Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:15 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Michigan was in a one state recession prior to the Great Recession mostly due to a over-reliance on the auto industry. Michigan employment follows sharp cycles as a result compared to most states. The state did pass "right to work" in 2013.

Michigan is officially a right-to-work state, but critics vow to continue fight | MLive.com
The auto industry in centered in southeast Michigan. Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula have no auto industry. The Michigan auto industry cliche gets old. The high unemployment was spread throughout the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
If you ask Montana and Wyoming residents those states will. According to a lot of people those damn liberals from California or "back east" are ruining their way of life and changing everything.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm hoping Texas becomes a purple state.. don't want to see it go the route of California politically but don't wish for it to remain a solid red state either. Florida seems to have gone the route from red to purple without becoming solidly blue so there's still hope.
Purple is the best. It means people might not vote on party lines only and might be moderate.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The auto industry in centered in southeast Michigan. Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula have no auto industry. The Michigan auto industry cliche gets old. The high unemployment was spread throughout the state.
And the combined total population in percentage terms of the UP of Michigan and the rest of northern lower Michigan is a small fraction of the state total. The only area that is growing mostly due to in-migration is Traverse City. The middle age individuals, families, and younger people have mostly vacated the rural counties as there were never many jobs there anyway. Those are retiree counties by default now, especially the up north ones with lakes.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-06-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 07:56 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's true that demographics are generally portending more liberal policies, but I wouldn't sound the death knell for the GOP just yet. A few states have indeed been getting more Republican, like Maine and some Upper Midwestern states like Minnesota and Michigan. Mostly a consequence of the Dem-Rep split getting less regional and more urban/rural, I believe.

And there's nothing stopping the GOP from shifting their stances to maximize their coalitions. It's not hard to imagine a 2030s Republican platform including acceptance of legalized pot and abortion, but stronger support for gun rights (which, counterintuitively, young Americans consistently favor more than older ones) and maybe some alt-right type stances. The Dems may be digging themselves into a deep hole by focusing too much on identity politics and looking like out-of-touch robots.
Outside of major urban areas and the coasts, I think the Democrats have pushed too far on a lot of the identity politics issues. It's not necessarily that people disagree with the goals in some broad context (equal rights), but more with tone and approach.

I'm not opposed to gay marriage, but don't want it "shoved in my face." I'm not a gun owner, but I respect the right to self-defense and for hunting. What plays well in urban Chicago is not going to pass here in rural Tennessee.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Purple is the best. It means people might not vote on party lines only and might be moderate.
Or, it means you have a similar number of straight-ticket voters on both sides.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm not opposed to gay marriage, but don't want it "shoved in my face."
What does that even mean?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 PM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
If you ask Montana and Wyoming residents those states will. According to a lot of people those damn liberals from California or "back east" are ruining their way of life and changing everything.
People from high tax states move to cheaper areas then complain things are not high quality so they want change things.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm hoping Texas becomes a purple state.. don't want to see it go the route of California politically but don't wish for it to remain a solid red state either. Florida seems to have gone the route from red to purple without becoming solidly blue so there's still hope.
Texas should become purple soon. As early as the next election cycle even. Looking at the latest election numbers, it isn't that far from where Florida is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.