Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:08 PM

175 posts, read 201,144 times

Advertisements

Any other thoughts from anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:24 PM

I've looked into the Olympia WA area as suggested by someone, but I'm finding a lot of people think it rains too much and it's gloomy quite often. I get enough gloom here in the Midwest in winter. I don't think that's the best option, but perhaps there are other PNW cities that get more sun.

Please...I'd love to get more ideas and info.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 PM

286 posts, read 261,033 times
do you have to stay in one place? cause many places in the US are ok for 4-6 months of the year, and then they inhale sharply for the rest of the year. So if you move, like the birds do, you can have acceptable weather.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
do you have to stay in one place? cause many places in the US are ok for 4-6 months of the year, and then they inhale sharply for the rest of the year. So if you move, like the birds do, you can have acceptable weather.
Yes, I want to settle somewhere and have no interest in traveling back and forth. I know many do, but that's not for me....thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 AM

356 posts, read 698,697 times
Check out Sacramento, California:

Low humidity, but not desert dry - Check (Mediterranean climate), although very dry lately due to the drought
Clean air - Sacramento scores low in air quality, but personally I haven't noticed anything
Mild temps year round- four seasons and rain are fine with me - Check - summer temps can be hot but very low humidity plus much of the Sac area gets refreshing Delta Breeze. Unlike the Midwest, it cools down significantly on summer evenings/mornings (60s)
No snow or very little - Check
No tornadoes - Check
Tree lined streets - Check (Sacramento is "The City of Trees")
Beautiful scenery - The city of Sac is pretty flat, but it's close to foothills, Sierra Mountains, Lake Tahoe, Napa/Sonoma, San Francisco, California coast, national & state parks
Reasonably affordable - nice homes for around 350K - Check - Sacramento is one of the more affordable areas in CA
College / University nearby would be nice for continuing education and events - Check - Sac State (CSUS), UC Davis
Suburb close to a larger city - Sacramento is 2 hours to SF. Sac suburbs include Folsom, Fair Oaks, Roseville, Rocklin, Davis

Many places near the California coast would fit your criteria, with the important exception of affordability.

Last edited by la_cavalière; 08-03-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 PM

[quote=la_cavalière;40674855]Check out Sacramento, California:

Low humidity, but not desert dry - Check (Mediterranean climate), although very dry lately due to the drought
Clean air - Sacramento scores low in air quality, but personally I haven't noticed anything
Mild temps year round- four seasons and rain are fine with me - Check - summer temps can be hot but very low humidity plus much of the Sac area gets refreshing Delta Breeze. Unlike the Midwest, it cools down significantly on summer evenings/mornings (60s)
No snow or very little - Check
No tornadoes - Check
Tree lined streets - Check (Sacramento is "The City of Trees")
Beautiful scenery - The city of Sac is pretty flat, but it's close to foothills, Sierra Mountains, Lake Tahoe, Napa/Sonoma, San Francisco, California coast, national & state parks
Reasonably affordable - nice homes for around 350K - Check - Sacramento is one of the more affordable areas in CA
College / University nearby would be nice for continuing education and events - Check - Sac State (CSUS), UC Davis
Suburb close to a larger city - Sacramento is 2 hours to SF. Sac suburbs include Folsom, Fair Oaks, Roseville, Rocklin, Davis

Many places near the California coast would fit your criteria, with the important exception of affordability.[/QUOTE

Thanks! SOunds nice, but aren't you experiencing uncontrolled wildfires right near you at the moment, or is that some other area?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:56 PM

356 posts, read 698,697 times
The fires are pretty far from Sacramento proper, in the rural areas. We had a couple recent fires in the Sierras and a couple near the Napa Valley. The Rocky Fire is a couple hours from here, but is burning one of our favorite hiking areas. Occasionally we'll have grass fires on the American River Parkway, but firefighters snuff them out quickly.

Fires are a part of life all over California and the West.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 PM

Hello again!

So, I'm still searching for a place to move to. I'm seriously looking at somewhere near Seattle, but Northern California is also on my list..

I wonder about shopping. I'd like to be near a mall perhaps where I can find some big stores like we have where I live now, a college or university. hospitals, veterinarians, pretty places to walk my dog. Pretty, safe suburban, a bit artsy, nice vibe, community feel.

I want to be in an area where there are lots of people from other parts of the country and who are friendly and open.

Any more ideas from anyone out there?

Thanks.

Last edited by CuppaTea; 10-08-2015 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 12:50 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,807,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
I've looked into the Olympia WA area as suggested by someone, but I'm finding a lot of people think it rains too much and it's gloomy quite often. I get enough gloom here in the Midwest in winter. I don't think that's the best option, but perhaps there are other PNW cities that get more sun.

Please...I'd love to get more ideas and info.
If you've had enough gloom, then WA/OR isn't really going to cut it for you. The eastern portions do get more sun and is less rainy overall, but does get quite gloomy in the winter.

You could try Boise, but you might find it too "desert dry".

Old 04-16-2016, 11:24 PM

Hello C-D people! I'm bringing my post back now to see if anyone else would like to give me their opinions! I am so ready to get outta here! I will NOT spend one more winter here...no more snow for me! And I don't really want to go through another hot, humid summer here either.
So please, re-read my original post and the replies and let me know your ideas.

BTW, I am also going back over all the suggestions here, but I hope to get some new, additional views and suggestions.

I'm looking into: Sacramento, CA, Olympia, Sequim, Edmonds at the moment....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CuppaTea; 04-16-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.