U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 10,874 times

Advertisements

I came from Los Angeles and worked a really obscene amount of part-time jobs in all sorts of post-secondary institutions (community colleges and universities). I feel insecure here in Arizona where there's probably about 4 viable campuses of higher learning...so if I work for a uni I'm bound the commitment has to be really strong.

Where else would there be a good concentration of colleges and universities? Also, does it score high in the immigrant/international population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times
There are a startling number of colleges in the Chicago area:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_in_Chicago

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 06-25-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 AM

21,192 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi16reisen View Post
Where else would there be a good concentration of colleges and universities? Also, does it score high in the immigrant/international population?
The Washington DC metro would be a great option. It has Georgetown University, George Washington University, American University, Howard University, Catholic University, University of the District of Columbia, George Mason University and the University of Maryland all within fairly close proximity of one another (plus several other smaller colleges like Marymount, Trinity and Gallaudet) and a high international population with nearly one in four residents foreign-born (and 60% of that number non-Hispanic from Europe, Africa and Asia).

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi16reisen View Post
I came from Los Angeles and worked a really obscene amount of part-time jobs in all sorts of post-secondary institutions (community colleges and universities). I feel insecure here in Arizona where there's probably about 4 viable campuses of higher learning...so if I work for a uni I'm bound the commitment has to be really strong.

Since you're in the west, I'd say Los Angeles and San Francisco definitely.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Boston has to be near the top, in terms of a per-capita concentration. There's 53 colleges located either in the city proper or in the inner suburbs.

Of course, it ain't a cheap place to live. Still, it's clearly in the top 10, and possibly number one.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:23 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,008,159 times
Boston, LA, SF, DC, NYC, Chicago all come to mind. I live in the Boston area and it is considered the higher education capital of the country or even arguably the world. Add to that 26.5% of the cities residents are foreign born.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:25 AM

4,261 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Of course, it ain't a cheap place to live. Still, it's clearly in the top 10, and possibly number one.
I'd agree about Boston.

A relatively short list would be something like Boston, Philadelphia, D.C., Chicago, the Bay Area, LA, NYC, maybe Atlanta, too? Of course, several of these places are relatively expensive.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:26 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Atlanta is underrated in terms of higher education. Emory University is a "Southern Ivy," and Georgia Tech is excellent too. There's also Georgia State University and Kennesaw State University. Atlanta is also the epicenter for HBCUs, with Morehouse College, Spelman College and Clark Atlanta University being the most prominent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or