Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.83%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.84%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 70 18.32%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,430,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForLaughing View Post
The California Coast is the best place to live in the country if you are wealthy. If you are not wealthy, the west coast kind of sucks and does not offer a high quality of life. If you are not wealthy and want a high quality of life, I would stay away from the West Coast. The Midwest offers the best bang for the buck quality of life if you ask me.
The midwest sucks though, that's why it's cheap
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 04:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,902,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The midwest sucks though, that's why it's cheap

Sure, some areas "suck", but the nice areas FAR outnumber the sucky ones. There are PLENTY of sucky areas in AZ and throughout the rest of the West Coast, too. It doesnt mean the entire West Coast sucks now, does it?

I can name about 100 SUCKY places in CA alone. Places that I wouldnt want my worst enemies living. I can name several in AZ as well. And if you think the Midwest is "cheap", I invite you to go house hunting in Chicago's northern and western suburbs. Tell me thats "cheap".

Old 08-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Sure, some areas "suck", but the nice areas FAR outnumber the sucky ones. There are PLENTY of sucky areas in AZ and throughout the rest of the West Coast, too. It doesnt mean the entire West Coast sucks now, does it?

I can name about 100 SUCKY places in CA alone. Places that I wouldnt want my worst enemies living. I can name several in AZ as well. And if you think the Midwest is "cheap", I invite you to go house hunting in Chicago's northern and western suburbs. Tell me thats "cheap".
Chicago is the exception to the rule, like Miami is to Florida or Atlanta to Georgia.

I'm mainly talking Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, those places all blow

Old 08-06-2016, 09:49 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,318,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Yes, but there's no denying that overall the Midwest is less desirable than any place on the West Coast. Even if you don't care about amenities, culture, etc., the climate of the Midwest alone puts it far, far behind the coasts in terms of desirability, for most people. Chicago and maybe Minneapolis are the desirable exceptions, but ai can guarantee you the average American would still choose a West Coastt metro over those if money wasn't an issue.

This forum is filled with too many sensitive posters who have an inferiority complex about the Midwest and will bend over backwards go make it sound more desirable than it actually is. The Midwest is not a desirable region. It's like tryig really hard to argue that Janet Reno is pretty. C'mon, cut the crap and get real. This is coming from a lifelong Midwesterner.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Yes, but there's no denying that overall the Midwest is less desirable than any place on the West Coast. Even if you don't care about amenities, culture, etc., the climate of the Midwest alone puts it far, far behind the coasts in terms of desirability, for most people. Chicago and maybe Minneapolis are the desirable exceptions, but ai can guarantee you the average American would still choose a West Coastt metro over those if money wasn't an issue.

This forum is filled with too many sensitive posters who have an inferiority complex about the Midwest and will bend over backwards go make it sound more desirable than it actually is. The Midwest is not a desirable region. It's like tryig really hard to argue that Janet Reno is pretty. C'mon, cut the crap and get real. This is coming from a lifelong Midwesterner.
Exactly, people don't dream of making it big in Omaha or Wichita. I'd honestly rather live in Corcoran,CA than Chicago just for the weather alone, and that's saying something!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:11 PM

559 posts, read 504,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, people don't dream of making it big in Omaha or Wichita. I'd honestly rather live in Corcoran,CA than Chicago just for the weather alone, and that's saying something!
Uhh.. You ever heard of Warren Buffett? You might want to cease the sweeping generalizations here..

Your appetite of disdain for the midlands part of the US (NE, IA, MO, KS) is well documented throughout this forum. I get it. You hate it in these parts.. But millions, including the majority that voted in this little year old poll, disagree with your commentary.. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.. But you speak for yourself.. Not for many others who post specifically on City Data..

Peace...

Old 08-06-2016, 03:31 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,351,500 times
Quote:

Totally true, but I think people from the south have the same issues.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Uhh.. You ever heard of Warren Buffett? You might want to cease the sweeping generalizations here..

Your appetite of disdain for the midlands part of the US (NE, IA, MO, KS) is well documented throughout this forum. I get it. You hate it in these parts.. But millions, including the majority that voted in this little year old poll, disagree with your commentary.. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.. But you speak for yourself.. Not for many others who post specifically on City Data..

Peace...
I just think people who live in the middle of the country are either easily entertained or stuck. Kansas seems to be where dreams go to die, I guess growing up in the Northeast jaded me, but nothing ever appealed to me in that region of the country.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 PM

605 posts, read 663,380 times
I have been to the Midwest (visited Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) in addition to the West Coast and from what I see cities such as Cleveland, Minneapolis-St.Paul, Chicago, Milwaukee, and even metro Detroit offer nearly the same amenities (ie museums, cultural amenities, ethnic restaurants, large airports offering direct flight around the world, etc) as those found in major East Coast and West Coast metros plus in a few of those markets the pay scale is either the same or a little less while the cost of living tends to be significantly cheaper (with the exception of a few areas in Chicagoland) which gives average workers much more disposable income.

Even regarding outdoor recreation opportunities while admittedly fewer than in the West Coast states, places such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Chicagoland, and Northern Ohio have access to things such as large expanses of Great Lakes coastline and beaches, state parks, nature preserves, two national parks, and a few national lakeshores, etc. In addition the school systems in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois, are better on average than the school districts in West Coast states such as Hawaii or Oregon with Michigan and Ohio being ranked above California and Arizona as far as quality of public school education is concerned.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

While the West Coast is a very beautiful part of the country, given the cost and expense it takes to live in places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle I don't see how it could have the best quality of life when the average person would even have trouble finding an affordable place to live in the most desirable areas even if the weather is great.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,376,486 times
Quote:
Chicago and maybe Minneapolis are the desirable exceptions, but ai can guarantee you the average American would still choose a West Coastt metro over those if money wasn't an issue.
Chicagoland being desirable, yes. Downstate Illinois and the surrounding states, no!

L.A. over Chicago, hands down! S.F. over Chicago, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.