Other costs of living are below national average.
2. Not a huge city, but not too cut off from everything. Within ~20 minutes to a city or a town center which would meet all shopping needs, have a movie theater, etc. basic stuff. My dad and I are introverts who are not fussy. Within ~1 hour of doctors/hospital. Hopefully within 30 minutes to a place with jobs. A short commute is ideal. I work in finance so at least I am not in a niche profession.
3. Weather that isn't nuts. I would choose extreme heat over extreme cold at this point (I'm from the northeast and this past winter really did us in). Would also love to avoid being in tornado alley and vulnerable to other weather catastrophes. My current locale only has to deal with snow and power outages, so other stuff scares me, but I can be persuaded.
4. Trees!!! I cannot have enough trees around me and don't want to be in a barren place. I just want beautiful outdoors and the opportunity to engage in recreational activities.
5. Safety - the safer the better.
6. Health. Would like to live in a place that doesn't have any serious issues with pollution and isn't really dirty, for example. I lived in NOLA for a year and the dirt really bothered me.
7. Bearable traffic. The northeast is soooo congested. Some traffic is fine but I'd like to avoid any areas where I'd have to deal with very heavy traffic for a lengthy period of time.
8. Liberal/Conservative - I see this is a concern for many, but I'm not sure this matters all that much. We're from New England where people tend to be more withdrawn and keep to themselves, so we're at least used to that kind of atmosphere. I'm a little concerned about making a huge cultural adjustment, but it would be fine as long as there are more overall pluses than minuses in our new home.

TL/DR: Seeking any town/city in a mountain area that is pretty affordable, beautiful, safe, is in or not too far from a town or city center, and has some stuff to do.

Thanks!
I would highly recommend checking out Hendersonville NC, which is a very nice town about 30 minutes south of Asheville. It's quite affordable with housing well within reach, with nearly 100 current listings of desirable 3 bedroom homes/condos in the 85K-150K bracket. The town has pretty much everything you need including a beautifully restored and active downtown area. You should be able to find work in finance in town or at worst in Asheville which is about 30-40 minutes into downtown or around 20-30 minutes to the south side which has some good possibilities for employment as well. Hendersonville's climate is a good bit more moderate than areas just to the west and north as it sits on a plateau at 2,150 feet which moderates the winters versus higher elevations, and it's shielded from heavy snow by the mountain range just to the west. The city and surrounding area is full of trees/greenery, it's absolutely stunning in fact. Hendersonville is quite safe, and very clean with little or no pollution. Traffic is fairly minimal for most though I-26 into Asheville can have issues, just like any other highway in the US. Asheville has a reputation as being quite liberal, though Hendersonville moderates down considerably from there. I wouldn't call it conservative, as it has attracted many who like Asheville but can't afford it...or those who lived there and have been priced out. I would call it a happy medium I guess. There is a sizable population of artisans/crafters who have moved to the area for it's cost of living so it does have that cultural enlightenment you're perhaps looking for. I think you'll love it if you visit, good luck!

Welcome to Downtown Hendersonville, NC
Visitor Center | Hendersonville, NC | TDA | Henderson County Travel & Tourism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POzqcz-qvNk

Old 07-09-2015, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 14,258 times
You all have given me a ton to research and I really appreciate it! If I do end up visiting some of these places on vacation I will report back. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or