Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM

172 posts, read 177,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
Again, I understand that all of these are legitimate reasons and not just for Americans. However, people can say that this is why they don't travel abroad. Why do they have to say that there's no need to go anywhere since you can find everything you want in the U.S.?

I can understand if many Americans don't travel abroad. To expensive, to far away. But I would never understand when people say, there is no need to go anywhere since you can find everything you want in the U.S.?

That sounds very stupid to me. It sounds nationalistic and ignorant. That's maybe one reason why some Americans ask exchange students from Europe questions like "do you have electricity in France", "do you have cars in Germany". Or they think they have to explain how a microwave works. Or they think that other countries are unable to grow lettuce properly. Even here in this forum you can find dreadful perceptions of Europe.

I really can understand if Americans don't travel overseas. That's not a problem. But as a surrogate I would try to learn as much about other countries as possible. And of course I would never make such an arrogant statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 02:43 PM

172 posts, read 177,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Is that 1/3 of Americans, people who currently hold a valid passport, or who have ever had a valid passport?

I know quite a few people--myself and my husband included--whose passports are long expired. We just haven't had the chance to travel outside the US for more than 10 years. We certainly have traveled in the past; I had been to Guatemala, Japan, France, Spain and Germany before I was 18 years old; my husband went to Brazil twice. We also went to Canada twice before passports were required.

Our passports are now expired, but it would be quite unfair to put us in the category of "doesn't have a passport; has never left the USA." I actually know quite a few other people--family members, friends--who are in the same situation.

According to this article:

TheExpeditioner Travel SiteHow Many Americans Have A Passport? | TheExpeditioner Travel Site

46% of Americans have a passport. 62% in New Jersey, but only 18% in Mississippi. That's an unbelievable difference. I am pretty sure, that if those people in Mississippi or other states with low passport rates, would travel more overseas, they would see some circumstances in the U.S. different.

I don't know how meaningful such a statistic is. Many of those people are surely people that have relatives in other countries. And maybe many of them aren't born in the U.S.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I don't travel overseas because I'd rather spend my hard-earned money right here in the good ole U S of A.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:13 PM

160 posts, read 335,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I wasn't only reacting to your first post, but more to a general view that I think is prevalent in some gourps that Americans should travel abroad more than they do, and that they are somehow less well off by not traveling abroad.

That said, I do sense an implication in your post that you agree with that perspective. You do go on and on singing the praises of Europeans who apparently have all visited numerous countries across multiple continents.

Dave
Dave,

I don't praise Europeans for visiting other continents. Yes, I do think that it's good to travel abroad to see how others live. By travelling I mean interacting with locals, learning languages, and not just staying in a 5-star hotel or renting a villa and spending all your time jet-skiing and sipping martinis on the beach. If that's what many people do, it's fine. Still, it doesn't make them more well-rounded. I meant that I've yet to meet a European who says that there's no reason for them to leave their continent since they have a variety of activities there. Architecture? Check (and more varied than in the U.S.). Museums? Check. Mountains? Check. Arctic/Tundra? Check (incl. Iceland and Greenland, though technically they're in N.A., but the latter is part of Denmark). Beaches? Check (Though not year-round, unless you fly to North Africa). Forests? Check. Dry regions? Check. Deserts? Close by in North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

I know Europeans who've never been outside of Europe except for work-related travel or exchange programs. A few people I know don't like to fly. The most they'll fly is about three hours to visit family on the other side of Europe, or about an hour when flying for leisure purposes. Then, they'll prefer to rent a car or go by train. You can find such people on every continent. What I meant in my op is that Europeans who do travel frequently not only travel within Europe (add to that North Africa and the Middle East since they're right next door).

Many go to the Caribbean and Florida, Hawaii, Maldives, Seychelles, Thailand, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Peru, Kenya, Colorado and B.C. for skiing, etc. For example, the French and the Brits travel to Miami. They have French and British islands in the Caribbean, yet they don't say that there's no point in going to Florida since they have their own islands close by. The French travel to beach resorts in Greece, Spain, Italy and Turkey. They don't say: "Why go there when we have the Mediterranean as well?"

