Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:39 PM

160 posts, read 332,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
You probably don't want to hear it but we have plenty to see and do right here in this country. And you can take your own vehicle as well so there won't be any additional costs. Beaches? Check! Mountains? Check! White water rafting/canoeing? check! Skiing? Check! Deserts? Check! Tropics? Check! Arctic tundra? Check! Canyons? Check! Plenty of places with unmatched scenery? Check! Vibrant cities full of life? Check! Party spots? Check! Beautiful places for general relaxation? Check!
Read my op again. I wrote that the U.S. has varied landscapes and many beautiful places. I've been to a few of them. Still, it doesn't have everything. And yes, I realize that some people - not just Americans - might not want to step out of their comfort zone. It's their choice and I respect that. However, even if that's the case, I don't see why some people say that there's no need to go anywhere since you have everything in the U.S. For example, you can say the following: I know that there are many beautiful places around the world, but I prefer to say in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I really don't think people actually say that?

Some people just don't have the desire to travel abroad because they're brainwashed into thinking that most countries outside of Europe/East Asia (or other English-speaking countries) are dangerous. My mother is one of these people; she's absolutely convinced she'll be abducted, raped, and have her head sawed off if she goes pretty much anywhere undeveloped.
Actually a few people did, even on this forum. I forgot to mention in my op that some countries are not safe because of political unrests. There's no need to travel there unless you have family in that country. And you should always check with the State Department and other countries' travel advisory bodies before booking your trip.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,775,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
Read my op again. I wrote that the U.S. has varied landscapes and many beautiful places. I've been to a few of them. Still, it doesn't have everything. And yes, I realize that some people - not just Americans - might not want to step out of their comfort zone. It's their choice and I respect that. However, even if that's the case, I don't see why some people say that there's no need to go anywhere since you have everything in the U.S. For example, you can say the following: I know that there are many beautiful places around the world, but I prefer to say in the U.S.
I tried to state that in the rest of my post.

basically, There really doesn't have to be a reason. many people just have no desire to visit any other country and that goes for people with the means in other country's as well. Absolutey no differenty then why a person likes a particular type of food. Or a particular color vehicle. Or choses to live in the country or the city. There really doesn't need to be a reason for it. It just is. And just like that, many just don't want to.

An example. "There is absolutely no need for me to go outside of the country this coming winter for a vacation. I can go sit on a beach in FL and enjoy the same warm temperatures I'd get further south. I can take a day sailfishing off Jupiter and spend another couple of days partying in Key West. And I'll be happy and have had a great time. So yep! No need for me to visit another country and do the same things! No need at all." Is that better?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM

10,000 posts, read 8,510,809 times
I have a tendency to vomit when I travel long distances.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I tried to state that in the rest of my post.
An example. "There is absolutely no need for me to go outside of the country this coming winter for a vacation. I can go sit on a beach in FL and enjoy the same warm temperatures I'd get further south. I can take a day sailfishing off Jupiter and spend another couple of days partying in Key West. And I'll be happy and have had a great time. So yep! No need for me to visit another country and do the same things! No need at all." Is that better?
Absolutely. You're stating your preferences and people should respect that. However, you're not saying that there's no point in going to another country since you have everything you need at home. You might as well say: "I can go sit on a beach in Barbados. Been there a few times. It's my favorite place in the world. No interest in going to another beach destination, either in the U.S. or anywhere else. Yes, I know that there are many other warm beach destinations on the planet, but I prefer Barbados". This doesn't sound insular.

Last edited by Marissa23; 07-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-22-2015, 05:04 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,990,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
First of all, I don't think it's true that many Americans rarely travel outside of the U.S.
Only about 1/3 of Americans hold a passport, so that's a pretty good indication that about 2/3's of Americans have never traveled outside the country.

I have traveled extensively outside the country, mostly in connection with work. I have made personal trips to Europe and other countries here in the western hemisphere.

America is a big country, with a wide diversity of cities, cultures, points of historical interest, and places of amazing natural beauty. Given that, I think an equally reasonable question is why are some people so quick to spend their vacation time in other countries when they haven't explored more than a small fraction of their own country?

Dave

Old 07-22-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Only about 1/3 of Americans hold a passport, so that's a pretty good indication that about 2/3's of Americans have never traveled outside the country.
Dave
Many probably travelled to Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean destinations before passports were required for these countries.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post

America is a big country, with a wide diversity of cities, cultures, points of historical interest, and places of amazing natural beauty. Given that, I think an equally reasonable question is why are some people so quick to spend their vacation time in other countries when they haven't explored more than a small fraction of their own country?

Dave
If you're learning a foreign language, it makes sense to study or work in that country even for a short time. Some people might have interest in a particular culture or architecture. Others might want to visit their ancestral homeland. It doesn't mean that they have no interest in exploring their own country. Maybe a native New Yorker would rather first travel to California and Hawaii to see different landscapes than explore Upstate New York. Again, it doesn't mean they're not interested in it, but they probably figure they'll always have time since it's a fairly short drive.

Last edited by Marissa23; 07-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-22-2015, 05:23 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,348,220 times
Some people just cannot fathom life outside a small area. It's especially common in the midwest.

I would expect financial constraints to play a role for a lot of people. Travel overseas is expensive. This is why lots of people wait until retirement to do it.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 PM

15,992 posts, read 10,550,537 times
I've actually had a similar discussion with a friend who was in the military in Vietnam. He really thinks that people live in grass and mud huts everywhere else and he saw enough of that. He only travels to visit relatives and then only rarely. If I spent a lot of time in the military overseas I might not want to travel for a while.

When we went to Peru a few years ago some friends thought we were foolhardy and would be attacked and robbed or worse. If I want to be attacked and robbed I can do that at home....don't go places where you feel unsafe. Some people also are confused and frightened about currency exchange rates and the cost of travel. For the most part you won't see a huge difference in the cost of food or hotels if you pay attention to the location. A sidewalk cafe on St. Mark's piazza in Venice is gonna cost you -- don't eat there if you only want to spend a few euros.

The cost of airfare and the general indignities associated with flying anywhere makes it undesirable to take many trips and Americans are wedded to their cars so they drive to the nearest beach or ski resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.