Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 PM

138 posts, read 512,230 times

Advertisements

Many of the bigger cities have multiple teams, so which one do you think of when you think of your city and why? I'll get started with a few.

New York- Yankees
No other even comes close. Both the football teams actually play in Jersey. The Knicks are not really a winning team, and the Mets are basically a minor league team considering the history of the Yanks.

Boston- Red Sox
Same thing with the history. The Celtics are also an incredibly storied franchise and much more successful in the wins column, but baseball just has so much more history and sway in the Northeast.

Los Angeles- Lakers
Definitely has the most championships in that city. With alll of the starpower at the games, the Lakers are also the most Hollywood. The Dodgers are cool but can't compare, and there is still no football team.

San Francisco- 49ers
Most successful franchise in that city. I wouldn't think of SF as a sportstown, but they do love their teams. The giants do pretty well too.

Alright. I know those were some of the easy ones, but those are some of the ones I am most familiar with. Austin (where I currently live) has no major league pro sports teams. So what about your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM

334 posts, read 1,367,548 times
Detroit Red Wings

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Chicago: tough call. Either the Bears or the Cubs.

NYC: Yankees, far and away.

Atlanta: Braves.

Phoenix: Suns.

Detroit: Red Wings.

Minneapolis: Vikings.

Wisconsin: Packers.

San Fran: 49ers.

Miami: Dolphins.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,102,610 times
Thumbs up Charlotte-Panthers

May I politely offer The Carolina Panthers??? indicative of Charlotte, NC.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM

233 posts, read 699,081 times
Once upon time, before most of the posters here were born, it was the Pirates. Now, of course it's the Pittsburgh Steelers. With the Pittsburgh area now into about a half a century of decline, the Steelers hardly ever have a true road game. Lots of SW PA natives all over the place.

Although I grew up in Chicago as a die hard White Sox fan, Steve-O is correct. In Chicago it's the Bears or the Cubs. I'd give a slight edge to the Bears.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,292,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
May I politely offer The Carolina Panthers??? indicative of Charlotte, NC.
How many people know they play in Charlotte, though? For that matter, how many people know they play in North Carolina? I happen to, but that's because I'm a genius.

As for my city, it's easily the Sharks. If you only watch regular 'Merican sports, though, you've probably never heard of San Jose.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 AM

572 posts, read 1,987,873 times
Cardinal nation takes up a large prtion of the midwest.

For many years St. Louis was the soccer capital of the US.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,469,555 times
I don't think of the west coast when I think of sports. Those cities strike me as not very sporty, more fair-weathered. Maybe they are sports fans but since my life revolves around the east and midwest I just may be used to drunk, crazed fans throwing beer and picking fist fights with opposing fans. When I think sports I think Philly, New York, Chicago, and Boston.

New York - Da Yanks, Rangers, Knicks, and Giants!

Boston - Red Sox, Pats, and Celtics. They don't strike me as a hockey town.

Philly - Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and 76ers.

Chicago - Cubs, "Da Bears!", and a decade ago - the Bulls.

I guess I could give LA the Lakers but I can't say New Yorkers, Chicagoans, Philadelphians, and Bostonians think of them much anyway.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,292,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Boston - Red Sox, Pats, and Celtics. They don't strike me as a hockey town.
Beanpot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,671,044 times
Milwaukee:

The Packers.

Even though they play in Green Bay, they are Milwaukee's team too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.