Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 02:06 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Miami, Houston, and Dallas are all known for their large Hispanic communities; a quality they all share with Los Angeles; a quality that is very limited in Atlanta. For someone who loves LA, I can safely assume that being in the midst of a significant Latin element is an important factor.

The slower paced comment is based on numerous things, including personal experience. For someone accustomed to Texas cities and Miami, the first thing you notice about Atlanta is how much slower things are. No one is in a rush to do anything. Drivers even slow down for jaywalkers without honking at them. Customer service moves at a snail's pace. People everywhere are walking 0.5MPH and look at you like a criminal if you shove past them in a hurry...Unlike the other cities being discussed, Atlanta is a city of huge lots and winding roads. The only reason traffic is so bad is due to the lack of thoroughfares and a solid grid system.

If you look at the urban area density numbers, you'll see that Atlanta's is more comparable to most small and midsized southern cities than it is to the rest of the major urban centers of America. Atlantans value their trees, which is fine, but the sylvan nature of the city takes away from the urban feel for those of us used to cities that aren't Atlanta or Charlotte.
Agreed especially about Atlanta... I don't know if it's because I've gotten used to DC where people will literally shove you out of the way if you're walking too slow but Atlanta is extremely slow-paced to the point where I found myself getting road rage everywhere we went.

There isn't really anywhere in the Southeast that is similar to LA but I would say Miami comes close and that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 03:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed especially about Atlanta... I don't know if it's because I've gotten used to DC where people will literally shove you out of the way if you're walking too slow but Atlanta is extremely slow-paced to the point where I found myself getting road rage everywhere we went.
Atlanta is slower-paced, but the people don't drive extraordinarily slow at all, at least not in the city proper and close-in areas. I previously lived there and now live in metro Philly and there's not really a discernible difference to me. At least in Atlanta, people are more likely to get over in the right lane when you come up on them in the passing lane.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:19 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,098 times
Austin is pretty much mini-L.A. these days from what I've heard

Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
If that's what you heard, be prepared to be severely disappointed.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Uhhhh...NO!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
When did Texas become part of the Southeast?

Atlanta would be the closest thing to LA...and it's really not much like LA at all. Thank God.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
When did Texas become part of the Southeast?
When the OP said that they were considering Texas.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I know...but that doesn't make it part of the Southeast.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I know...but that doesn't make it part of the Southeast.
I don't remember seeing anyone here say that it was.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You just did say it...right here. I asked "When did Texas become part of the Southeast" and this was your response above. And the OP implied by saying that he/she was looking to move to Southeast as far over as Texas. But I guess you're just looking to argue, so be my guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.