Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:29 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Oh and they always mention the black male/white female dynamic when that's not even the most common interracial marriage combo.
Yep-I noticed that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM

25 posts, read 37,280 times
I never said these Italians were mobsters or anything, or even that these people in Little Italy were Italians.

As for the beating I was talking about, right here.

Immigrant beaten to death in Pa. - US news - Crime & courts | NBC News

Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
We live in a time where the bigots are so fixated on gays and transgenders that interracial couples are barely on the radar. On the whole nobody cares anymore.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep-I noticed that too.
Lets face it, no one is going to give a black man white woman couple a tough time because that would be racist. On the other hand, white women going for other minority groups are given a rough time in certain areas. As I said, it is okay to tell an Asian joke and walk away without any harm done as everyone laughs. Try telling a black joke and see what happens.

The reason I brought it up is because if I didn't, people would say "why I see black men in my area dating white women all the time, we can't possibly be racist". I just wanted to point out that black men with white women have been common for decades and no one really makes a big deal about it these days which is great. Unfortunately, America is not so open to the idea of a Manish Dayal lookalike dating or marrying a Heidi Klum. You normally don't see or meet couples where the woman is your typical good looking blonde and her husband or boyfriend happens to be something other than a black or white guy, at least not on the east coast.

Just be honest with yourself here, you don't typically meet couples like that on the east coast, they're mostly unheard of even in places like NYC. I was just trying to find out where in the country, other than California, couples like that can live their lives without being bothered.

Some helpful members mentioned Chicago and Tampa, for that I thank them as I have not been to either city.

My opinion is flexible and I am willing to write it down to a bad experience but I was shocked to encounter the racism I did in NYC, constantly too.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
I get what the other posters are saying you are generalizing from a few experiences that you found on the NYC city limits, which has arguably the most "open" place in all of america and one of the most in the world. It's the only place in the U.S where I saw an old woman in only her underwear walking around and no one arresting her, or chastising her besides a few tourists gawking. If that can happen in NYC, not just her but a few other people, I think the interracial couple thing might just be because the way you describe her is that she is a bombshell, and men would be jealous or wondering what an average guy like the way you describe yourself is doing with her.
In terms of interracial relationships, if you look up places like Gwinnett County or Fort Bend county
(where I live), The demographics are so mixed that at the HS level it seems at least 25% or more of couples are interracial granted that these counties all have between 15%-40% of all 4 main "races" making it almost even in terms of demographics. But I am a HS student and this is your life sao my opinions don't really matter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_B...s#Demographics

Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Here in NY, nobody would care if you were in an interracial relationship or not.

Trust me, we're used to seeing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more taboo things than an interracial relationship out here. I wouldn't even consider IR dating taboo anymore since they're so common. If you think that your melanin differences is so spectactular then you should come out here and learn that you guys are far from anything unique...maybe in the 60's: yes. But not in 2015.

Yeah, you may hear a couple of freak stories about some of them getting beat up at bars but that is ultra-rare.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I work in health care and we have a lot of interactional couples mostly white and Asians but also White and hispanic, hispanic and asian. Nobody cares anymore about that even in the South which is still fairly traditional and conservative.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:31 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheman2 View Post
I am an Indian guy and my fiance is white, she is your typical blonde hair blue eyed American woman who gets told she looks like Heather Graham a lot and I get told I look like Fareed Zakaria, a lot. What I notice is that no one in my state has an issue with it at all and a lot of the people do not mind. Most people do not acknowledge it which is amazing, we practically get treated like same race couples here.

After running into some transplants from places like New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and having visited New York, I realized that other areas are not so accepting. When I was in NYC and sitting on a subway with my fiance, one older man (white) was openly making jokes and racist comments towards us. That was not the only instance, we noticed that eating at restaurants and just checking into hotels there, people were making a big deal out of it at times. We would eat at the restaurant and sometimes the waiter would say "this is strange, you don't see blondes with guys that look like you".

Now I noticed that most of the times, interracial relationships in the USA are Black men with white women and white men with just about any woman that is not white. It is not that common for white women in the country to date or marry a guy that is not white or black, California seems to be an exception to this rule.

Are there any other places in the USA that are like California though? Places where if a woman who happens to be white and exceptionally attractive dates or marries a man that is south asian, no one will make a big deal out of it?

Please, god, tell me you are not this ignorant???? Atlanta for one....

Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I have serious doubts that the stories the OP are telling are even true.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I have serious doubts that the stories the OP are telling are even true.
I am not a liar, that is the one thing I can say, paranoid yes but not a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.