Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times

Advertisements

Montana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Although I am a novice fisherman, I truly enjoy to fish when the opportunity arises. For those who are like-minded, where in this great country of ours, the United States of America, would you classify as cities that are good and not so good for fishing?

Let me explain further. Cities (which includes suburban cities of other major, medium and small sized cities) that are good for fishing should have easy and ample opportunities to access lakes, ponds or any other kinds of water bodies, regardless of having a watercraft or not. A city or municipality with good fishing accessibility, should be in close proximity to any particular city's boundaries, that is no more then 15 miles away from the city limits. Cities should also have few restrictions for those without boats, such as allowing bank fishing (of course there will be some restrictions, as there should be too...No toxic dumping, please!).

On the flip side, cities that are not so good for fishing, do not share these qualities as stated earlier. Rwarky
Well there is Fishing in Lake Michigan and in Chicago Proper. In boats of course... but also along its many areas of the Lakefront, not on a beach of course..... But a concrete or stone section of the Lakefront.

CHICAGO'S City proper Lakefront. Was put aside for PUBLIC RECREATION. From Parkland to Beaches and Harbors. On its 26 miles of Shoreline. Even its Downtown has Beaches, Harbors.

I have seen people fishing in the city in more remote parts and stretches of the Lakefront.
I Fish Illinois -- Lake Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VvL89EE2gk

Shows fishing off Diversey part of the North of Downtown Shore. You may want to scroll past the first few minutes to the actual fishing part.

Excerpt from comments on fish and times of year.

Right now on Lake MI Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass and Rock Bass can be caught very regularly from shore. The best bait to throw for them is the Rapala Jointed Shad Rap in the Fire Craw color. The only way to catch salmon now is to go way out off shore into deep water. The Kings will be in, in the fall and the cohos in the Spring.

Have a Picture to prove it too. A unusually calm day in the water. On CHICAGO'S North Shore.

Right Downtown

Last edited by steeps; 07-18-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 09:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Montana
Is Montana good or bad for fishing, and which cities too?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Anywhere in the southeast, I am partial to ocracoke on outer banks north carolina and hilton head sc and florida, especially in the keys

Not exactly everywhere in the Southeastern U.S., some areas actually stink for fishing.

Last edited by Rwarky; 07-18-2015 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 09:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Alaska has the best fishing in the U.S. I would recommend the Anchorage area.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:46 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Alaska has the best fishing in the U.S. I would recommend the Anchorage area.
The Florida Keys is deemed the fishing capital of the world. Not knocking Alaska but it's hard for me to believe it has better fishing than Florida.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
While it's actually pretty bad compared to the rest of the state - SW WI has hundreds of the best trout streams in the country that empty into the Mississippi (which is also our border), the northern third of the state has over 10,000 pristine inland lakes, the best Lake Michgan fishing is a good distance north of the area, and Lake Superior is 5 hours away - there is "Lake Country" west and southwest of Milwaukee, the city sits right on Lake Michigan, and the morraines region north and NW has some nice lakes and rivers as well. When I first moved here, a friend took me around to places within a half hour, and it just wasn't the same as fishing out in real nature without competing with other people for already-fished-out bodies of water. I imagine this would go for any significant metro area - there are many places & many different kinds of places to fish near Milwaukee, but I'll take a non-metro area every single time, regardless of what is listed here in the thread.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:08 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
What you are fishing for would help !! For all we know it could be bluegill or sailfish !!

Old 07-20-2015, 04:32 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You can also fish off the shore and piers all around the SF Bay Area. I don't think you even need a license to fish off the piers.
Yeah, you don't need a license in CA if you're on a public pier or under 16, but you do need one otherwise. But certain kinds of fish need to be reported no matter what when you catch them.

lots of info:
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/fishregs.aspx

Old 07-20-2015, 04:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
New York City

Less than a couple of hours from virtually any type of fishing from saltwater and surfcasting to warm water sport fishing to trophy lake fishing to fly fishing mountain streams for trout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.