Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:56 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times

Advertisements

My vote is for the Dolly Sods/Cannan Valley/Blackwater Falls area of West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 AM

135 posts, read 175,338 times
Adirondacks, easily.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:28 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
My vote is for the Dolly Sods/Cannan Valley/Blackwater Falls area of West Virginia.
Pretty much all of West VA except the panhandle should be a National Park. It's already a national treasure. it is the most beautiful state in the Republic.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,967 times
I am surprised there is not a National Park somewhere on the bluffs of the Mississippi River. It could be MN, WI, IA, IL.... it is a gorgeous area and one that frames the most important river in the country.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
I am surprised there is not a National Park somewhere on the bluffs of the Mississippi River. It could be MN, WI, IA, IL.... it is a gorgeous area and one that frames the most important river in the country.
There was a big push (including a book) by some guy to use a big Wisconsin chunk and Call it "Driftless Rivers National Park" Driftless Rivers

It's a very unique and unknown-to-most area, though I'm not sure it's placed where it would be a draw, and the amount of farming (half or so farms, half forests) might turn off those in search of "true" wilderness. I love the area, and consider it the Midwest's best kept natural secret.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Columbia River Gorge...Oregon/Washington border: https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1366&bih=599

Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
There are many off-the-beaten-trail areas in the country that are as spectacularly beautiful as many of the national parks but for one reason or another have avoided acquiring park status.

What area do you think deserves to be a national park, but isn't yet?

I'll kick this off with:

Red River Gorge (Kentucky/Tennessee)
An impressive collection of hundreds of arches, natural bridges, sandstone cliffs and other rockforms. It's as if someone scraped out a chunk of Utah's landscape and dropped it in the southeastern climate with trees and humidity growing over it.

The eastern US is underserved by national parks. I think this would be a very logical addition, since it would be very different from all the other eastern parks we currently have, and it's a rare and precious type of scenery. And in this case it could bring much deserved tourism to an area that needs it.
One of the reasons that it may not be a National Park is because it is already a State Park.

However a State Park can sometimes be changed to a National Park if the state is willing to give up control. For instance, Saratoga Battlefield, originally a New York SP, was turned into Saratoga National Historical Park in 1938.

Here are a couple of possibilities that I can think of in the Northeast. Some of them may already have NNL status but not Federal control:

Maine - Baxter State Park to Baxter National Park
New York - Adirondack State Preserve to Adirondack National Preserve
New York - Niagara Falls State Park to Niagara Falls National Landmark
New York - Letchworth State Park to Letchworth Gorge National Landmark
New Jersey - Wharton and other NJ State Forests to Pine Barrens National Preserve
Pennsylvania - Ricketts Glenn State Park to Ricketts Glenn National Landmark or Park
Pennsylvania - Tioga State Forest (Pine Creek Gorge) to Pine Creek Gorge National Landmark

In addition, White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire and perhaps parts of Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont could be upgraded to National Park status.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
New Jersey - Wharton and other NJ State Forests to Pine Barrens National Preserve

It's already Pinelands Nation Reserve. Is there much of a difference between a reserve and a preserve?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There was a big push (including a book) by some guy to use a big Wisconsin chunk and Call it "Driftless Rivers National Park" Driftless Rivers

It's a very unique and unknown-to-most area, though I'm not sure it's placed where it would be a draw, and the amount of farming (half or so farms, half forests) might turn off those in search of "true" wilderness. I love the area, and consider it the Midwest's best kept natural secret.
I agree. While it isn't wilderness, there is a lot of wide open space because the land is farmed, state parks, or state natural areas. It has everything...scenery, very ancient history, biological diversity, and geological diversity.

Very short documentary on the Driftless which gets into all of it...https://youtu.be/xn_DOPumFkU?t=3m19s

Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Craters of the Moon - west of Idaho Falls, ID.

NASA trains astronauts here. More training just ended last week. It's truly a different geology and setting most than most have seen.

Most tourists driving to Yellowstone National Park (YNP) from Idaho Falls don't know Craters of the Moon exists. An easy day trip from Idaho Falls regardless if visitors are driving the entire trip to YNP or fly into Idaho Falls and rent a car to go see the lava formations.

Those who try to add Jackson Hole, WY and /the Grand Tetons to a YNP vacation would be surprised how different Craters of the Moon is from Jackson Hole.

Geologic Activity - Craters Of The Moon National Monument & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service) It's not a National Park, but trying to become one with ~ 200,000 visitors/year.

Check it out if you haven't seen it, some prefer to spend their entire vacation here.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.