U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What part of the country has the most left-wing people?
New England 21 28.00%
Mid-Atlantic 4 5.33%
Eastern South 0 0%
Lower Midwest 0 0%
Upper Midwest 4 5.33%
Plains 1 1.33%
Rockies 0 0%
California 20 26.67%
Pacific Northwest 21 28.00%
Hawaii 3 4.00%
Southwest 0 0%
Alaska 1 1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2015, 12:37 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,731,432 times
Reputation: 3526

Advertisements

I'd say probably Hawaii, followed by New England. Next would be the Upper Midwest and West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,456 posts, read 18,386,007 times
Reputation: 11929
I'd say Alaska, particularly around Wasilla. They take very kindly to gun control up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,436 posts, read 12,458,347 times
Reputation: 4861
Westcoast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM
 
2,824 posts, read 1,158,056 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Westcoast.
New England > Upper Midwest > West Coast IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Boston
101 posts, read 94,455 times
Reputation: 205
New England is the only area of the country where even the rural parts vote consistently Democratic. We don't have much of a strong right wing here. We also don't have a strong radical left wing element like northern California. Rather we have an overwhelming majority of moderately liberal voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 AM
 
21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Reputation: 19706
I think many are confusing the Boston-DC corridor as New England, which would be my #1 vote if listed separately. It skews a bit between "New England" and "Mid-Atlantic" otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,409,805 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
New England is the only area of the country where even the rural parts vote consistently Democratic. We don't have much of a strong right wing here. We also don't have a strong radical left wing element like northern California. Rather we have an overwhelming majority of moderately liberal voters.
Well, outside the Driftless (unique geological area the size of a NE state in WI/MN/IA/IL) and Iron Range (MN/WI), in terms of large rural blocks. Actually, you also need to preface it with "white areas" because the black belt and many rural border/Mexican areas do as well.

That said, I agree. The weirdest thing is the Pac Northwest winning somehow, even though it's only the near-coast that's "left wing" while the eastern portions of those states and into the interior are decidedly right wing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,436 posts, read 12,458,347 times
Reputation: 4861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
New England > Upper Midwest > West Coast IMO
Upper Midwest over West Coast


Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago, Cleveland, Ann Arbor, Detroit
over
Seattle, Portland, Eugene, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Independent Republic of Ballard
6,653 posts, read 5,085,079 times
Reputation: 4292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The weirdest thing is the Pac Northwest winning somehow, even though it's only the near-coast that's "left wing" while the eastern portions of those states and into the interior are decidedly right wing.
The eastern sides of Washington and Oregon are more libertarian than social conservatives. Socially, they're much more "live-and-let-live" in their attitudes. They are also a shrinking minority, as population-growth is heavily concentrated on the westside of the Cascades. The Seattle-Bellevue-Tacoma-Everett ("Pugetopolis") and Portland-Beaverton-Vancouver (Columbiapolis?) areas are as liberal as the SF-Bay Area and are the economic drivers of their respective states and the region. Smaller "wetside" cities are arguably even more liberal: Bellingham, Olympia, Eugene, and Corvallis (all "college" towns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,409,805 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The eastern sides of Washington and Oregon are more libertarian than social conservatives. Socially, they're much more "live-and-let-live" in their attitudes. They are also a shrinking minority, as population-growth is heavily concentrated on the westside of the Cascades. The Seattle-Bellevue-Tacoma-Everett ("Pugetopolis") and Portland-Beaverton-Vancouver (Columbiapolis?) areas are as liberal as the SF-Bay Area and are the economic drivers of their respective states and the region. Smaller "wetside" cities are arguably even more liberal: Bellingham, Olympia, Eugene, and Corvallis (all "college" towns).
It only says "left wing," not "libertarian Republican" or "socially liberal right wingers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top