I know that there are Brazilians (obviously fairly well-off) who go to Miami, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, and other beach destinations. They have miles and miles of fabulous beaches, yet they still go abroad. Actually my dream has always been to see the beaches of Brazil. That doesn't mean that I'm saying that they're better than those in the U.S. or anywhere else. I speak a little Portuguese and have always been interested in Brazilian culture.

Last edited by Marissa23; 07-23-2015 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-23-2015, 04:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
So, I have one sister who with her family has traveled extensively all over the world. They love to travel. I have another sister who with her husband has traveled a bit throughout the US but only ventured outside of the country once or twice.

My overseas family travelers seek different experiences and cultures in everything around them in a new country. The stay-at-home traveler seeks familiarity; same language, money, people etc but in a different setting like climate or terrain that can be found in the US. It all depends upon what one is looking for.

It's simply a matter of choice and/or opportunity.

Last edited by Minervah; 07-23-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 04:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Many probably travelled to Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean destinations before passports were required for these countries.

ALOT of US residents have been to these locations, especially Canada. Most residents of Northern states have been to Canada, a lot of those states have a special type of driver license that allows them to cross the border without a full blown passport. Many residents on the southern border have been to Mexico as well, and some do it quite often. Now travel outside of North America is another matter, as its very expensive. Not everyone can afford a trip to Europe or even more expensive locations like China, Japan, or Africa. Europeans can claim to be more traveled in part because of the short distance involved in international travel. A trip from France to Germany is no tougher for them than for me to leave Tennessee for a trip to Florida. The US is very big, and as has been stated offers a huge variety of landscape. I can see deserts, forest land, mountains or tropical landscapes and never leave the USA. I suppose that makes international travel seem less needed. Now I have been lucky enough to see Europe, and I would love to go again. What these other nations offer that we cannot find here is exposure to other cultures and some very old and interesting historical sites. I do understand the argument however for those who choose to only travel domestically. There is a lot to do in this nation.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
I recall a comment on another thread-a large country tends to be a world unto itself. I believe the countries listed included the United States, and China. (I also have the impression that Russia is also in this category.

Actually, in one thread, both the United States and China were listed among the most geographically diverse countries.

So, I think I understand whey some people make these sort of arguments.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 07-23-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Certain media outlets and talk show hosts promote fear and misunderstanding to keep Americans home so we don't get exposed to progressive ideas like health care for all, treating drug addicts in hospitals rather the prisons, etc. Got to herd the sheep away from new pastures lol

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Now, besides such legitimate reasons as cost and little vacation time, why do people say that there's no need for an American to go abroad?
I really don't have a clue. Traveling in Europe is a hell of a lot more interesting to me than traveling in America.

But to each their own. (I think America is the preferable place to live in though.)

Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 PM

160 posts, read 335,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The US is very big, and as has been stated offers a huge variety of landscape. I can see deserts, forest land, mountains or tropical landscapes and never leave the USA. I suppose that makes international travel seem less needed.
You can make the same argument for not travelling outside of your state. For example, someone from California might say: "Why should I go to Florida, Hawaii or Puerto Rico when we have beaches and year-round warm weather in Southern California?" The same can be said about: skiing in Colorado when there are ski resorts near Lake Tahoe; going across the state border to Nevada or Arizona when there are deserts in California; visiting NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc., when there are three major world-class cities (SF,LA,SD) offering many cultural and sporting activities.

Or a person from New York State (esp. Long Island) might say that there's no need to go to the Jersey Shore or Martha's Vineyard for the long weekend when they have Hamptons, Jones Beach, and Long Island Sound in their own state. Also, a person from Macon or Atlanta might say that there's no need to cross the state border to go to Charleston and Hilton Head or St. Augustine and the surrounding area since they have Savannah and the coast. Yes, there are some differences but the terrain and climate are very similar and like Charleston and St. Augustine, Savannah also has amazing architecture.

Last edited by Marissa23; 07-24-2015 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.