Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Redeeming City Worthy of the Most Redemption
Detroit 3 5.88%
Cleveland 9 17.65%
Birmingham 4 7.84%
St Louis 6 11.76%
Baltimore 2 3.92%
Memphis 0 0%
Oklahoma City 1 1.96%
Atlanta 5 9.80%
Los Angeles 6 11.76%
Miami 3 5.88%
Houston 6 11.76%
Jackson, Mississippi 1 1.96%
And Phoenix 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times

Advertisements

Say something Redeeming about one, some, or all of these cities. You Must say something Redeeming about these cities or you need to get off the thread. Let's for once for One thread stop the bad mouthing of these cities.

-Detroit
-Cleveland
-Birmingham
-St Louis
-Baltimore
-Memphis
-Oklahoma City
-Atlanta
-Los Angeles
-Miami
-Houston
-Jackson Mississippi
-And Phoenix

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 08-14-2015 at 01:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:26 AM

-Detroit=Heard its downtown is thriving
-Cleveland=Lebron came back to the Cavaliers
-Birmingham= Heard its downtown is on fire (in a good way)
-St Louis= The Cardinals / Forrest Park - the "Central Park" of St louis
-Baltimore= Ummmmm the Inner Harbor
-Memphis= Very unique cultural vibe
-Oklahoma City= Ummmmm that big new shiny skyscraper they built (Devon Energy Tower?)
-Atlanta= Keeps drawing in Company HQ's and the good jobs that come with that
-Los Angeles= Still has Beautiful weather and hot babes
-Miami= Ummmmm 3rd largest Central Business District? After New York and Chicago
-Houston= Energy capital USA
-Jackson Mississippi= State Capital

Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Surprised you didn't add Phoenix as that is always trashed on in the forums.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:35 AM

Oh ok Phoenix too then

Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
-Detroit: Large Metro that offers a lot outside of the failing city proper, that said the Downtown area is getting better and it has a great airport

-Cleveland: Really cool architecture, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Water Front Parks

-Birmingham: Southern Fried Chicken, History, BBQ, Laid Back

-St Louis: History, great architecture in the nicer areas. Has a few great Universities.

-Baltimore: The inner harbor is nice I guess?

-Memphis: Beale Street, Blues, BBQ and a cool vibe. A sort of place that grows on you if you're there a lot.

-Oklahoma City: Uh Bricktown...Nicer freeways

-Atlanta: The tree canopys are cool. Nice airport, thriving shopping scene

-Los Angeles: LA is awesome you guys are nuts sometimes. Culture, grit, beauty, plastic, the beach and Mexican food all in one?

-Miami: Latin Culture, Beach

-Houston: If you moved there it's usually for a very high paying job that greatly improved your quality of life. The city is nice, especially the suburbs and the North/Western side of town

-Jackson Mississippi: Eh, Jackson doesn't like Jackson. It does have a very down home feel, it feels very real (which is hard to explain until you spend some time there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxdACy-LqTA
This video sorta captures it

-Phoenix: Gets an unfair amount of flack around here. It's got everything any other large city has in a better laid out format. It's downtown is thriving in a way I've never seen before, it's on the verge of almost doubling the size of it's light rail, reducing it's thoroughfares in favor of buses, rail and bicycles, it's diverse, clean and gritty. The natural beauty of Phoenix is unlike any other city in the US (Except Tucson but that's in a smaller league). It has a really cool mid-century feel to it with the style of housing around the city proper, the neon signs on the older businesses and has some of the nicest resorts in the US. It has the highest rated Pizza restaurant in the US (Pizzeria Bianco), outstanding Sonoran Mexican Food supports all 4 major sports franchises as well as almost every minor league sports, women's sport and more baseball than you could imagine.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
I agree that Phoenix gets bashed on here quite a bit. In spite of the so-called negatives the city and surrounding areas are growing and attracting people from all over the U.S. The desert isn't for everyone, but many people now call it home.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:56 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
This is a good idea.

-Detroit: Its great bones and dirt-cheap real estate make it ripe for a revival, which seems like it may be in the early stages of happening. There's genuine excitement going on there. Pretty much the prototype for a city that can develop a great arts scene and later on become a destination.

-Cleveland: Something of an under-the-radar food city, with an enviable lakefront setting, a growing downtown and vibrant, youthful neighborhoods, particularly on the west side. LeBron saw something in it -- who are you to doubt LeBron?

-Birmingham: I don't know too much about it, but from what I've seen, it's got an underrated downtown. After decades of decline, it's now experiencing steady growth.

-St Louis: The Gateway Arch is one of America's most dramatic landmarks. Laclede's Landing is supposed to be a fun time. Citygarden has repeatedly been cited as one of the nation's best newer public spaces. And everyone agrees it's one of the best baseball cities around.

