Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The problem is if you're not from the golden 8 cities of the country: NYC, SF, Chicago, Philly, Boston, D.C., Seattle, L.A., then your opinion all of a sudden becomes irrelevant or diluted on these forums. Like you can't speak about urbanity or density or walkability. Basically, a lot of elitism from the usual suspects.

It's worse if you're from the South and parts of the midwest. City-Data is extremely Northeast and Western biased(also include Chicago). Atlanta and Houston are the only two cities not from those regions that have a lot of posters and I guess aren't scared to boost or defend themselves or their cities.

This is why people ultimately leave out locations, though some do it for security reasons or just never get around to it.
"Basically a lot of elitism from the usual suspects".

Perhaps, you did not intend to do so but what you said in the above sentence is exactly why I would not have chose LINative as my screen name if I knew City-Data back in 2008 I way I know it now. (LI stands for Long Island). Over the years I have seen people treat me as a New Yorker and Northeastern stereotype rather then as an individual. Most people don't but there are some people here who think they know you based solely on where you are from instead of what you are saying.

I think that sort of answers the OP's question for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
This site and the internet in general has tons of stalkerish creepos who might go after you. For most people, it's obvious where they're from since they usually have a "home base" local section they post regularly in but some only go to the discussion forums.
^^This. There have been several regular posters at city-data who were "outed" by trolls. One troll in particular was able to get posters' home phone numbers and even workplace information all while he (the troll) stayed securely anonymous. In a perfect world we could all share information about where we live, but the reality is, the Internet is full of psychotic losers who take joy in ruining the lives of others.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.