Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 97,033 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I too, am intrigued by Minneapolis/St. Paul. I have an uncle in Eden Prairie, although I've never been there to visit. I understand that Minnesota has a low unemployment rate and a higher than average, "average salary." The climate frightens my husband, however. Can it really be that much worse than Cleveland, with its lakefront snow? How long are Minnesota winters? In Cleveland it's usually November through April.

I'm disappointed to hear so many advising me against Detroit. I love Ann Arbor and Windsor, and think the overall region could please me, but the comments about the Detroit area make me a bit wary. Do people in Detroit just like to bash their own town, like many Clevelanders do (for us it's sort of a hobby to be an "underdog" city), or is it really that bad? How are Detroit's libraries?

Chicago is not my top pick because of its size and affordability, but I thought perhaps the job market may be better. How far is Rockford from Chicago? Milwaukee intrigues me, although I don't know much about it. And I've heard great things about Madison.

I agree that the people in Missouri are very friendly and kind, so that could be an option I didn't think of. But I grew up near Lake Erie and if at all possible want to be near one of the Great Lakes.

Although it's not very close to the Lakes, can anyone advise me about Pittsburgh? I've visited there several times and it seems very friendly, affordable, and not too big. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate all of your advice. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,280 times
my not liking detroit is a personal opinion, youyou. that does not mean you wont enjoy it there. many do and many detroiters take pride in their city. however lots of people equally hate it. i would recommend visiting yourself.

windsor is great. ann arbor is cool, too. one of the few places i would live in southeast michigan. but, i'd rather be on the lakeshore... and thats where i am.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:06 PM

243 posts, read 1,097,013 times
Can't think of anything substantially positive to say about Detroit, sorry. Especially downtown/the city itself. I have spent way too much time in Detroit, it's easily the crummiest major American city I've ever been to, and I've been to most of them. But some of the suburbs like Ann Arbor and Gross Pointe are quite nice.

I'm no Midwest fan, but the nicest Midwestern cities I've been to are Chicago, Cincinnati, and Columbus. Chicago's in its own league, but the other 2 are OK in their own right.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 PM

77 posts, read 464,576 times
Madison, Wis., is a pretty nice place - almost no crime, clean, just named one of the US's best walking towns, lots of bike paths, lots of restaurants, a fair amount of diversity thanks to the Univ. of Wis., fantastic setting on an isthmus surrounded by four glacial lakes, moderate weather (hardly snows there at all anymore), progressive-minded, not too big or too small.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:38 PM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
Hi,

Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I too, am intrigued by Minneapolis/St. Paul. I have an uncle in Eden Prairie, although I've never been there to visit. I understand that Minnesota has a low unemployment rate and a higher than average, "average salary." The climate frightens my husband, however. Can it really be that much worse than Cleveland, with its lakefront snow? How long are Minnesota winters? In Cleveland it's usually November through April.
Well Minnesota winters are not to be taken lightly. We get less snow than Cleveland since we aren't on the eastern side of one of the lakes. Though we're quite close (Duluth is a 2.5hr shot north from the Twin Cities). The temperature is where it can get cold. Average is Zero during the winter. Winters are about the same as the rest of the midwest, but the roughest parts of winter are January and Feb.

One thing about Minnesota is that the Summers are to DIE for. It's just perfect up here Plus there's tons of lakes (the land of 10,000 lakes after all).

Minnesota's economy is GREAT. Very well balanced and not dependant on any one industries. May fortune 500 companies are based here and I really enjoy it!

Finally the scenery is AWESOME I really enjoy Minnesota. Come visit!

Quote:
I'm disappointed to hear so many advising me against Detroit. I love Ann Arbor and Windsor, and think the overall region could please me, but the comments about the Detroit area make me a bit wary. Do people in Detroit just like to bash their own town, like many Clevelanders do (for us it's sort of a hobby to be an "underdog" city), or is it really that bad? How are Detroit's libraries?
Well I won't be singing Detroit's praises. I moved because of the economic situation (from Michigan to Minnesota; I spent the majority of my time in the Lansing/Ann Arbor/Detroit areas). Things are not good around there! If you want to move to Michigan, go for it, but have a job first and be prepared for some shock with regard to the decay of the area!

Quote:
Chicago is not my top pick because of its size and affordability, but I thought perhaps the job market may be better. How far is Rockford from Chicago? Milwaukee intrigues me, although I don't know much about it. And I've heard great things about Madison.
Rockford is about 1.2 hours from Chicago proper. In traffic it can be worse.

Anyway Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:04 PM

15 posts, read 69,282 times
Madison is beautiful. its a pretty big city but feels unlike any other its size because of its position on a group of like 5-6 lakes. very diverse, great food and liberal. perfect in my mind

Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityKid9 View Post
Madison is beautiful. its a pretty big city but feels unlike any other its size because of its position on a group of like 5-6 lakes. very diverse, great food and liberal. perfect in my mind
Madison is gorgeous, the best capitol city in the nation IMO. Winters can be harsh, but spring, summer and fall are awesome.

Chicago is gigantic, but worth every penny. Its a smaller version of NYC. World class restaurants, arts, museums, sports (if youre a masochist LOL). The suburbs are my fave in the USA, sooooo much to choose from, ALL have their unique flavor.

Rockford is a huge haul from Chicago and isnt that great of a city. Its growing and has lots of nice developments, etc, but the core remains a bit outdated and kinda trashy.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM

157 posts, read 479,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkirk View Post
Madison, Wis., is a pretty nice place - almost no crime, clean, just named one of the US's best walking towns, lots of bike paths, lots of restaurants, a fair amount of diversity thanks to the Univ. of Wis., fantastic setting on an isthmus surrounded by four glacial lakes, moderate weather (hardly snows there at all anymore), progressive-minded, not too big or too small.
I agree. Madison has got to be one of the nicest places in America. I've heard that it has a very good school system too. Residents place a premium on education and teachers are relatively better paid there than elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:51 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times
Wow, looks like no shortage of love for Madison, Wisconsin! Ive never been to Madison but people who have been there tend to not be able to stop talking about how great that city is.

I would say Columbus, Ohio is one of the best and most under-rated cities in the midwest. I lived there for a year and its a great city. The locals dont give it nearly enough of credit!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 AM

53 posts, read 307,877 times
Often you can't go wrong with a true university town, such as Madison, Columbus and Ann Arbor. Iowa City, IA, and Lawrence, KS, also have good reputations, though further from the Great Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.