Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,133,961 times

Advertisements

"Weird" as used by Austin, Portland and others pretty much just means an emphasis on independent business over chains. "Keep Austin Weird" means "keep chains out of Austin" -- simple as that.

That said, of the cities cited by the OP, I would definitely not consider New York, Boston, Philly or DC "weird," except maybe in pockets so small they barely count. I mean, look at a place like South Street in Philly -- lots of hip independent business, but then there's a Whole Foods. Burlington and especially Savannah, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,904,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
"Weird" as used by Austin, Portland and others pretty much just means an emphasis on independent business over chains. "Keep Austin Weird" means "keep chains out of Austin" -- simple as that.

That said, of the cities cited by the OP, I would definitely not consider New York, Boston, Philly or DC "weird," except maybe in pockets so small they barely count. I mean, look at a place like South Street in Philly -- lots of hip independent business, but then there's a Whole Foods. Burlington and especially Savannah, sure.
l agree about independent chains but it's also the type of people and vibe. That being said, I was thinking more independent towns or cities. I am sure bigger cities have these pockets but I'm not sure how "weird" it feels.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,136,755 times
Nothing is really weird about Austin. Portland deserves the title a little bit more.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,848,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post

South Street is pretty much Center City nowadays-expensive places are rarely "weird".

Weird in Philly is in West Philly and Mt. Airy/Germantown, and some other parts of the city too.

One weird thing that can be seen all over the city are the "toynbee tiles". There's a pretty cool documentary on their origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tiles

Old 08-03-2015, 10:04 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
Athens, GA
Decatur, GA
Charleston, SC (kinda)
Columbia, SC (kinda)
Asheville, NC
Carrboro, NC
Richmond, VA
Charlottesville, VA (more like Chapel Hill but still has a weird side)

Carrboro is definitely weirder than Chapel Hill. Carrboro is a hippie town, probably the most liberal town in the state. Chapel Hill is more so on the preppy/trendy side, almost like Raleigh in that respect. Carrboro is more like Asheville. Even Durham could fit the "Keeping it weird" bill to an extent.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
New Paltz NY is a community known for its hippie vibe.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Athens, GA
Decatur, GA
Charleston, SC (kinda)
Columbia, SC (kinda)
Asheville, NC
Carrboro, NC
Richmond, VA
Charlottesville, VA (more like Chapel Hill but still has a weird side)

Carrboro is definitely weirder than Chapel Hill. Carrboro is a hippie town, probably the most liberal town in the state. Chapel Hill is more so on the preppy/trendy side, almost like Raleigh in that respect. Carrboro is more like Asheville. Even Durham could fit the "Keeping it weird" bill to an extent.

We got to visit Chaplel Hill/Carrboro a couple months ago but it was for only one day. I wish we had more time there. It was summer, so it was quiet being the students are out of class. It definitely looked preppy in CH. Downtown Carrboro is nice for 3 or 4 blocks and then it appears to get sketchy. Once you drive out of downtown, it gets much nicer. Once again, unfortunately, we only got to spend a day there. That being said, they are both cool

We also visited Charlottesville, VA for dinner. (The outside mall area) It's a neat place as well.

What areas in Richmond are you speaking about?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We got to visit Chaplel Hill/Carrboro a couple months ago but it was for only one day. I wish we had more time there. It was summer, so it was quiet being the students are out of class. It definitely looked preppy in CH. Downtown Carrboro is nice for 3 or 4 blocks and then it appears to get sketchy. Once you drive out of downtown, it gets much nicer. Once again, unfortunately, we only got to spend a day there. That being said, they are both cool

We also visited Charlottesville, VA for dinner. (The outside mall area) It's a neat place as well.

What areas in Richmond are you speaking about?
Most of the ares downtown feel kinda hipster and artsy, as VCU certainly helps. Richmond is in the same vein as Carrboro or Asheville, at least in some ways. Downtown Raleigh and Chapel Hill, definitely more so preppy and trendy.

Carrboro, sketchy? What areas are you talking about?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Most of the ares downtown feel kinda hipster and artsy, as VCU certainly helps. Richmond is in the same vein as Carrboro or Asheville, at least in some ways. Downtown Raleigh and Chapel Hill, definitely more so preppy and trendy.

Carrboro, sketchy? What areas are you talking about?
When we drove through downtown (Franklin St) and looked at the immediate neighborhoods, maybe not sketchy but somewhat rundown?? I know we were only there a day so probably didn't get to see everything or make a good judgement.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:07 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,076,838 times
Wayne County, New York is considered weird by Rochestertarians.

Fulton, New York is considered a weirdo outpost by Syracusans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.