Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times

Advertisements

I first thought of Texas, but California is there too, especially anywhere within a couple of miles of the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I first thought of Texas, but California is there too, especially anywhere within a couple of miles of the coast.
When I was helping my Brother-in-law move out of Burbank, his cousin (an LA native) showed up. Nice enough guy, but he was talking with some other natives there about how he didn't see a point in leaving California.

I mean, California's cool and all, but there are cool places *everywhere*.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
When I was helping my Brother-in-law move out of Burbank, his cousin (an LA native) showed up. Nice enough guy, but he was talking with some other natives there about how he didn't see a point in leaving California.

I mean, California's cool and all, but there are cool places *everywhere*.
California is an amazing place to live if you are super rich like a billionaire or even worth 100 million but California is not worth the high cost of living especially the further you get away from their beach towns. Same with NYC, I do not find it a livable city if you are not super rich, the taxes are too high and the real estate is ridiculously overpriced but then again to each his/her own.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
True. The level of "Michigan Pride" here can reach levels that are borderline annoying. And I am pro-Michigan myself.

In my limited experience with Wisconsin, I've gotten the impression that people there are also very fond of their state (as they should be!)

I don't have any experience with Minnesota, but I'll take your word for it.

As someone who used to live in Michigan I believe all that Michigan pride stuff you hear, pure Michigan etc is more of a reaction to the endless negativity people up there here about the state from outsiders. The economic troubles, Detroit, and of course the weather are a constant source of jokes or insults about Michigan and I know people there get tired of it. Late night comedians, politicians and TV/news all have heaped this stuff out as the auto industry collapsed, Detroits mayor went to prison, Detroit went bankrupt, Detroit in ruins etc. In response there has been this huge surge in state pride, really as a defense against all of this. A lot of it has been very successful in taking the eyes off Detroit and putting them on places like Sleeping bear dunes or Mackinac Island. Of course this is my opinion and I may be wrong but it seems to make sense to me.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:14 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Minnesotans think their state is head and shoulders above every bordering state

Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM

389 posts, read 596,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
NY, AZ, TX, CA all come to mind. Lots of state pride!
Umm.. no

Arizona has too many transplants for there to be state pride.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Umm.. no
Lol I don't find Arizona residents that prideful mostly like Florida its too full of transplants lol

Old 07-08-2015, 07:54 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Umm.. no

Arizona has too many transplants for there to be state pride.
While I agree, I think many Arizonans (even transplants) take pride in the spectacular natural beauty of the state.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Oregons state motto should be "everything here is slightly less than half as cool as we all say it is"

Texas' should officially be designated "the overcompensation state"

Michigan is a distant third on the "legendary in the own minds" category.
Your opinion is duly noted, though it differs significantly from mine.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
The only state pride I've seen has come from Californians and Texans. I really can't think of another state.

Minnesotans and Michiganders? Really? Do people live in an alternate reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.