U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Don't you agree that Southern Florida culturally is more like the Mid-Atlantic than Dixie?
no. I live in what is called the Mid-Atlantic now and it has nothing in common with South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
no. I live in what is called the Mid-Atlantic now and it has nothing in common with South Florida.
You haven't been to the real South yet then.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:26 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Um, no...it isn't. It's more like Caribbean than anything, which is far from both Mid-Atlantic and Southern. I wouldn't say South Florida is anything at all like the Mid-Atlantic. How do you think they are a like?
South Florida has more people born in this area:

than people born in this area:

Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
For me, there will most likely never be a "back east" but simply THE EAST. ;-)

Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
Lots of transplants doesn't have THAT big of an effect on an area. It's still South Florida - even with the transplants. Places like Atlanta are overrun with transplants too, but it's still part of the South as is South Florida. The locals far outweigh the transplants.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I noticed that many people who migrated from the east coast, particularly the Northeast, to the southwest often use the phrase "back east" to refer to their previous home region. Since I am moving to Ohio next week, do you think it would be appropriate if I use the term "back east" to refer to New England? Or is that pushing it?
Keyword Nep. SouthWEST. And probably the whole West in general. To them the Northeast, the Southeast and even much of the Midwest is "Back East". Its a big country and there are great distances involved to "Back East".

But from Ohio to Connecticut? Hmm.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:56 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You haven't been to the real South yet then.
I've been all over the "real" south. Grew up in Texas and have family in Georgia, the Arklamiss, and North Carolina, and of course ALL over Florida. Spent time in Columbus, GA, New Orleans, and VA And you?

Old 06-28-2015, 02:02 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Uh..... yes, I grew up on the North Shore in Salem and Newburyport. But I'm pretty sure you already knew that I was from the area. What you're describing to me is "Western Mass". Worcester is "Central Mass". But since you can't seem to grasp what's beyond a mere few hundred miles, I can only assume you've never really been "Out West" before.

Here' a good start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GHHjUJCEU

Then Go WEST from there. It's a big country, go see it for yourself.
it was a joke.
but I know people in California which Back east is anything east of the Rockies. So out west can be considered anything west of the Appalachian Mountains from the east coast.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 PM

628 posts, read 758,767 times
All I think he was asking was: Is Ohio far enough west use the term "back east".

I'm from Brookline, MA and live in Indianapolis and I use back east to refer to any area between Baltimore and Portland. i wouldn't consider Buffalo back east or Pittsburgh or even Washington for that matter. But I guess if I was from Buffalo and lived in Tucson then I would definitely use that term.

I think it's all relative to where in the east you are from.

When I lived in Denver my friend referred to Dearborn, MI as back east. I made my skin crawl but I didn't say anything because in all honesty, it really doesn't matter... at ALL.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
it was a joke.
but I know people in California which Back east is anything east of the Rockies. So out west can be considered anything west of the Appalachian Mountains from the east coast.
Same when I moved from Illinois to Oregon back in the 1970's. People told me I was from "Back East." I always thought I was from the Midwest.

Now I just say I am in Ohio because I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or