Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keriuw96 View Post
I love, love, love L.A.! We have to move for my husband's job. We can choose anywhere in the southeastern region of the country: from Virginia to Florida, over as far as Texas. I love the outdoors: hiking, biking on the Strand, walking to the Pier in MB, etc. I also love the weather - warm year round, no bugs. We want a place with lots of activity and things to do. We like to keep busy. L.A. definitely seduced me. I love the energy, the beauty, the culture, the diversity, the people, the bright lights at night, etc. Is there any place similar on the east coast? I'd prefer on/near the ocean or the mountains. I love them both equally. We also have 2 kids, ages 7 and 9. Please help!
If you want LA stay in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Coming from Los Angeles, I would recommend moving to Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh or Nashville.

Those cities offer, at the very least, more moderate weather and some change in scenery relative to Houston, Dallas, Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Charleston, all of which are very hot, humid, stormy and buggy with very little in the way of topographical variation.

Do this. Go to Google Images and look up the habitat of the American Alligator. Use that map as a guide of areas to avoid. For someone moving to the Southeast from California, the collective shaded region is just too hot/humid/stormy/buggy/swampy. Ick.

The general area to the north and west of the American Alligator's habitat is the "Piedmont South." Some Piedmont cities include Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville. Concentrate your search in that area, if possible.

Not only are the weather and scenery a little more moderate than further south and east, these areas are a little more centrally located within the South and, in the case of the North Carolina cities, on the East Coast.

However, if you can go as far west as Austin, that'd be choice. IMO, Austin would prove to be the easiest transition for someone coming from California in terms of weather, scenery, culture, etc. That, plus it's the closest Southern city to California from a geographical standpoint, although not necessarily "Southeastern."
Austin gets far hotter in summer, and colder in winter than Houston, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, or Charleston. Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Nashville get colder in winter than the coastal cities get hot during summer.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:03 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'm assuming that the OP wouldn't be interested in DC due to the cold weather, otherwise why not just go with NYC?
DC isn't really that cold; it's similar to Vancouver BC's suburbs in the winter time but sunnier. It's usually significantly above freezing there during the daytime even during the heart of winter.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I think as much as you love LA, your expectations of finding anything close to what you're looking for here, is virtually non-existent.
Absolutely, that place is not anywhere in the southeast.

Last edited by ipaper; 07-12-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 10:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keriuw96 View Post
I love, love, love L.A.! We have to move for my husband's job. We can choose anywhere in the southeastern region of the country: from Virginia to Florida, over as far as Texas. I love the outdoors: hiking, biking on the Strand, walking to the Pier in MB, etc. I also love the weather - warm year round, no bugs. We want a place with lots of activity and things to do. We like to keep busy. L.A. definitely seduced me. I love the energy, the beauty, the culture, the diversity, the people, the bright lights at night, etc. Is there any place similar on the east coast? I'd prefer on/near the ocean or the mountains. I love them both equally. We also have 2 kids, ages 7 and 9. Please help!
Hampton Roads (Tidewater area) of Virginia or Tampa-Saint Petersburg in Florida.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Miami or Houston. I'd put Dallas in there too but it's nowhere near the coast or mountains. To a lesser extent, Atlanta could be also be an option. Other than those cities, all the others in the SE will seem too small compared to Los Angeles. I'm purposely leaving out DC here since I don't consider it to be in the Southeast.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
DC isn't really that cold; it's similar to Vancouver BC's suburbs in the winter time but sunnier. It's usually significantly above freezing there during the daytime even during the heart of winter.
True. But you can have days where it won't reach out of the 20s.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I think as much as you love LA, your expectations of finding anything close to what you're looking for here, is virtually non-existent.
my exact thoughts but good luck!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami or Houston. I'd put Dallas in there too but it's nowhere near the coast or mountains. To a lesser extent, Atlanta could be also be an option. Other than those cities, all the others in the SE will seem too small compared to Los Angeles. I'm purposely leaving out DC here since I don't consider it to be in the Southeast.
Might as well add DC if you consider Dallas the southeast. Because I don't for neither cities. I even have reservations for Houston but that's another conversation.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:17 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
I've lived all over, including Los Angeles, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and all over Florida. There's nowhere that I've seen that is anything like LA in the SE USA but you will find lots of people who have convinced themselves they are something they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.