Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,346,747 times

Advertisements

Certain areas in certain states, but I wouldn't really say states as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,892,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I grew up in MA and MD and viewed MD and CT that way. Not New Jersey as it's fairly mixed and some of the most well known places are spots like Camden, Newark and the industrial areas along the Pike in the Northern part of the state. There's obviously a lot more to NJ, including some exceptionally affluent areas (I have extended family in Princeton who live an extremely exclusive neighborhood), but the stereotype I grew up with was dirty and industrial.

I went to college in Maine and everyone seemed to think people in MA were really wealthy which was news to me coming from MA.

California had an air about it too. Probably a lot to do with pop culture, but as a kid I always assumed all of California was a mix of Full House, Clueless, The Brady Bunch, Baywatch, and 90210.
Compared to the average Tennessean the average Massachusetts resident is wealthy.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Compared to the average Tennessean the average Massachusetts resident is wealthy.
MA does rank near the top for income (5 for average household income, 4 for per capita), but I think the fact that so many places close by are either higher (i.e. CT) or close enough (NH, RI, Long Island, NYC, NJ, etc) to not be drastically different makes MA stand out a little less in the Northeast vs compared to states outside of that area.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 PM

30,476 posts, read 17,908,006 times
Yes, though I think some of this "prestige" is misplaced to be honest. If you're wealthy in any state, you'll live the life. But being poor in one state vs. another can be worse at first glance. Still, even here things aren't so simple. Indeed, while MS is a poorer state with fewer resources/lower per capita income than, say, NY, MS also has a significantly lower cost of living than NY has. And, while NY has a higher percentage of wealthy people than MS, I argue that this makes the divide (especially in NYC) be felt all the more in every day life. Indeed, if you're poor in NYC, you have to witness numerous well-to-do people and all of their luxuries everyday, yet have to return to the projects/elsewhere at night where you can only dream of that. On the other hand, things in MS are more spread out (geographically/by income), so the poor can create their own reality without having the same amount wealth in their face but out of reach.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:50 PM

448 posts, read 586,453 times
I think most people look at New Mexico as a state that has wide open views and beautiful scenery but I don't think most realize it has a terrible economy and top 5 in almost every negative category ranging from crime, poverty,teen pregnancy, education, and a culture of drug and alcohol abuse.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,902,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I think most people look at New Mexico as a state that has wide open views and beautiful scenery but I don't think most realize it has a terrible economy and top 5 in almost every negative category ranging from crime, poverty,teen pregnancy, education, and a culture of drug and alcohol abuse.
Really? It's that bad of a place?

Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,917,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Certainly. My state of Colorado is a close cousin of UT (LDS), NM (too Hispanic) and WY (just Cowboys). However, it's always perceived as have much more cache than any of its neighbors. A lot of that is attributable to great branding and high expectations that folks are looking for.
I totally agree on CO. It's a hot brand, and always exacts a premium. Not that it's overrated, but the beauty doesn't stop at the border by any stretch of the imagination. Still, when I lived there, it was always a conversation starter to tell people I was from the state.

And I've got to say, it can be a little insulated. When my wife and I moved to WA, the big question many of our friends from CO asked was, "Why would you leave the mountains?"

Old 07-02-2015, 03:26 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,739 times
Colorado definitely has prestige, but as someone else posted, no state as a "whole", deserves the same amount of prestige. Coming into Colorado from Kansas, looks just like you're still driving in Kansas. I love the mountains, and visited frequently, as my grandparents lived in Colorado Springs...Pikes Peak was right out their living room window. There are a fair number of areas (LaJunta, for example), that aren't at all in the mountains. Unless you've visited Colorado, you think only of the mountains. If you have visited, you know differently.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,300,374 times
My state Louisiana has a mysterious aura. I think its almost a scary place to many people.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,577,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Certainly. My state of Colorado is a close cousin of UT (LDS), NM (too Hispanic) and WY (just Cowboys). However, it's always perceived as have much more cache than any of its neighbors. A lot of that is attributable to great branding and high expectations that folks are looking for.
Oh yeah. Compared to Wisconsin we are the bees knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.