Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:15 PM

707 posts, read 749,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It would probably qualify as a National Monument by itself. Expanded to encompass more of the Jemez, say the Pajarito plateau, Bandelier, etc. It could be a NP.

But personally, I would hate to see a 2,000 car parking lot, an array of toilets, a souvenir shop, food court and giant lodge built up there not to mention turning Jemez Springs into a commercial tourist town and Rt. 4 converted into a 4-lane highway to accommodate the increase in traffic.
Not necessarily. I would hate to see that happen too, but I doubt the pueblos would sit by and let them build so much infrastructure, and certainly not in the caldera itself.

Anywho, the difference is not size or available infrastructure, but bureaucracy. A National Monument is made by executive order, a National Park must be approved by an act of Congress.

I think it would be good as one of those low volume NP's that has minimal infrastructure, just like Guadalupe NP. The toilet arrayes and tables and such are already being put in, and a ski lodge has been there for a while...don't rightly remember which one though.

Last edited by kehkou; 08-16-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 04:29 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
I have a couple:

Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho (Once proposed to be "Idaho National Park)

Atchafalaya Basin, Louisiana
The Sawtooth's have a much more important status than a National Park, they are classified Wilderness.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times
Bankhead National Forest/Black Warrior Wildlife Management Area/Sipsey Wilderness form a pretty large chunk of wilderness in north Alabama which contains a large number of species. That could be a good one.

There's a fairly large stretch of sparsely inhabited land between Macon and Savannah, GA. There's nothing particularly interesting or special about it, but it is sort of a path of least resistance in the east.

Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia would be another good one.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
I think if a second national park were to be made in my home state of NC, the most logical place for it seems like Linville Gorge. Often referred to as "Grand Canyon of the East", I think it takes after Yosemite a bit more.

5 Eastern "Grand Canyons"
Table Rock
The Mummy
Cathedral Falls
The Amphitheater
Linville Falls (which is run by the National Park Service)
Linville Caverns

Some of the most rugged, 'out there' terrain in the southeastern US.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:22 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The Sawtooth's have a much more important status than a National Park, they are classified Wilderness.
TohobitPeak, I'm not very knowledgable about how the classifications of Preserve, Nat'l Park and wilderness are decided. Is there tutorial or graphics for those who don't know?

I posted earlier about Craters of the Moon. Arco and Butte County want that at Park status. Why not, except NASA was training there two weeks ago .

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.