Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:55 PM

175 posts, read 203,383 times

Advertisements

All the places in the PNW, although pretty and with milder climates than here in Chicago, are just not appealing to me, no matter how hard I try to convince myself...which I do because I really hate the winters here. California is just out of the question for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is the earthquake factor.

I realize that everything involves compromise. So I think I'm going to have to give in on the weather thing. So now I'm thinking New England. I want to be able to buy in a year or two. I'm self-employed and building a new career, so hopefully I'll be able to afford something really nice, but I still don't want an area where things are crazy expensive. And I'll want to rent a nice house with a yard for my dog.

So, my budget for house rental now would be about $1200-1500 or so, and home purchase may be $275K in a year or two.

I want beautiful views, trees, water, parks, a walkable town, shopping, artsy, good healthcare...all the usual. And I do not want to be out in the middle of nowhere.

Maine is looking nice, CT seems perhaps too expensive, Cape Cod looks beautiful, I don't know much about Vermont.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Why not stay in the Midwest and move to Wisconsin or Minnesota? They have everything you want.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Why not stay in the Midwest and move to Wisconsin or Minnesota? They have everything you want.
Nope. No way. No desire to move to either of those places. New England is surely different.

Thank you anyway.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:18 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
This or if you want the Northeast, places in the Interior Northeast(Upstate NY, PA outside of the Philly area and Western MA) would have places that would fit as well. Perhaps a nice walkable village or city neighborhood in the bigger or relatively medium sized metros may work. Just to throw out a community in Upstate NY that I think is a sleeper is the village of New Hartford or perhaps South Utica(south of Burrstone/Parkway). Nice, walkable area with plenty of shopping nearby, hospitals nearby, there is some arts based facilities down the Genesee Street in Utica, about 2 or 3 colleges are within a short drive, if schools matter New Hartford is one of the best districts in Upstate NY(if not in the country) and the western Adirondacks are less than an hour away, among other things. There are others that may be better fits though.

Also, in the Midwest, MI would have places that would fit. Oberlin OH may be a community to look into.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This or if you want the Northeast, places in the Interior Northeast(Upstate NY, PA outside of the Philly area and Western MA) would have places that would fit as well. Perhaps a nice walkable village or city neighborhood in the bigger or relatively medium sized metros may work. Just to throw out a community in Upstate NY that I think is a sleeper is the village of New Hartford or perhaps South Utica(south of Burrstone/Parkway). Nice, walkable area with plenty of shopping nearby, hospitals nearby, there is some arts based facilities down the Genesee Street in Utica, about 2 or 3 colleges are within a short drive, if schools matter New Hartford is one of the best districts in Upstate NY(if not in the country) and the western Adirondacks are less than an hour away, among other things. There are others that may be better fits though.

Also, in the Midwest, MI would have places that would fit. Oberlin OH may be a community to look into.
Places outside of Philly? Sounds interesting. Pennsylvania does look beautiful. Is West Chester in that area?
Do you have any particular towns in mind?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:00 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Places outside of Philly? Sounds interesting. Pennsylvania does look beautiful. Is West Chester in that area?
Do you have any particular towns in mind?
Yes, West Chester is in the Philadelphia area. Same with New Hope. You may like places like Lewisburg, Gettysburg, Carlisle or Chambersburg, among others further inland in PA. Great Barrington in western MA may be another place to look into.

East Aurora and Lewiston in the Buffalo area, the Erie Canal villages in the Rochester area(Brockport, Spencerport, Pittsford and Fairport); Manlius(village), Skaneateles, Cazenovia and Liverpool in the Syracuse area; Ballston Spa, Delmar and Scotia in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area and perhaps Owego in the Binghamton area. If you don't mind small cities, Corning, Canandaigua, Ithaca, Glens Falls and Saratoga Springs, among others may be worth a look. Places to the east get less snow and a little but more sun in Upstate NY(i.e.- the Albany area).

Places further away from the lakes also tend to get less snow on average. So, places north of Buffalo and south/SE of Syracuse get less snow on average within those areas. Lewiston and Manlius come to mind in this regard.

Also, COL is generally just below/around the national average further inland in the Northeast. So, that may be something to consider.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-18-2016 at 05:30 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 01:36 PM

Looking for more ideas please....
I've sort of narrowed it down, albeit to states and a few towns, to:

Maine
New Hampshire
Connecticut - perhaps Guilford or thereabouts
Mass- Cape Cod or another coastal place

I really need a picturesque place with clean air, probably near water.

I would also choose the mildest weather location.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:52 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Aynor, SC

Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Aynor, SC
only 700 people live there.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:28 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Have you considered some southern areas like Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, St. Augustine FL, or Tampa/St. Petersburg FL? These are good areas that are affordable, awesome beaches, great water activities/nature, and warm weather. I didn't see it in your OP and wasn't sure.

My in-laws live on Cape Cod. While very beautiful and we love visiting, it's expensive and the winters are rough. Good luck wherever you land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.