U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times

Advertisements

I stole this idea from a different thread, but here goes.

In 1993, when we lived in Chicago, I received a call from a headhunter. He told me about an opportunity in Birmingham, Alabama.

Birmingham? I laughed, and began to turn down the interview. I had images of a dirty, racist, backwoods hellhole. But the headhunter, a guy I knew and trusted, told me to really consider it.

So I had a couple of phone interviews and was finally asked to fly down and interview in person over a weekend. It was March, and it had been a long, cold winter in Chicago, so I agreed. That being said, I practically had to force my wife onto the plane.

We were totally shocked. We found a beautiful, gracious city with very attractive homes, terrific restaurants, and a surprisingly vibrant arts scene.

To make a long story short, we decided to move. Our friends and relatives were totally confused. "Why move to that backwater?" they asked.

Fifteen years later, you couldn't pay me enough to leave. And two of our friends have made the move as well. Others like to visit on their way to the beach.

So. What about you? Any town you visited that totally went against your negative perceptions? I'll also add Columbus, Georgia, and Chattanooga, Tennessee to this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,292,436 times
Denver...I had never previously been to the U.S Mountain region, so I didn't know what to expect. Of course I knew it was scenic, but we didn't realize or anticipate how impressive Denver is. It has to be one of the cleanest American cities, with great amenities, communities & overall living standards. The Red Rock was a great attraction. Denver was to us, a completely surprising, refreshing place. Some ignorant people back home were surprised we were so impressed with Denver (mind you, we were there just after summer)- I just told them, "Go to Denver & you'll see what I mean." (Now, Salt Lake City evoked different opinions in us on a subsequent trip).
Also, Atlanta...although it wasn't like I knew I'd be disappointed by the place. Lots of people lambast the metro Atlanta 'way' of its sprawl, traffic, etc. But I really enjoyed Atlanta. It had some really great places to see. But down there, it may have been more the food, weather, and the inhabitants' friendliness that made me like the place so much.
And finally, the string of places along an Alaskan cruise. Such untouched, pleasant towns. I was surprisingly charmed by them.
Of course, it's not like I lived in those places, just visited. Although I can imagine living in Denver (in the Spring) & Atlanta.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM

681 posts, read 2,772,703 times
Denver is awesome. I also liked Denver when I visited there, but since I didn't have any bad expectations about Denver I can't say it surprised me.

I was really pleasantly surprised with Washington DC when we visited there a few years ago. It was our first family vacation completely on our own (we'd always stayed with friends or relatives who showed us around wherever we were) and we were prepared for the worst. Yet the city was clean, neat, and felt remarkably safe (at least the parts we visited). We stayed across the river in Virginia, took the fantastic subway in every day and even walked to a nice restaurant and the grocery store late at night. Didn't use the car for a week straight!

Also, I was really impressed with Lincoln, NE when traveling through there (coming back from Denver, oddly enough). Lincoln is so neat and surprisingly urban. Much cooler than Omaha. Yuck.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM

349 posts, read 1,293,450 times
Mobile, AL - I had zero expectation when I went there and was pleasantly surprised that they have a nice downtown with great nightlife. Also people there were extremely friendly.

L.A. - I had never been there but I got to visit for one day and I was very impressed with the areas that I was able to get to. I had expected it to be dirty and ugly, but I found it quite the opposite.

Vancouver, BC - I wasn't so much shocked that I liked the city, I was just overwhelmed with how much I liked the city. That place just blew my mind when I was there, especially with how well a city can be revitalized if effort is put in.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,727,189 times
Riverside, California. I stopped by there on my way driving back to Phoenix from San Diego (I know, the long way, but I wanted to see something different). I had heard so much bad stuff about it I was expecting to see the ghetto. Instead, I was pleasantly surpirsed. UC Riverside is a nice campus, nestled right up to the hills (which were green when I went two weeks ago). Some beautiful views of snow capped peaks in the distance. Downtown Riverside looked like a nice suburban downtown, with a pedestrian mall. The crown jewel there is the Mission Inn, a beautiful building. Driving into Riverside I noticed some pollution in the distance, but not much. Traffic was backed up a little bit on I-215 since they were doing construction, but nothing to cry about. I just don't get what people say is so horrible about it??!!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,952,804 times
Nashville was much bigger than I expected, I really liked it a lot from what I saw!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,000,107 times
Philadelphia- I expected a crime ridden city, with urban decay everywhere. But I was a city with so much history, and the history districts in the city were well taken care of.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 AM

167 posts, read 164,782 times
Houston, TX

I had to move there for 4 years for a special school, and I just got back 2 years ago, I certainly LOVED living there. At first, I thought it was just boring, hot, humid, and just plain nothingness. There's probably plenty of things about the city I don't like, but the people there were friendly and most convinces, like grocery stores and restraints were literally walking distance. I will never forget living there.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:22 PM

11,893 posts, read 32,933,878 times
Saint Louis and Baltimore.

I was expecting both cities to be run down, dirty, and dull. On the contrary, I found cities that had fantastic urban neighborhoods, lots of night life, beautiful architecture, and a ton of civic pride.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,663,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Saint Louis and Baltimore.

I was expecting both cities to be run down, dirty, and dull. On the contrary, I found cities that had fantastic urban neighborhoods, lots of night life, beautiful architecture, and a ton of civic pride.
I'm glad you enjoyed St. Louis! People look at crime statistics and sometimes assume those things about a city, but statistics don't tell you everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or