Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,161 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to transfer to one of my company's branches in any of the other lower 48 states and I want to move out of the current state I am in because of the following reasons...

1. Cliques - my social life has suffered hugely moving here. A lot of the people still act like they are in high school and I find a lot of the people here very immature and too focused on partying rather than careers.

2. Too Much of a Party/Club Scene - I am a career-driven person and when I was in college I used to hang with my friends in coffee shops and bars. I used to have such a great time. But when I moved here (a new city for a good job away from everyone I know) I made friends at work and in random places but they are obsessed with going out every weekend and drinking alcohol and going to a packed dance club to have casual sex. Not my scene at all. I am not a total bore; my ideal night would be drinking and hanging out with my friends in a bar or a coffee shop and occasionally toking.

3. I don't feel like there are any likeminded people around here - when I was at college I had such a big circle of friends like me but when I moved to work here everyone is so different. I'm liberal and atheist and most are conservative and religious (ironically they love to party!). I am also more into music than sports but this is a big on college football and sports (I am a casual sports fan and a big soccer fan).

4. Lack of people with degrees - most of the locals are not educated. I want to be in a more intellectual city that is politically active and liberal.

Where should I go?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 PM

23 posts, read 23,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhelmsman View Post
I have the opportunity to transfer to one of my company's branches in any of the other lower 48 states and I want to move out of the current state I am in because of the following reasons...

1. Cliques - my social life has suffered hugely moving here. A lot of the people still act like they are in high school and I find a lot of the people here very immature and too focused on partying rather than careers.

2. Too Much of a Party/Club Scene - I am a career-driven person and when I was in college I used to hang with my friends in coffee shops and bars. I used to have such a great time. But when I moved here (a new city for a good job away from everyone I know) I made friends at work and in random places but they are obsessed with going out every weekend and drinking alcohol and going to a packed dance club to have casual sex. Not my scene at all. I am not a total bore; my ideal night would be drinking and hanging out with my friends in a bar or a coffee shop and occasionally toking.

3. I don't feel like there are any likeminded people around here - when I was at college I had such a big circle of friends like me but when I moved to work here everyone is so different. I'm liberal and atheist and most are conservative and religious (ironically they love to party!). I am also more into music than sports but this is a big on college football and sports (I am a casual sports fan and a big soccer fan).

4. Lack of people with degrees - most of the locals are not educated. I want to be in a more intellectual city that is politically active and liberal.

Where should I go?

Thanks
Washington D.C, Chicago or Boston

Old 08-04-2015, 05:36 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,253,997 times
Mostly you're describing needing to find different friends, which you might be able to do where you are.

You don't give enough other info on what you want in a geographical area.

Intellectuals are generally found wherever there is high tech industries, or colleges.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbangeo View Post
Washington D.C, Chicago or Boston
Never considered Chicago! Would it fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Mostly you're describing needing to find different friends, which you might be able to do where you are.

You don't give enough other info on what you want in a geographical area.

Intellectuals are generally found wherever there is high tech industries, or colleges.
True but I have tried to branch out (i.e joining similar interest clubs) but mostly everyone is the same. It seems inherent in this city's social culture

In a geographical area I want: not too hot, four seasons preferably, nice downtown area, good setting, low crime

Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times
Think cities, not states. People don't live in entire states. They live in cities, and more than that, in neighborhoods in (or suburbs of) particular cities. Look at

San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley
Seattle
New York City
Washington DC
Boston

I love Chicago, but it is in many ways still a very Middle-American, blue-collar type of place -- that's part of its charm and delight. But it certainly has its share of intellectuals, hipsters, and soccer buffs. Find the right crowd there and it can be wonderful. I just wonder how easy it would be for you to do that.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,499,477 times
Seattle, Boston, Chicago, DC all have well-educated, transient populations and would be a fit for what you described. Probably in that order too.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 PM

23 posts, read 34,405 times
Try Lexington Kentucky. It's a liberal conclave in a conservative state. If you're a liberal in Kentucky, you move there. It has a gay mayor. It is also one of the most educated cities in the country. And people there aren't snobs.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,950,070 times
It might help to say where you are now

Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:

Where should I go?

Thanks
I would say first and foremost, Washington DC fits your criteria best. Cities like NYC, Boston and Chicago are very pro sports-oriented which doesn't seem to be something you want constant involvement in.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM

47 posts, read 52,829 times
Quote:

Where should I go?

Thanks
I would recommend Seattle, Portland, Columbus, or Austin based on your preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.