Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 12:47 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed traveling across the US is the general approach to business. Take startups for example:

East Coast is more traditional, hierarchy based, and investors want the money to work before the big ideas come into the picture. Even noticed this in Pittsburgh when I moved back.

West Coast is more open to having that great idea and then finding funding.

So, my question is what are some of the East Coast/Midwestern/Southern cities that follow more of a West Coast way of doing business/socializing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 01:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
I have been exploring places to relocate with great start up scenes and near the beach. I just read a great article about the florida and miami start up scene,

tampa Welcome to Tampa: A startup scene emerges in this beach paradise

Welcome to Tampa: A startup scene emerges in this beach paradise - GeekWire

Miami

5 things to know about Miami's start-up scene

I just want to be able to boat and be near a beach and still work in computers, the big hubs like south bay and austin are just not the ticket, south bay too expensive and too cold and austin is a long way from the beach. I have heard things about Atlanta tech village is really cool, its where yikyak came from and mail chimp. Yikyak is pretty cool. I can tell you Washington DC is great but its not concentrated in one area

Old 07-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Cool. I'm talking about ideologies mainly. Miami/Tampa has the open-ideas culture?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:21 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Are you referring to something like this?: The Tech Garden

Or this: Syracuse Center of Excellence - Excellence in Environmental and Energy Innovations

Home | South Side Innovation Center

Old 07-15-2015, 02:33 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
I cant say really about tampa, but I would think places like that would be more open minded to new ideas even without funding because theydont have the big venture capital firms like california. austin is in a very conservative state but its an incredibly dynamic start up culture,I like social stuff like sxsw where you meet other people and socialize. yikyak was started by a bunch of furman students and took off in atlanta and on college campuses and is one of the bigger ones out there right now. I still think california is the place to be probably but I just dont want to move out west

It says you are in asheville, what do you think of that town, seems like a pretty cool place to be right now. Much of a start up scene besides breweries? lol In the southeast the most venture capital is going to be in washington dc, but I bet charlotte and raleigh have venture capital, I dont know about the actual start up culture in this places. great article on dc start up scene and social scene around start ups here Tech.Co's Guide to the D.C. Tech Scene

tech day is a great way to meet people, they have them all over https://techdayhq.com/

Old 07-15-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
It says you are in asheville, what do you think of that town, seems like a pretty cool place to be right now.
A lot of people do art stuff, but there really isn't much money in it except for a few self-made folks. Basically tourism, medical, and retired folks. Very low wages with big city costs.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,440 times
I would think that Atlanta would be a city really open to new ideas.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 AM

3,864 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Boston seems like the one closest to the West Coast way of operating when it comes to start ups.

You have an educated population with access to some of the worlds best Universities. The city has a full time "start up czar" responsible for connecting the ideas people with the money people (Boston Startups: Rory Cuddyer Named as City First Startup Czar | BostInno)
It is also the Metro with the 2nd largest amount of VC funding in the world after SF/Silicon Valley, so you have access to an incredible amount of capitol. Much of that has gone to Biotech, but Software investments are on the rise this year (http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/0...ng-q2-of-2015/)

Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Boston seems like the one closest to the West Coast way of operating when it comes to start ups.
Boston is the very definition of traditional East coast business city. Some people have mentioned this as a possible reason why the nightlife isn't as good as it should be.

Granted I'm sure there's a lot of open minded idea folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.