Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 PM

404 posts, read 904,366 times

Advertisements

I copied and pasted this from a motorcycle forum I post to to get another perspective:

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip that covers most of the US, and parts of Canada and perhaps even short jaunt in Mexico. This trip will be a college graduation present to myself. My initial plan was for the trip to last a year, but many have said that is too much time for my route. Here is a rough outline of what I had planned initially:

Here is a link to my map with much more detail about places I want to go along the way. This is constantly being tweaked and updated and is very much incomplete. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...K4&usp=sharing

My main goals for this trip are to see badass scenery and nature, explore a bunch of major cities, eat delicious local cuisine, drink beer from all the best breweries in the country, and generally have a great time. I also have some other "attractions" planned such as Disney/Universal, San Diego Zoo, etc.

As you can see I don't have a return leg planned. Part of the reason for this trip is to explore areas that I have considered moving to after I graduate from college. Chances are I will end up in the Rocky Mountain region (Utah/Colorado), the PNW, or California. If I do end up making the return home to Boston, it will likely be around the UP, through canada, and pretty much a straight shot back.

Unless I win the lottery, I will be making this trip on my 2013 Monster 696. I know it's not the best touring bike, but plenty have done much more on much less capable bikes, so I'm confident it will work fine. I have a Kriega US 20 Tailbag that I use on a regular basis for commuting. For this trip I was thinking of getting another US 20, a US 30, and a US 10 or 5. This would give 70l of regular storage plus 5/10l to carry essentials like a tank bag. This would be more than enough storage, I'm just not sure it would all fit on the bike. Perhaps I should just buy three US 10s to strap to the US 20 for a total of 50l. This seems more doable.

There are a million resources for packing list, so I won't ask for advice here. But my plan is to bring a hammock camping setup, minimal amounts of clothes, tool kit, cooking gear, phone, credit card, and that's pretty much it.

I am mostly looking for suggestions of where to go specifically, what roads to take, unique must see attractions that are overlooked, etc. I am also looking to make sure the timing of all this works out.

Here is a rough itinerary:
Early/Mid October:
-Depart Boston
-Stop in NYC for 3/4 days - MoMA, The Met, Katz's Deli, Times Sq, etc.
-Smokey mountains, blue ridge parkway
-Asheville - carolina BBQ, Wicked Weed Brewing, Green Man Brewing.
November:
-Make my way down to Orlando for Disney/Universal for about a week
-Check out Miami for a few days, Funky Buddha Brewing, beaches
-Head to the Keys for a night or two
-Check out the everglades
-Pass through Tampa, 7eventh Sun Brewing, Cigar City Brewing
-Make my way to New Orleans
December:
-Hangout in New Orleans for however long I feel like
-Head to Austin, TX, Jester King Brewery
-(Optional) Detour down into mexico
-Head to Big Bend National Park
-Up to Carlsbad Caverns
-Check out Santa Fe
January - March:
-Ski Bum in Colorado for a month or three, staying with friends and (obviously) parking the bike.
Late March - April
-Painted Desert
-Sedona
-Grand Canyon
-Zion NP
-Bryce Canyon
-Canyonlands
-Arches NP
-Moab
-Probably need to make it up to SLC cause it's on the list of places to move
-Check out vegas for day or two, don't think I'd need more than that there
-Make my way to San Diego
April - May:
-Check out SD for a week or so, too many good breweries to list
-Make my way up the coast to LA for a couple days
-Continue up the PCH to SF where I'd like to spend a week or more
-Spend some time in Yosemite and the Sierras
-Redwood NP
-Up the coast to Portland, OR for a few days
-Up to Olympic NP
-Seattle for a few days
-Explore Mt. Baker area
-Hangout with a friend in Bellingham for a week or so
June - the rest of the trip
-Head up to vancouver for a few days
-Whistler
-Banff NP
-Glacier NP
-Yellowstone NP
-Grand Teton NP
-Badlands NP

As you can see there are some gaps of time in the winter as well as the summer. I was thinking I could add a mexico leg onto the winter and perhaps cut the ski bumming short a little. I also think there is more than enough time in the summer for an Alaska leg, but I wasn't planning on it originally so I haven't a clue where I would go. Seems like if I have the time and I'm already gonna be that close I might as well.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions, I apologize for such a long and rambling post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:26 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,420 times
I know it's not America's most popular region, but the Midwest is conspicuous by its absence. If you've got a year, you shouldn't miss it. At the very least, you've got to go to Chicago. How about this: From DC, head northwest, hitting Pittsburgh and Cleveland, maybe even with a detour through Columbus, then across to Chicago before cutting up through Milwaukee on your way to Minneapolis. Then get back to Boston through Canada -- you could pass through Toronto and Montreal. This route also helps you see more of New England (though if you're from Boston, you've probably seen it already), the highlight probably being Vermont and its many charming towns.