-Baltimore: As long as we're on baseball, it has the best ballpark in the U.S., and the Inner Harbor is one of the most successful urban revival projects in American history. John Waters loves it -- who are you to doubt John Waters?

-Memphis: One of only a few cities where music is an integral, inescapable part of the culture. Compare Austin and New Orleans. Those cities are always fun places to be.

-Oklahoma City: Bricktown is great. Really well-planned, well-utilized public space with acres of attractions, probably the best attempt to replicate the success of San Antonio's River Walk.

-Atlanta: I haven't been there, and everyone bashes it, but it always looks great in photos. It's the undisputed capital of an entire region. The BeltLine is a revolutionary project that's attempting to bring the city together through parkland, an ambitious and admirable goal.

-Los Angeles: I guess the point of this is, "Say something nice about these cities everyone hates," but L.A. is legitimately one of my favorite places. It's maybe the most unique city in the U.S. -- only L.A. is L.A. You can't help but feeling like a bit of a celebrity when you visit. It's the only city I can think of that retains a 1950s aesthetic -- I mean that in a good way.

-Miami: Never liked it, and then I went back for the first in years, and surprise, I liked it. I'll avoid talking about Miami Beach because that's not in the city limits, but the skyline is getting really attractive and distinctive in an age when everyone is putting up the same glass boxes. Always liked Coconut Grove even when I didn't like much else.

-Houston: I hear there's some great ethnic food. They seem to finally be trying to create some cohesion through intelligent development. I love the hill in center field in Minute Maid Park, with an in-play flagpole! Oops, I just heard they're removing the hill in 2016. Well, I said other good things.

-Jackson Mississippi: I hear you can get some killer barbecue there.

-And Phoenix: I once drove through the Southwest in late December. When I got in my car for one stretch, it was probably around freezing. I drove for a few hours, got to Phoenix, rolled down my window, and it was warm. I had the best burrito I've ever had there.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:41 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
There is nothing inherently wrong about the city of Detroit -- it merely embodies the workings, both positive and negative, of an economic system that can't be subverted by any politician over the long run; and it is the actions of those politicians, and the mentality to whom they pander, that is the root cause of most of the present misery. If the political obstacle known as the City of Detroit were to disappear, so would a lot of the problems.

There are certain conditions unique to the auto industry which magnify the effects; manufacturing automobiles isn't really a "from scratch" proposition. The industry itself evolved from two predecessors - stoves (foundry work) and carriages (hubs, axles, and steering gear), plus the offshoot of automobile bodies which involved a number of crafts. And the collection and consolidation of dozens, perhaps hundreds of component parts, was a foundation of the evolving discipline of logistics. All these conditions provide a huge incentive to cut corners at every opportunity, which usually creates a new burden for someone else to deal with.

Within that environment, several generations of newcomers -- farm boys lured from the drudgery of agrarian existence, a wide variety of European ethnic groups, and later subsistence farmers, both white and black, from the Deep South -- cane to Detroit. Some succeeded, some moved on, and some faced their own personal tragedies.The process is, sadly, central to the human condition. it can be mitigated on a case-by-case basis. But any ideologue who rambles along preaching "class struggles", or whatever, is merely selling snake oil.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-14-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
I don't know why cities like LA, Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, and Miami are on this list; they're all pretty popular.

As for St. Louis; 1 out of 5 people are in their 20s, third largest start-up scene in the country, affordable cost of living, Esquire Magazine voted it the best bar city in America, and we have the best baseball team in the country

Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 PM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
-Detroit - Lots of cute black chicks, cool, down-to-earth people, lots to do, rich cultural and industrial history

-Cleveland - Bone Thugs & Harmony, Gerald Levert, Drew Carey, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Ohio chicks are cute too

-Birmingham - Attractive voluptuous black women, BBQ, close to Atlanta, Magic City Classic

-St Louis - Beer (NOT Bud),White Castle, cool history, far enough for vaycay, yet close to home, easy to live there, fierce civic pride, awesome zoo, Metrolink

-Baltimore - Ravens, crab cakes, cool folks live there, Morgan (State Univ), Johns Hopkins

-Memphis - BBQ, Beale Street, BBQ, Jack Pirtle Chicken, BBQ, vibrant inner city high school marching band scene

-Oklahoma City - Birthplace of Sonic, OKC Thunder

-Atlanta - Lots to do, abundance of eligible attractive women, great nightlife, found a way to build rail transit

-Los Angeles - laid back people/culture, great weather, California GUUURRRRLLLLLLLSSSSSS

-Miami - Beaches, color, nightlife, exotic women in abundance

-Houston - Low cost of living, jobs, Southern Girls with Southern charm, great seafood & cajun

-Jackson Mississippi - Jackson State University, Ryan's, big booty chocolate women

-And Phoenix - possible site for relocation with my current organization. Fine Mexi-mamis... interesting blend of white & mexican culture, interesting desert scenery

Last edited by 2000_Watts; 08-14-2015 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.