U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 AM

11 posts, read 92,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm from Cleveland, have been living overseas for almost 2 years, and am preparing to return to the US. I like the Midwest (Great Lakes Region)and want to return. I'd appreciate advice/opinions on other Midwest cities, as I'm not limiting myself to just Cleveland.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Reasonable housing prices--I will rent, but prefer to rent a small free-standing house, rather than an appartment or duplex.

Some culture--at least a few universities in the area, good libraries, etc.

Diversity

Reasonable crime rate--something comparable to Cleveland.

Easy access to an airport

I'm thinking about Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh.

If anyone is familiar with Cleveland, I'm looking for a community similar to Cleveland Heights or Lakewood--older, inner ring suburbs, affordable, middle class, diverse communities.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 01:56 PM

153 posts, read 648,912 times
Detroit's crime rate is far from reasonable. Due to the jobs situation and crumbling infrastructure I'd avoid Michigan like the plague.

Chicago is a wonderful city to live in but can be a bit big, especially if you aren't used to the size of the city.

Milwaukee is similar to chicago, just smaller in size. It's quite diverse, though IMHO has been on the decline lately.

One city I think you've forgotten for the Great Lakes region that is similar to Clev -- is Minneapolis/St. Paul (The Twin Cities). It's a great place, very friendly people, diverse with plenty to do. I also think it meets all your requirements (plenty of colleges and uni's, excellent job situation, housing is a little steep but still affordable, and VERY easy access to a major airport. Plus we have some of the best schools and our people are the most literate in the country!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:08 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,786,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
I'm looking for a community similar to Cleveland Heights or Lakewood--older, inner ring suburbs, affordable, middle class, diverse communities.
Dearborn, Michigan-older,inner ring suburb-yes, affordable-yes, middle class-yes, diverse communities-so-so.

U of M Dearborn, Henry Ford Community College

Metro Airport is about 10-15 minutes away on I-94

Hope this helps....

Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM

622 posts, read 2,535,228 times
My vote would be Minneapolis, too!

I would also avoid Detroit. Just moved from there 2 weeks ago after a 2 year period and I hated it. It's a ghost town.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,282,966 times
I'd say Minneapolis/ St. Paul or Chicago. Both are wonderful cities in their own right but Chicago is pretty expensive. But on the flip-side, it has more major events, activities, etc than Minneapolis.

You couldn't go wrong with either city in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,074,093 times
It's too bad about the economy in Michigan because it's such a beautiful state...stunning really and there are so many nice towns, beautiful homes, etc. I like Minneapolis as well, though for me, Missouri holds the greatest attraction. St. Louis has a bad rap (though Trader Joe's is there with the great cheeses and sausages!). I'd recommend Kansas City. One thing about Missouri, it's low tax, nice folks, lots to do, and inexpensive to live in. I did get a bit of a shock when I got my property tax assessment on Saturday. I had expected $1100. I've got a 2300 sq. ft, custom brick home on 4.3 acres north of Springfield. The tax bill is $1479. It's still awfully cheap, just $379 more than I expected! Here you pay personal property taxes too, meaning you pay a yearly tax on your automobiles. Mine is a 98 Toyota Tacoma and I got that bill with the regular property tax bill. It is $76. Out of the property tax bill, $1200 goes to the school district. $96 goes to the rural fire department not far from me (they have a terrible rating. "10" being the worst...they rank "9") Let's hope I never have a fire! Anyway, I love this part of the Midwest and it's not quite as arctic in the winter

Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I would also avoid Detroit. Just moved from there 2 weeks ago after a 2 year period and I hated it. It's a ghost town.
Avoid the city of Detroit or the metro area in general?

What Detroit lacks in entertainment,diversity and many other things, Windsor,Ontario definitely makes up for it.

You have Jamaican neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods(etc.) with a vibrant downtown.(Windsor that is)

Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 18,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Avoid the city of Detroit or the metro area in general?

What Detroit lacks in entertainment,diversity and many other things, Windsor,Ontario definitely makes up for it.

You have Jamaican neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods(etc.) with a vibrant downtown.(Windsor that is)
i am having login issues... but its me.

i dont like the entire metro area. i'll even extend that to the entire southeast portion of michigan. i know detroit has its good points.. very historical and interesting city... and there are some cool places around (like ferndale) but i hated it. and i lived near royal oak, the supposed "hotspot." Windsor is cool, though, yes. but i dont think it makes up for it. of all the places in the world to go... there are a lot better places than metro detroit.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese3 View Post
i dont like the entire metro area. i'll even extend that to the entire southeast portion of michigan.
I know i'm straying a little off-topic here but wanted to share this....we have a saying that goes like this-"Sh*t floats Downriver (area south of Detroit along the Detroit River is called "Downriver" for those of you that don't know) and settles in a cesspool called Monroe.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 PM

622 posts, read 2,535,228 times
LOL never heard that one! But then again never went downriver unless passing through on I-75 or going to the airport I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or