Also, if you think you'll end up permanently in the Rockies, why is Denver not on the route? I guess that could be covered in your ski-bum period.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times
No Colorado

Old 07-04-2015, 05:34 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
you have Bryce and Glacier on your list, my two favorite places. Looks good to me.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
A week or two into your trip, you'll discover that those aren't the things you really wanted to see and do.. Some will quickly become same old same old.

I bet you changed your major in.college, too.

Just go with the flow and quit when you've had enough. Never be afraid to change your plans when you get the gut feeling to.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 AM

404 posts, read 904,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I know it's not America's most popular region, but the Midwest is conspicuous by its absence. If you've got a year, you shouldn't miss it. At the very least, you've got to go to Chicago. How about this: From DC, head northwest, hitting Pittsburgh and Cleveland, maybe even with a detour through Columbus, then across to Chicago before cutting up through Milwaukee on your way to Minneapolis. Then get back to Boston through Canada -- you could pass through Toronto and Montreal. This route also helps you see more of New England (though if you're from Boston, you've probably seen it already), the highlight probably being Vermont and its many charming towns.

Also, if you think you'll end up permanently in the Rockies, why is Denver not on the route? I guess that could be covered in your ski-bum period.
I have seen plenty of new england and I am going to montreal in three weeks, so I don't feel the need to add that onto the trip. I do think that chicago would be a great addition, though I'd be more likely to add that onto the return trip. Maybe from SD>Minneapolis>Around the UP>Milwaukee>Chiacago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No Colorado
I lived in Boulder for a year, then Breckenridge for two. If I decide to ski bum, it will likely be in colorado since that is where most of my friends are. I did some traveling while I lived there, so I don't feel obligated to add it onto this trip, especially if I'm likely to move back there after this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A week or two into your trip, you'll discover that those aren't the things you really wanted to see and do.. Some will quickly become same old same old.

I bet you changed your major in.college, too.

Just go with the flow and quit when you've had enough. Never be afraid to change your plans when you get the gut feeling to.
Haha I did change my major in college. I'm definitely keeping this a very loose and open scheduled trip. I'm not making any reservations or anything that ties me to a specific time and place. That being said I'm curious as to what parts of my trip will get repetitive and boring. Something tells me a lot of the southwest section is going to be the same, but many people say it's the most beautiful area of the country, so I'm not sure what part I would cut out.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
only mentioning this because it looks like it works with your schedule, but the first weekend in June every year, they have a Volksmarch at the Crazy Horse Memorial near Custer where you can walk up to, and on top of the carving. Pretty cool view of the Black Hills not to mention standing on the outstretched arm with his massive head in front of you.

https://crazyhorsememorial.org/crazy...olksmarch.html

Old 07-06-2015, 03:53 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
IF you nare going to be in NYC during October remember that this is a very busy season when lodging is both scarce and expensive. Everything from five stare hotels to the YMCA will be booked nearly solid, and of course you can't camp out in Central Park! So make some sort of reservations early.

I also wonder of this is an issue in NOLA around the Xmas, or Florida around Thanksgiving. IDK, but I would check that out sooner rather than later.

Also in the Southeast, why not go from Asheville into Atlanta for a day or two, veer east into Charleston and the low country, and then head down to Florida? That's an interesting part of the country. Just a suggestion.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
If you do decide to do Wisconsin, make sure to hit the Driftless (SW WI - you can see the topography on satellite), especially along the Great River Road. Some of the best cycling within 500 miles, up/down/twisting throughout the region, very little traffic, yet generally all paved due to the early dairy industry and concerns of broken glass milk bottles. Great river road:

Suggestions include Mindoro Cut (largest hand-hewn cut in the country, and an alpine-like drive up to it):

Kickapoo (oldest river system outside Antarctica, twisting-est river in the world) Valley/Wildcat Mountain:

Wisconsin River (Hwy 60):

I'd go northwoods/Lake Superior shore, but you need to cover ground and it's pretty far from everything, since you want to see cities as well. Driftless is "between" Minneapolis and Madison, which then puts you an hour from Milwaukee and then another hour and a half from Chicago. It also has lots of roadside character, like House on the Rock and Wisconsin Dells and tons of weird grottos and folk art "attractions" throughout. Just a thought. Oh - and the best cheese in the world. Cheese factories/shops everywhere.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
A good resource for planning your tour,particularly the California section.=http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/ForestRoad172.htm.
I'd personally dump the Florida leg of the trip as its rather boring from a motorcycle perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.